“One of the worst hostels I've stayed in”

Equity Point London Hotel
Ranked #254 of 896 Specialty Lodging in London
Reviewed July 19, 2014

The staff were rude, the rooms were boiling, not a fun vibe and totally overpriced! I've never had to pay for wifi either and if I'm paying I expect it to work in the rooms. The shower in the room was set on boiling and couldn't be changed, making it unusable. We told staff 4 or 5 times and nothing was done. We were forced to use the communal showers of which only one actually worked and it was disgusting with a door that didn't lock. My friend and I were travelling together yet they put her at the top of one bunk and me at the bottom of another, even though the room was empty when we arrived. This is the most expensive hostel I've ever stayed at and one of the worst. After staying at equity point in Madrid and being totally disappointed I thought I'd try another one. Never again!

• Stayed: July 2014
There are newer reviews for Equity Point London Hotel

Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

This hotel looks great from the outside however in the sleeping areas there is no air conditioning and the windows do not open ,to be honest this hotel is disappointing the beds were uncomfortable food was ok, could be better wifi could be less expensive .

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 18, 2014

As far as hostels go, Equity Point doesn't do a bad job at accommodating a backpacker's needs. Travelling as a duo, my friend and I found the hostel had comfortable bunks, clean rooms, welcoming staff (especially our Irish host who was helpful in every regard-ordering taxi's, advising routes, etc. It's a pity I've forgot his name!) and it's location was a short walk from Paddington station.

Staying just one night, Equity point hosted some nice facilities as well; an outside patio, a bar, a really nice looking internet area with computers that have an SD card slot (Huzzah!), a small library and an eating area equipped with a widescreen TV. Breakfast is your standard continental with boiled eggs- still worth getting up in the morning for.

Damaging the score;
The bar that only serves tins of Carlsburg- at 2.50 a tin, take a walk to the off-license.
It gives meaning to the term "Youth Hostel", my friend and I, both 22 felt as though we were the oldest there, however this is most likely due to the fact that there seemed to be a German school-trip going on while we resided there.
Our room felt a little dingy, while there was lockers available- there was little space to move in the room.

Referring to my title, it's not that the hostel is bad, it just simply isn't the sort of place you could spend a whole "rest" day in. If you have lots to see and do during your time in London, Equity Point definitely provides a great base of operations!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Talkingtrousers
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Visited June 2014, travelling with a friend.

Equity Point is certainly a good spot for those who are travelling. It's not too far away from Hyde Park or a tube station, so travelling round London is pretty easy. The staff were very pleasant (one of them was also Irish, which is always good!) and helpful in showing us where to go and what to do. The room we got was pretty standard (4 bed dorm, 1 bathroom), and came with clean bedsheets. Shower was a bit temperamental, but was otherwise ok. There's a decent variety of facilities within the hostel (Internet Cafe, Bar, etc.), although you'd be better off walking round the corner to buy a beer rather than paying £2.50 for a tin of Carlsberg in the hotel. The breakfast was pretty standard - cereal, toast, yoghurt, tea, coffee, juice etc. Although, I was surprised by the big bowl of boil eggs they have just sitting there. I'm a fan of such things so I had quite the eggy breakfast (yum!).
All in all, a pretty decent experience. Although we did come to discover that the hotel is pretty popular for school trips. Given that my companion and I are in our early 20s, we felt incredibly out of place amongst school children. This is not necessarily a criticism of the hotel, but a warning to those 'older' travellers who are considering staying here. Be prepared to pack your cocoa, slippers and pipe, because you're going to look old!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

Silly title aside, my stay in this hostel on my trip to London was fantastic. Lovely staff, clean rooms, nice breakfast - all in all a great stay, thanks very much, equity point! Also the common room was happy, homely and heavenly.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Emily M
Reviewed July 14, 2014

We went on a school trip to London for the weekend commencing the 11th July 2014. Upon our arrival we were greeted by some of the staff who were very friendly and helpful. However rooms were basic (some better than others, it was the luck of the draw) AVOID ROOM 4 ON FLOOR 4 AT ALL COSTS, but most rooms were what we expected and were decent. Breakfast was very standard, no hot food but was a variety of other things to eat. Showers were a abysmal and constantly needed turning back on. Overall we had an alright stay.

Room Tip: Avoid room 44 as it is the worst room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 13, 2014

After reading the negative reviews on tripadvisor, I (and my party) were expecting the worst. We had packed sleeping bags and our own sheets, alongside several cleaning products. I am glad to say that these were never used and stayed in our bags.

The locations is superb, with a 2 minute walk to Paddington Station. We walked to the Natural History Museum through Hyde Park - so not really too far. It is also quite quiet too - we were never woken up due to road noise.

The breakfast was standard, the toaster could have been better, but that was a minor item. There was something for everyone.

Whilst we were there, Holland Vs Argentina was on - so, as expected the breakfast area was turned into a mini football stadium for us to watch the match. It was a superb atmosphere, with everyone being so lovely towards one and other.

The rooms were fabulous - I cannot fault them at all. Towels, duvet covers, pillows and blankets were included - you needed nothing more.

After this superb visit, I'm looking at doing the same trip with my Scout Group.

Don't let the reviews put you off - it is a superb hostel to use.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends