“Great value for a 5* hotel in London”

Crowne Plaza London - Battersea
Ranked #208 of 1,069 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Great value for a 5* hotel in London”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Stayed here for one night as part of a birthday surprise for my boyfriend. The room and staff were great. Breakfast is at the cafe which overlooks the quieter bend of the Thames. The only thing is that it's located at the heliport so it's quite hard to get to (no tube station nearby, unless you're ready to take the overground to Clapham Common and walk for a while). The hotel, however, does offer a shuttle service to Sloane Square station - just doesn't run at night.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fw93
Verta1, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Battersea, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to detail some feedback from your recent stay at Hotel Verta by Rhombus. I am glad that you enjoyed our facilities and service.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of any assistance for future reservations and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Having booked via lastminute.com to stay in London for a friend's 40th birthday, I can only really recommend you avoid this hotel. It is situated a bit in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by not nice London. They want to charge you for WiFi, for parking (and there really isn't anywhere else to put your car) for anything that isn't your room. We were made to feel like clearly second class citizens for booking via Lastminute.com, the fact we aren't nouveau riche clearly wasn't welcome. I really didn't feel welcome at any point, having been fortunate enough to stay at a fair few truly class hotels, I can safely say this fell miles short. I also wrote to complain, to China, needless to say haven't heard anything back since. This is a pretender, with no true real idea of what 4 or 5 star hotels are actually like.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank penzb
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments.

I am really sorry that while with us you felt this way. For us, all guests are the same no matter through what channel they booked their room and we do aim for the same service for everybody.

In terms of parking, all London’s hotels are charging for it and some even for wi-fi. However, I am pleased to inform you that now we are offering free wi-fi for all our guests.

I hope that you will decide to return to our hotel as we would be delighted to prove you that at Hotel Verta by Rhombus our guests always come first.

Reviewed January 17, 2014

We booked this hotel for only one night and couldn't be more upset about leaving. The spa is absolutely wonderful, breakfast fantastic and the rooms are spacious and modern. A bit far from Tube stations, that's the only downside I can see. Overall for around a 100 pounds a night this hotel is amazing value.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 Thank Laila D
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your great review and for sharing this with all Tripadvisor’s readers.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and you were happy with your room, our amazing spa and the service.

Looking forward to welcome you back again.

Kind regards

Uppsala, Sweden
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Ok hotel, outside of London. Rooms are great, but the service was not what i expected. Breakfast was not so good and the staff in the breakfast restaurant were quite arrogant! Great with the shuttlebus from the hotel! The best thing with the whole hotel was the spa!! Dont use the roomservice for food, that was a expensive mistake and the food was awful!
Because of the location I wont go back, but if u are looking for a hotel outside of London with a good spa then I would recommend it!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Beri M
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Battersea, responded to this review, February 7, 2015
Dear Berra m,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant, so we are very pleased to note that you were satisfied with the room, spa facility, shuttle service and location of the hotel. It is our goal to provide our guests with the highest quality services and facilities. Your comments about the restaurant staff and quality of food will be forwarded to the hotel management. We are confident they will take necessary actions to rectify these weak areas of your stay. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience these issues may have caused you. Your patronage and support to the hotel is very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more enjoyable, please do not hesitate to ask the Manager on Duty.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

This is my second time at Hotel Verta and after a nice visit the first time, I couldn't have been more disappointed the second. It seems the hotel does not care about returning guests.

We arrived at the hotel at 6pm to check in and were made to wait in a seating area while they went to "check the room". The room was clearly not thoroughly checked.

The first problem we encountered - The rooms have no opening windows so rely on air-conditioning to keep the room cool otherwise it is unbearably hot. The air-con comes with no instructions but after our last visit, we knew how it worked after being shown. However this time, the air-con was refusing to come on at all. We rang reception and house keeping about this and were told they would re set it from their end and it should come on in 5 minutes. 30 minutes later there was still no air-con so we rang back to be told they will try again wait 5 minutes. Another 20 minute wait and still no air-con. A THIRD phonecall we were told someone would come to the room to check the air-con. Again this never happened. A FOURTH phonecall was made after 11pm at which point somebody came - looked at the air-con and confirmed it was not working! Offered no room change but said he would get someone to bring up a fan. No other compensation was offered, not even a free drink.

