“Stylish boutique hotel next to a fantastic pub”
Review of The Alma Hotel

The Alma Hotel
Ranked #31 of 563 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 8, 2011

I've stayed here several times solo for business trips and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it . I used to live up the road from The Alma and the pub has always been a winner, serving great bistro food with great staff but now with the hotel attached it's perfect . The decor of the rooms is very stylish and the beds are very comfortable with beautiful bathrooms . The staff have always let me have a late check out at no extra cost,too. Clapham Junction is a 5 min bus ride away although if you need to get to Waterloo then the Wandsworth Town BR station over the road is better, especially if you have heavy bags with you .

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank DorsetLondonite
There are newer reviews for The Alma Hotel

Reviewed December 6, 2011

I stayed here with colleagues for a work night out, we had pretty much all the rooms in the hotel I think and apparently the size and quality varied greatly. I got a great room, really big and spacious, nicely decorated and a really reasonable price for London!
We ate in the restaurant, it was very nice indeed. Would return here for definate.
Also we were the last ones in the bar that night, it got pretty late and they didn't kick us out (although I wish they had as we were all in a bad state the next day....)

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank lw0u21db
Reviewed November 26, 2011

Chose this as had great rating on Booking.com and sounded an interesting alternative for a hotel needed for stopover between Gatwick and Heathrow.

Location, whilst not in central London is great - very easy to get to from gatwick with a quick change at Clapham Junction - quicker than getting to a central London hotel. And only about £25 from Heathrow in taxi.

I won't reiterate what others have said, other than to add that first room offered was by kitchen fans and very noisy, second overlooked internal courtyard and was quiet and spot on. Toiletries, tea coffe etc top notch, and bed very comfortable.

Bar was too busy to drink / eat in comfortably in evening so went into London - local options are out there but limited. It's only 20 mins to Oxford Circus (changing at Vauxhall to tube) and much easier to negotiate than expected. The windmill pub does great pies in Mayfair and a short walk from Oxford Circus in Mill Street - may need a map to find.

Breakfast good and staff very personable.

Great option as alternative to usual London hotels and will use again.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room overlooking courtyard. Outside rooms may have more to look at but noisier.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ManxQueenies
Reviewed November 25, 2011

I used to drink and eat regularly in The Alma when I lived in SW London and always enjoyed it. I wasn't convinced when I heard that they'd converted the old metal works out the back into a hotel though. However, on a recent overnight stay in town, my wife booked a room and what a surprise! Beautifully styled and presented, fair size rooms with decent bathrooms, smiling and helpful staff, excellent breakfasts. A real treat. Especially at the very reasonable rate. We'll definitely be staying again. It was great to be back!.

Room Tip: Room 17 was excellent
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TheRichens2
Reviewed November 22, 2011

We reserved a family room (2 x 2 bedrooms) for a family event. There were several of our families staying. On arrival the 'ever so helpful' Beatrice giggled when we announced ourselves and said ' ohhhh I've cancelled your rooms'.....
We thought she was joking - but No.
After 30 minutes of an extremely stressful situation not knowing if we had a room for our family - and we had travelled from overseas too. (all our rooms had been reserved with a credit card for the group booking) we also found out that other members of our group had their rooms cancelled too as Beatrice did not put the credit card across all the reservation.
Beatice was not in any way bothered that she had ruined was was supposed to be a lovely start to a wonderful weekend. She never apologised - just kept saying we should have reconfirmed AGAIN 24 hours before arrival - even though we had the confirmation from the Alma of the booking !!
When we suggested that maybe telephoning us to see if all was ok before cancelling a booking for people - she said she did not have to do this - she could cancel the room if she wanted and she could resell it if she chose to.
The rooms were nice although the handle to door from the corridor kept falling off so you had to be really careful opening the door all the time, There was also an exit door that maids could access through what should be the privacy area between the 2 bedrooms. TV only had a few stations pretty crap really. Also as the family suite: you are 'billeted' to a disabled room - so the bathroom was pretty 'functional' and did not feel luxurious (actually the toilet was so high up my feet did not reach the floor!) Our children had a much nicer bathroom than us and it was also on the quieter side of the building with a little courtyard - although beware there is lots of stingy nettles in the garden and my little one got stung..
We ate several times in the restaurant - generally good -- but we were not impressed with the breakfast, was pretty poor standard. Chef and one of the waiters seemed to be having some type of feud going on and we were in the midst of it all......
Overall nice hotel / pub /bar but it was totally ruined by Reception Services - book but only if you are prepared to triple check your booking will be still there,,,,

Room Tip: not the ones facing the street.....
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank sunandsleep
Reviewed November 21, 2011

a great experience in every way. atmospheric old style bar. delightful homely restaurant, beautifully appointed bedrooms, really friendly staff.
My favorite London destination

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank laurencemitchell
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Really fabulous rooms on the top floor and one of the nicest bathrooms I have ever had in a hotel and a great breakfast.

Room Tip: There was no mirror in Room 22 except in the bathroom and so nowhere to blow dry your hair. I hav...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends