“Friendly, but strange room layout”

Novotel London Waterloo
Ranked #321 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed September 17, 2012

It is quite hard to review this hotel, as I am in two minds about it. While the staff were friendly most of the time, we had to wait a while to check in and out. Also housekeeping banged on the door quite early - yes we could have put do not disturb on the door, but as we were only staying one night I am surprised they didn't wait until we had checked out. On the otherhand they did check we had all that we needed when we first got there.

The room was a nice size, probably because it was for wheelchair use. However, it was very weird that there were no plug sockets anywhere near any of the mirrors and very few in the room at all. They only ones I could find were under the side table next to the bed and said 'for emergency alarm only'

There was also a smell of cigarette smoke coming in to our room. Never very nice, but it must have come from next door - maybe the hotel could have no smoking floors? However, I am not sure this is possible logistically and therefore maybe not the hotel's fault.

Minor gripes of course, but there are better central London hotels at similar prices.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jessiclees
NovotelWaterloo, General Manager at Novotel London Waterloo, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Novotel London Waterloo. I was disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations.
We have adressed your feedbacks and I would like to assure you we have been taken the appropriate measures to prevent future occurrence.
With regards to the smell of cigarette I would like to confirm that the whole hotel has a strict non smoking Policy.

I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back Novotel London Waterloo and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Yours sincerely

Bernard Panisse

Write a ReviewReviews (3,055)

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Family gathered for a wedding and made full use of the hotel as a base. Checking in could not have been easier and consideration for grandchildren was noted as free gifts, including simple watch was much appreciated.
My wife and I had a standard room. Good sized room, very clean and ordered. Bathroom, with powerful shower appreciated, though I would question the design of the basin - looked good but not terribly efficient. Separate loo was good but did not contain a hand washing opportunity. I was a little uncertain of mattress on bed but, with the help of the wedding celebrations, I still had two very good night's sleep.
Breakfast was most acceptable - buffet element worked successfully. Dining area open and reasonably large. One quibble about food - family decided to have a sandwich lunch in the hotel before wedding and though we were the only group present the time between order and food was excessive. After 40 minutes a member of staff appeared and informed us that they had just discovered they had no fish fingers for the grandchildren. 40 minutes!
The great plus for my grandchildren was the play pod in the foyer. A great asset and enabled reasonable sanity to prevail while either waiting for food or the next stage of our day.
Throughout our stay I was much impressed by the staff. Efficient at the desk and considerate. The staff in the dining room always tried to please and engaged warmly. A smile and a pleasing word was even forthcoming from chamber maids. A good working atmosphere.
The wedding reception was just across the road - Garden Museum - which was a great plus. The hotel is well positioned for so many sights, though easier to take bus or cab than tube. The wider family enjoyed a morning at the Imperial War Museum, a short walk from the hotel.
The hotel is unpretentious, comfortable, and most apt for visitors to London.
I'd book again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

We are happy you chose to stay with us on such a special occasion and we hope you had a great time with your family at the wedding. I will share your kind words with the team and I am sure this will be a great motivation for them.
We hope to be able to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

I stayed here with my family to visit the 2012 games and was pleasantly surprised, although it is called Waterloo, it is a bit of a trek from the station, it is really Lambeth palace near mill bank. The hotel itself was great from check in and the friendly staff including the breakfast staff. The rooms were clean and in good repair and Represents good value for London. Loads of buses go there and I know if you don't know London this can be daunting using the buses but the best way there is ether the 6 from trafalgar sq in the direction of Westminster or if coming from Euston or kcx Victoria line to pimlico then the c10 from outside the tube once over the bridge you can see the hotel on the left - simples. Hope this helps.give it a try it is good.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
NovotelWaterloo, General Manager at Novotel London Waterloo, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Thank you for staying with us during the 2012 games and providing us with such a detailed review. It is great to read you positive feedback and I am sure this will be a great motivation for the team. I hope to be able to welcome you back again on your next visit to London.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stayed here one night, in a nice big room. Breakfast was great, service very good too. Nothing to complain about! It is quite far from underground stations. Walking to Waterloo it will take 15 mins! Quite a long way if you have lots of bags. A taxi will cost £ 5-6 to the Waterloo.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your recent stay at Novotel London Waterloo and providing us with a review on Tripadvisor. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback and will definitely share this with the team. With regards to the transport I can inform you that we have several great bus connections close to the hotel. Please ask a member of staff for further details. I hope to welcome you back again to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

We stayed at Novotel London, Waterloo location for 5 nights. The room was very small, a/c was not working properly. They over charged us for making a local phone call. Again, I had to spend almost half an hour explaining how the hotel staff mis-communicated the rates to me. Finally they did refund the charges. the Our trip to Buckingham Palace was messed up by the reception. It was quite challenging to get the refund back from the hotel. The staff is not very service oriented, and don't trust their customers. Location is moderate, and I wouldn't suggest if you are looking to stay in downtown.The room were extremely small, it was very hard for the family of 4 of us to stay in the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Bobby B

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on Tripadvisor. I would appreciate if you could contact my Front Office Manager, Lenny Rooijakkers, on H1785-FO@accor.com so we can further look into the situation. I hope to be able to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

We went to this hotel for a weekend away and we were not disappointed in anythiing .We arrived on a saturday afternoon and we taken to our room by the reception ,manager who showed us everything in our room and asked if there was anything we needed my wife is confined to her wheelchair and the bathrrom was not 100% satisfactory but he showed us another room and that was 100% so we were transfered to that room from then on we were treated great by the staff and i would recommend it to my closest friends if visiting London.

Room Tip: we were on the third floor but i suppose the rooms are all the same standard
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for providing us with such a good review about your recent stay with us. I will share your comments with the team and I am sure this will be a great motivation for them. Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back again on the near future.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

Won tickets to the Paralympics with an overnight stay at this well placed hotel. Clean, bright, lobby, friendly reception staff. Room unexciting but clean, compact bathroom with bath and separate shower (please hotels get rid of baths). Toilet compact. The bed firm, pillows firmer. Towels plentiful. Breakfast cooked was ok but enjoyed the croissants, juice,fruit. Tea was weak but as hotels often serve it from insulated jugs then you cannot have it the way you like. Excellent location for Westminster and the Thames, the bus link to Waterloo Station was fast with a straight line on the Jubilee Line to the Olympic Park. So would stay here again to visit more of this area of London.

Room Tip: This hotel has disabled rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback about your recent stay with us. It is a pleasure to read that you would stay here again in the future and that the staff were friendly. I look forward to welcome you back on your next visit to London.