The second problem - There was clearly some sort of party booked at the hotel for that night. We were on the second floor and this allowed loud booming music to be heard in our room for hours. The hotel must be aware of the noise travelling so it seemed strange that they'd put guests in a room where loud noise can be heard if there is a party on.

The third problem - On our first stay we had a room with a bath and tv above the bath. It didn't work so we saw it as a one off. Again this time we had a room with a bath and tv...again it didn't work. I have a feeling that none of the tv's in the bathrooms work.

The fourth problem - I left my iphone charger in the room and rang the hotel after we left to see if they could find it for me. We were simply told "nothing was left in the room".

I am really sad that these problems occurred as I thought I had found a perfect London hotel to return to. It might look nice in appearance but clearly service and the technology actually working is an issue. I wont be returning and I wont be recommending this hotel any more.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Samantha M
Dear Samantha M,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. It sounds like we failed to provide an outstanding hotel stay experience due to the room temperature and the lack of follow up from maintenance staff, noise disturbance as well as the television problem. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience these issues may have caused you. We take comments such as these very seriously and would like to follow up with you. I have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Surrey UK
Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner booked a one night stay at this hotel for our 4 year anniversary, the room set us back £166 for a river view room. Upon arrival the hotel is hidden and you first drive down some sort of alley way from the main street and the front of the hotel is very small and misleading as the Helipad offices are right next door.

Check in was ok, the gentleman who checked us in was very quietly spoken and not very informative. We had to tell him we had a car out front otherwise he wouldn't of asked for our car key. He didn't tell us too much information with regards to the hotel, nor did he inform us of the cost of parking (however we knew beforehand). He didn't ask us if we wanted any extras ie wifi etc. We wasn't even told the floor number our room was on. No one helped with our luggage nor did anyone show us to our room. We had also dropped a few hints that we were celebrating our anniversary but no small talk was made nor was anything suggested by way of a complimentary drink or room upgrade, hotel did not seem busy at all. We also asked for a later check out and was advise we could have until 1pm complimentary so we accepted that.

The room itself was lovely, admittedly it was quite small (5* hotel maybe you would expect more) there was a nice large plasma TV on the wall, a coffee machine also with not much choice of coffee but we never used this, a small bottle of red wine and a minibar with a few bits inside however there was no price list in room so this could be misleading to the
guest. We had a view over the Thames and the helipad which was nice enough. The bathroom was beautiful, nice big deep bath tub with a TV and heated flooring, also with a nice big shower and plenty of mirrors and lights. One thing I will say about the room was certain areas were quite visibly dusty, the lighting panels were falling off the wall and there was no price list for minibar.

We opted to buy their 24 hour entertainment package which gave us wifi and selected films, price for this was £24 which is expensive seeing as you are not there for 24 hours.......

Soon after check in we went to the bar and sat by the windows which had a nice view over the Thames, we had afternoon tea which was nice but not great. The waiter was lovely and friendly, shame about the food...the sandwiches were made from cheap stale bread with pathetic fillings, the cakes were ok and the scones were over cooked from frozen as they were really hard yet doughy and heavy on the stomach.

We also had dinner that evening in the bar, they had just changed the menus that day and they do add on a 13% service charge discretionary where as before it wasn't discretionary. The food was very nice but again very expensive for what it really is and the waiters seemed nice enough. The bar was very quite, just us and another couple were sat. As per someone else's comments by the time we left the bar at 10.30pm the staff had already put out the equipment for breakfast which I feel should really be done later when the bar is closed.

We slept well, the bed was amazingly comfortable. Your body just sinks into the bed and the pillows were lovely and firm. Also made use of the lovely bath and that itself was really relaxing.

The next morning at breakfast it was so quiet, again just us and 2 other smaller parties. The breakfast is in the bar area which isn't very big so would suggest that breakfast must never be that busy? The food selection was adequate, hot and cold food presented at the bar but again, for a 5* hotel not exactly gourmet that left me feeling excited?

Now this is where things became a little frustrating..... We went back to our room and fell back to sleep. At 10.30 housekeeping knocked on our door waking us up even though we had the "Do Not Disturb" sign up at the door, asking us when we was checking out to which we told them at 1pm. Seeing as we were awake again now we started getting ready, half an hour later another member of housekeeping knocked on the door asking us when was we checking out..........20 minutes later ANOTHER knock on the door for the same question.....REALLY?!?! To top that off, at 12.30 we received a phonecall from reception telling us that we were 30 minutes late checking out and did we want to stay another night as they were unsure due to our "lateness". By this point I felt SO STRESSED and HARASSED!!

