“The new "Fawlty Towers"!!!”
Review of Boston Manor Hotel

Boston Manor Hotel
Ranked #785 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Doncaster
“The new "Fawlty Towers"!!!”
Reviewed May 26, 2009

Upon arrival we entered a reasonably nice reception area, we were given our key plus some extremely scratchy directions to our room, after five minutes of wandering round what can only be describedas a labyrinth, we stumbled upon our room, more by luck than judgement. On entering our double room the first thing that hit us was the size of our room, or lack of it!!! it was what can only be described as bijou!!! the carpets were stained and hadnt seen a hoover for quite a while. One small blessing was the cleanliness of the bedding. Which brings me nicely onto the matress, while clean, it resembled a block of concete with absolutely no give whatsoever, which is fine if you like extremely firm matresses but totally ruled out a decent nights sleep for me. after a really rough night i awoke looking forward to a nice full english breakfast, which was exactly the opposite to what we got. We sat down and after twenty minutes of asking received our "full english" breakfast which consisted of two hard eggs, one value sausage, one undercooked rasher of streaky bacon and a quarter of a cold tomato!!! I asked where were the mushrooms, beans, black pudding, hash browns and fried bread and was told i could have some beans if i wanted. After half a sausage and a bit of the egg i gave up!! I sat for ten mins to finish my coffee at which point i was given a bowl with beans in lol. Everyone eating breakfast at this time received the same treatment. Other guests that had been there for a couple of days said breakfast had been as bad every morning. To sum up, the only things missing were Basil Fawlty and Manuel!!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kezza1889

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
bristol
Reviewed April 26, 2009

I stayed at this hotel with my relatives in April for a sightseeing tour of London. This hotel is only worth staying in for the one night due to the poor room quality and overall cleanliness . The twin room which I stayed in was very basic with poor mismatched furniture and uncomfortable bed. It was not a room in which you could relax in after a long day sightseeing.

The bathroom was very small and unclean. The only positive about this experience is the fact that the hotel has a nice indian restraurant, has parking and is near to a tube station. I know the hotel is situation in London and on reflection is quite reasonably priced. However I do not think that cheap should automatically mean that the accommodation should be small, cramped and unclean.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Bristolmember

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed January 13, 2009

I stayed here for one night as I had some work in the city. I paid £55 for a double bed including breakfast which was good value considering that the room was pretty big and also the b/f was good. The hotel is on piccadilly line (10 min walk to tube station) in zone 4. I found that it was good value as it was near the airport with easy access into town (30mins to central london by tube). It was cheaper compared to other budget options like IBIS, premier inn etc.

The staff was very helpful, they helped us carry our luggage to our room. We had lots of heavy luggage as we were returning after a long vacation. Also they stored our luggage when were in town before our evening flight. Many chain hotels in London now refuse to store luggage due to security reasons. We were also given complimentary Internet for our room.
The place has a reasonabaly priced Indian restaurant where we had our dinner. The food was average. Its a good option if you are tired and dont want to go out

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who does not want to pay £100 a night for a room and wants to be near the airport with good access to the center as well. Also because of the size of the room I would recommend this to budget business travellers who want to stay for a longer period.

I would stay here again if I am flying to/from Heathrow.

• Liked — Value
  • Disliked — Nothing much
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2008

I left it late to book a hotel for my weekend in London so this seriously reduced the choice in the (what I consider) reasonable price range. The best (and nearly only) choice seemed this hotel
I picked it mainly because it was the most convenient for the price, close (ish) to the piccadily line & close to a night bus route from central London. In these terms it did everything it needed too- but I have stayed at far more convenient (and better) hotels for less.
The public areas of the hotel were dated, tired and in places not overly clean. I too laughed like the previous reviewers at the 'Luxury suite' signs! I cannot imagine what definition of Luxury they have used!
The room itself was similar- the delightful net curtains were a lovely shade of yellow & the windows were dirty. I would also bet that this room has recently been smoked in (is this not banned now?).
The sheets were worn but were clean & the bed was on the hard side but one of the better hotel beds to sleep in.
The bathroom at first appeared clean, but whilst sat on the toilet (sorry!) I noticed nasty looking stains on the door frame (erghh!).

The busy road mentioned before didnt affect me (except the drunks at 3.00 am) and I had a decent nights sleep.
Breakfast was OK actually- OJ was OK, cooked brekkie not too cheap & nasty- apparently branded cereals.
The staff didn't speak much English, and there was a highly embarassing incident on an adjoining table (the customer wanted wholemeal toast- this was incorrect 3 times, ignored twice & then finally it was deduced that they didn't have any!)
Didn't make breakfast second day unfortunately but nothing at all to complain about on my part.......

Hotel itself is about 10 mins walk to tube one way (with a (shock) decent Harvester on the way if you are hungry. The other way some pubs (polish or Irish- take your pick!) & places to eat. There is also an Indian Restaurant in the hotel itself, but didn't try this out...
In the context of London hotels I feel that a 2 rating would be mean for this hotel- I reluctantly give it a 3 because I have stayed at a number of London Hotels in this price range & really it is not bad in comparison. (That said I have given better in Blackpool a 1 rating lol!)
Would stay again for the right price, but would look elsewhere first......

• Liked — Price, Breakfast wasn't bad
  • Disliked — smelly, dated & tired room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank antonyschn
Norwich
Reviewed July 1, 2008

My girlfriend and I simply needed somewhere to put our heads down for the night after a concert at wembley stadium. This hotel was cheap, clean and completely adequate. You won't be wowed by the place but it's easy to find from the tube station and for £55 per double room including breakfast (which I didn't sample due to a little over-indulgence the night before) you really can't complain.

• Liked — Value for money, clean, no frills accomodation.
  • Disliked — Quite a lot of noise during the night.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wakefield
Reviewed May 27, 2008

There are a few negative reveiws for this hotel, but you have to review it for what it is. A Hotel in London, close to Piccadilly Tube, with Breakfast and Parking for £60 double room per night. With this in mind this hotel everyone you should hope for and expect and offers excellent value for money.

The room was clean and tidy, the breakfast was an adequte full english with as much toast, orange juice and tea/coffee as you wanted.

If this price range is your budget you will not be dissapointed.

• Liked — Value for money
  • Disliked — Not enough towels
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tingley_Traveller
Farnham, Surrey
Reviewed May 13, 2008

We forgot to book a hotel for a group of us and our friends for a night out in London so on the Wednesday night I looked on hotel.deals website and this hotel flashed up. £50 for a double room incl. brekkie and £40 for a single. Considering that we just wanted to have a place to rest our heads when we got back, we snapped up 5 rooms. You just have to remember that it's only a 3* hotel but if they judged hotels on staff, friendliness and brekkie, I'd give it a 10/10. The staff were amazing and couldn't do enough to help us. The rooms were vast and immaculate!!! We will definitely be coming back again. I'm sorry but £50 is a bargain!!! Travelodge wanted £85 for the room excl. brekkie!! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel. Just don't go wearing rose tinted glasses when you get there. Oh and the added bonus is that they have a car park round the back of the hotel which is CCTV monitored - come on, what more could you ask for!!! Breakfast was gorgeous. As much tea, coffee, fruit juice, cereal you wanted PLUS a full english breakfast - WOW!!!... BOOK THIS HOTEL WITH CONFIDENCE!!!!

• Liked — You got SOOO much for your money!!!...
  • Disliked — NOTHING!!!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends