“Fine dining appearance but disappointing”

The Goring Dining Room
Ranked #47 of 22,834 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighborhood: Westminster
Description: Located in the exclusive area of Belgravia, The Dining Room is an elegant setting for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Under the expert guidance of Executive Chef Shay Cooper, the menu of refined British food using the finest quality produce has attracted great interest on the London restaurant scene. Bathed in natural light by day and sumptuously aglow with custom Swarowski chandeliers at night, this David Linley designed restaurant has a special ambience to accompany the fine cuisine. Alongside an extensive wine and Champagne menu carefully selected by the Head Sommelier, the Bar & Lounge offers an irresistible cocktail list. With a menu that boasts Romney Marsh lamb, glazed lobster omelette, Scottish halibut and Beef Wellington, The Dining Room offers inspiring, delectable British cuisine and an indulgent dessert menu to suitably round off lunch or dinner. A truly special restaurant experience in the heart of Belgravia, The Dining Room at The Goring is within easy reach of London' finest theatres, luxurious department stores and boutique designer shops.
Virginia
“Fine dining appearance but disappointing”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I had been looking forward to treating myself to a nice dinner while on travel in London. The Goring Restaurant is where I chose. I was dining solo and arrived at 6 pm. The restaurant was completely empty until 15 minutes later when a family of 3 arrived and was seated right next to me. I didn't really mind but thought it would have been nice to at least have a table between us being as though the entire large dining room was empty for the next hour and a half at least.

But that was only the start. I got to watch the family of three get menus and then bread. I had arrived at least 15 minutes earlier yet I was still sitting there like a lump on a log. Finally I flagged someone down and asked to see a menu and to have some bread. The staff was very nice, I do have to say that. And someone did offer me a newspaper, which was nice since I was alone.

I was asked if I wanted to see the wine list, and when I said no, I was met with an eyebrow raise. Really? This is fine dining London style? I ordered from the Pre-Theater menu which considering the lavish look of the dining room was quite a bargain at 33 pounds (2 courses).

I placed my food order (goat cheese and beets and cod & chips). The goat cheese dish was delicious. The cod was just average cod, though they did serve the peas it came with in a separate pot which was cute. Nobody asked me if I wanted tarter sauce, and I guess I just assumed they didn't offer it. That is until the young girl who was part of the family of three got some. Guess I should have sat with them!

Then the bill came and it was about 30 pounds over what I had expected. Yes, I had gotten the still water which was just under 5 pounds (yikes!), but still. I mentioned this to the woman who brought the bill, that I didn't think it was the correct price. And she said I had the regular menu not the prix fix. I told her yes, I did. And she said (again) NO, you got the regular menu (loudly and I'm sure the family of three seated right on top of me was wondering what was going on). I insisted again, and she said she would go and check. Then she came back and apologized. Typically I would brush this off but this is a place that could be way more than the ~40 pounds it did cost me (with the prix fix menu!). And I felt that I wasn't really welcomed, not sure if it was the fact that I was eating alone?

To summarize, it's a beautiful dining room with some winners on the menu and some things that are just the same as you'd find in any restaurant (in fact I've had much better fish & ships in London). The staff (most of them) are very nice. However I felt like I was at a restaurant opening with all of the fumbles and missteps.

• Visited April 2013
8 Thank TravelingT1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
“Discrete and relaxed dining but at a price”
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

Excellent and attentive service. Rich red decorated bar area and lovely dining room. Complimentary champers was a nice touch to start and the waiting staff were good. Food was good with not overly generous portions but quite sufficient. Pricing not for the faint hearted and probably better top end restaurants in London, but lovely as an overall experience.

• Visited April 2013
london
“An exquisite but expensive evening”
Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

I dined here with 2 friends and had a delightful evening but be warned the bill is not for the feint hearted. We had a glass of champagne in the bar where the service was excellent- I accidentally spilled my glass and it was immediately replenished as were the delicious snacks. We were taken through to our table in the beautiful dining room and offered fresh bread & then our wine. The service is excellent but at these prices you'd want it to be. 3 courses (2 of our party were too full for all 3 but that's the set price) are £49 but as with so many top restaurants the price of alcohol was so inflated our bill came to over £300 despite not going mad on the wine list! The food was delicious but not as impressive in terms if variety or creativity as many other top restaurants. I had duck leg which was very tasty & a generous portion size but there was no 'wow' factor. One companion had scallops which were delicious but the meal was on the small size; another had beef Wellington which was excellent and huge! Overall a lovely experience but perhaps not quite worth such a hefty bill.

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Looking for a treat?”
Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

Sometimes you enter a restaurant and just feel very at home. The Goring is a shinng example of English hospitality, not imposing or overbearing but incredibly friendly and relaxing. The staff are engaging, clearly highly qualified in their trade, not where you fel intimidated, but to a point where you simply feel very comfortable in the exceptional surroundings.
The food is outstanding, we read some reviews on over-rich starters and small portions - have to disagree. Our food was top notch and we'll be returning, with friends, to repeat our lovely afternoon.

Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
“Expensive but worth every penny”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We met friends for lunch and had one of the best times we have had in ages. Everything happens quietly and gracefully. We had drinks in the bar first and, without asking, the menus arrived after a short period. For a set menu the choice is extensive and depending on the day of the week the "trolley roast" changes. On Fridays it is roast beef. The staff continually pass around the restaurant and check everything is going well - we even had a fallen napkin picked up and replaced by a crisp new one. It is expensive but worth every penny.

• Visited March 2013