We left the room at 12.50pm and went to check out, I was visibly upset and expressed this to the same gentleman who originally checked us in the day before. Again there was no empathy, no apology and he quietly muttered "This is housekeepings issue", after that I had to walk away and go outside and leave my partner to continue as I was going to loose it, and this was due to the fact that housekeeping had raised my blood pressure beyond belief after harassing us several times. Me and my partner was going to have lunch at the bar before we left but I just wanted to leave. We was also told to follow him to go and retrieve our car ourself, nice.

When I returned home I did send an email to the hotel to feedback there errors and to express that I was really upset as I felt it had ruined an overall pleasant visit. 3 days later I received a nice enough reply apologising for this incident and assured me that they have now put training in place with housekeeping to ensure that this didn't happen again and also if we wished to stay again then to contact this lady, whatever that means I am not sure.

Overall - Was a lovely hotel with a few niggles, rooms could be improved with finer touches i.e. attention to detail with cleaning, layout of informative leaflets, sorting out the light switch panels which are hanging off the walls, HOUSEKEEPING!!! Reception staff and the way they address guests, smiling with a bit of small talk always goes down well.

Food and drink is expensive, maybe look to improve the breakfast offered and layout. I did enjoy my time here, but if all of the above was looked at then it would be even nicer and to me in my opinion would be worthy of their 5*.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank licklestace
Dear licklestace,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. I am delighted to read that you liked the lovely room accommodations, featured amenities, comfortable bedding and adequate breakfast choices. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of product. I am sorry that there were certain lapses about this stay mainly with the front office services, lack of minibar price list, unsatisfactory housekeeping services. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience these issues may have caused you. Your comments have been forwarded to the hotel management and we are confident they will take necessary actions to improve our guest satisfaction. We hope to have an opportunity to serve you again in the near future and provide you with the service you deserve and expect from us.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I stayed at Verta for a week before Christmas and can honestly say it was excellent in every respect....

My room was on the 5th floor was facing the river and overlooking the heliport. No noise at all and fun to watch the comings and goings of the rich and famous. Lovely view up and across the river. The room was faultless - very comfortable bed, choice of pillows, coffee maker, lots of storage and room to move, fantastic bathroom with a heated floor and huge bath (with TV at the end - what a treat). Lots of reviewers have mentioned the 'complicated' light switches - I didn't find them so bad. I did have to do some trail and error to start to work out what was what, but after that it was fine.

The location is something allot of other reviewers have also mentioned. If you want something in the middle of the London action then book something there! Verta is a 15 minute walk to Clapham Junction - a major rail hub. Also there is a bus that takes you to Victoria that is a 1 minute walk from the hotel or if you're feeling energetic you can walk to Kings Rd in about 20 minutes along the river. or go the other way (a 10 min walk) and get a bus through Fulham to the city. And if all that is not going to work for you, they have a free shuttle throughout the day to Sloane Square or failing all that a taxi will cost you around 10 pounds to central London. To mark this hotel down due to its location (as some have done ) is so unfair. They are upfront about where they are so if it doesn't suit you then don't stay there!

The spa was another treat - free to guests and lovely after a day on the town. No busy at all.

I really can't fault this hotel - I would most certainly recommend it to others and would stay there again in a flash.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank rachaelps
Verta1, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Battersea, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking your valued time to share such a wonderful review following your stay with us at Hotel Verta by Rhombus over the Christmas period.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our River view room that offers amazing views over the river and the only London Heliport. You are also absolutely right about our beds and the Spa. I really believe that we offer one of most comfortable beds in London.

As you mentioned, once you know where the hotel is, there is no problem in getting around London. We still offer the complimentary shuttle to Sloane Square, plus the bus 170 that goes to Clapham Junction and from there trains to everywhere in London. Or you can always take a walk along the river, or directly to Clapham Junction station which is 15min away.

Thank you once again, for sharing your lovely comments on Tripadvisor and recommending Hotel Verta to other travellers. We hope to welcome you back on your next trip to London.