“Better than Average, Not Quite 'Very Good'”

Novotel London Waterloo
Ranked #320 of 1,089 Hotels in London
USA
“Better than Average, Not Quite 'Very Good'”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

I agree with most of the other reviews - good location, if you don't mind walking a bit to get to the nearest Tube station.
If you need a real landmark, the hotel is right next door to the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain. If you pick up the free London map found all over town, the Royal Pharmaceutical Society is on the map, located on the east side of Lambeth Bridge. We took the Tube from Heathrow (Piccadilly Line) to the Piccadilly Circus station and changed to the Bakerloo line, and got off at the Lambeth North station. Exit the station, walk down Kennington Road, turn right on Lambeth Road, and walk toward the Thames. The hotel is around one-half mile from the Tube Station on the left. If you have a lot of luggage, it is a bit of a walk but we managed just fine.
The hotel itself was fine. Friendly staff. Good sized room for London. Quiet area - no street noise. The bed was comfortable. Heating and Air controls were good. Small fridge, safe; love-seat was nice addition so you didn't have to sit on the bed while watching tv. Bathroom had shower and bathtub, but strangely the commode was in a separate room with no faucet. No big deal, but I would definitely pack some Purell for all the contact surfaces since there is no way to wash up on the spot.
We passed on the expensive breakfast and never ate dinner there so I cannot comment on the quality of the food.
Proximity to the Embankment was wonderful. Walked everywhere and enjoyed our stay very much.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JanDeaux
NovotelWaterloo, General Manager at Novotel London Waterloo, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Sir / Madam

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us.

I am glad to read you enjoyed the hotel, its location and the love-seat available in the bedrooms.

We hope to see you again on your next visit to London.

Kind Regards

Bernard Panisse

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Stockport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

A good quality hotel within very easy walking distance of the major attractions in London, (Westminster Abbey, Houses of Parliament, Lambeth Palace, Whitehall, The London Eye, The Imperial War Museum, etc, etc).

Bar charges 'reasonable 'prices, considering this is central London and the restaurant is good too.

On major bus routes and frequent taxi traffic passes the front door so transportation is never a problem.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the palace (Lambeth Palace, the London home of the Archbishop of Canterbu...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sueandandywilson
Dear Sir / Madam

I am glad to read you enjoyed the hotel, its location and the view to Lambeth Palace.

We hope to see you again on your next visit to London.

Kind Regards

Queensland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

I like Accor hotels...however my stay at Novotel Waterloo was a little average.
First of all, location is great - just across the river, bus no 3 outside goes straight into town, Westminster/Picadilly Circus/Regent St and finishes in Oxford Street - better than a tube for sure.
My stay went as follows:
1st day arrived, was put into a room next to the lift, so that night was a nightmare - every person going into the lift talking, laughing, yelling kept me awake all night long, so I requested a room move the following day and explained why, and asked for a room at the end of the hallway away from the lifts. Got back from my day out, receieved my new key and proceeded with my luggage (no assistance offered) to the new room....which was on another floor but now directly opposite the lifts on the other side...hmmm what didn't they understand? I then got a new room...took my luggage again myself, swiped my key...and was welcomed by the French occupants of that room, who were just as surprised as me! By this time, my patience was wearing thin, and again proceeded to reception and finally was offered a room, that was away from the lift, not already occupied and I even got assistance with my luggage.
The room was fine, however the housekeeping service from day to day varied - one day all was serviced correctly, the next day only half was serviced - perhaps the housekeeper had to leave to do something else and forgot that my room was not completed. Another day, my 3rd pillow on my bed was removed...never to be seen again (I hope it's ok) and then conviniently the metal 'flap' that keeps the tissue box in the wall was open when I came back one day...which then makes the tissue box fall out, and is quite annoying as it flops over the sink and taps...making washing your face a challange when your elbow is trying to push the metal flap up so you can get to the water with your hands. The flap was down for 3 days, however each day I did try to make it obvious that the flap needed to be closed to the housekeeper...but it never happened...
Breakfast - good food, nice selection, pastries, cereals, fruit, yoghurts, cold cheese & meat and they typical hot english breakfast offerings.
Staff in general could do with an injection of happiness. Reception staff were not overly friendly or welcoming. Restaurant staff were more tired than me in the morning and they showed it...except one happy chap who made my day. The only happy guy in the entire restaurant/hotel who was happy, had personality and he was the guy who served me my coffee - maybe he should be promoted to reception? Novotel Waterloo needs a few more of him there! (Sorry, I wish I remembered his name, but anyone staying there will pick him straight away, he is like a diamond in the rough)
I've tried to make this humourous as I have a close attachment to Accor, however in all seriousness, the actual events and service levels could be improved and would make all the difference to returning again or going to another Accor hotel in London.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the carpark are noisy and try to request for a room away from the lifts
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
NovotelWaterloo, General Manager at Novotel London Waterloo, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor.
I was sorry to learn of the disappointing service you received during you stay. I am pleased to have had the opportunity to discuss this matter with you directly and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed in this hotel overnight as I was going to see a show in the west end. Desk and Bar staff are really nice and helpful. There is a down-point to my review because of the cost which is fairly step if you have a small budget, furthermore you will have to pay for wifi which is unusual for the brand, beside there are so many free wifi spots in the capital that the absence of such a free service in the hotel seems a bit stingy. On the good point the car park is excellent and there is frequently a cab waiting in front of the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience of the Novotel London Waterloo with the readers of Trip Advisor.
I was happy to read our team was available and managed to satisfy your expectations.
I hope you enjoyed the Show you went to see in the West End and will stay with us in your next trip to London.

Kind regards,

Hilton Head Island, SC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

I say most of the staff because I had issues with the front desk but only at night. If you're traveling from the U.S. bring your own electrical adapter. In fact bring two. They charged me 10 pounds as a deposit for the adapter and made me come down to the lobby to get it. Then when I returned it at the end of the trip they didn't give me my money back. In addition I was having a problem contacting Verizon about international service and needed help making a toll free call so I went to the lobby for assistance. You would have thought I was really putting them out. Customer service isn't the greatest in the U.S. either but it's better than this at almost any hotel. The breakfast buffet was outstanding and one of the few places I found that you can consistently get a nice meal. I never did find a dinner at this hotel that was anywhere near U.S. standards. One of the worst burgers I have ever attempted to eat and they told me that in the UK you have to order it well done. On the other hand the staff at the restaurant was always very helpful and friendly. Overall, the location was perfect and I would stay here again. I just wouldn't count on the front desk for anything. I considered 3 stars instead of 4 (because it's not a 4 star hotel experience) but in the last analysis I haven't stayed at any other hotels in Europe so I don't have a reference point.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank TravelerOnABudget
NovotelWaterloo, General Manager at Novotel London Waterloo, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Novotel London Waterloo.

I am disappointed to read you had issues with my Reception team and have addressed your concerns to Marion David, my Front Office Manager to prevent further occurrence.
I would like to invite you to contact her at H1785@accor.com so the deposit taken for the adaptor can be refunded should this not yet be the case.

I hope you will decide to come back in our Hotel and enjoy a hassle free stay.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

Stayed here in November 2012. Quite a good hotel to stay in location wise. Boris Bikes right out the front too. Can't say anything bad about the place really. As with Most Novotel Hotels it was spotless and modern. Good bar area to relax in. I'd stay here again. I did find the bed a bit lumpy though. Not the most comfortable ever. Only one pillow on the double bed too. Probably should have said something but by the time I got in at 2am I couldn't be bothered. Paid for part of the bill with Capital Bond vouchers. The staff including the manager didn't seem to know what they were so had to go off and work out how they put them through as a payment. Bit of training needed I think. Location wise this hotel is great. Closest Tube station is Lambeth North which is a 10 minute walk away. London Eye and Houses of Parliament are also just a pleasant 10 minute walk away along the Thames.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel for a view towards the London Eye. Otherwise you just get t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Leachy77
Thank you for posting a review about your stay at Novotel London Waterloo on TripAdvisor.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again soon.

General Manager.