“Appalling Service - Nice Hotel”

Crowne Plaza London - Battersea
Ranked #239 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed here from Saturday 23rd March for three nights and we where celebrating a special first trip to London and our 1 year wedding anniversary. I emailed the hotel directly asking for any special offers giving we are celebrating a special occasion to which I received no response. I then booked through Agoda.com and got a good rate and room for our stay. Unfortunately without actually being made clear on the booking we where given a 'disability access' room which was perfectly adequate but wouldn’t have been a room I would have chosen. The room itself was spacious but not adequately stocked of provisions such as coffee pods for the machine and again no milk! These may seem like silly little things but these are the things you would expect from a 5 star hotel. This is not a 5 star hotel; I have stayed in better 3 or 4 star hotels. The location is terrible and will cost you about £25 to get into Victoria and no close by access to any Tube stations. You can get a bus in within a 5 min walk but not exactly the mode of transport you would wish to choose to travel into London for a nice meal or theatre.
The service (lack of service) within this establishment is by far the worst I have ever experienced in any hotel Ive stayed in and nothing even close to what you would expect from a 5 star hotel. To give but a couple of examples of this shocking service, this began on the first night we arrived and asked for a taxi to be ordered for us to take us to see the 'The Woman in Black' in the Fortune Theatre. The taxi arrived and a rather abrupt foreign taxi driver mumbled at us as to where we where going to which we told him. As we are not familiar with London we really had no idea where this theatre was and after about 20 minutes in taxi he suddenly stopped and said we where there. I couldn’t see a theatre in sight but presumed he knew where had left us and would be in a side street in close proximity. I then asked how much to which he muttered the hotel had paid for it and settle with them which hadn’t been explained to me but fair enough but he couldn’t even tell me a price. Well to our horror after getting out of the taxi dressed for a night out and now standing in the pouring rain we discovered we where no where near the Fortune Theatre. It was only for a nice old lady that stopped to ask us if we were ok and where we looking for somewhere that we learned how to get to where we had asked. To cut a long story short after getting directions we managed to walk to the theatre in about 20 minutes. This granted isn’t the hotel's fault however it was the way it was dealt with, I told them of the experience when we arrived home. The person who had originally asked us to wait and he phoned the taxi firm, while we waited for a good 15 minutes. He then came over to say the manager of the taxi firm apologies and would reduce the fare from the standard £25 to £20. I nearly choked in amusement at this. I told them I wouldn’t be paying anything and he suggested I phoned the firm myself. I declined.
On the Saturday night I phoned down to reception desk about booking a table in the restaurant as we were celebrating our 1 year wedding anniversary to whom just passed my call directly to the restaurant where I presume I was then talking to a member of bar staff. He said the most he could offer was 10% discount which was available to all guests anyway! He said he would ask the manager on my request and would phone back. So after waiting about 20 minutes I decided to call back myself to speak to restaurant manager, anyway I got the same member of bar staff who again stated that 10% was best that he could do. Getting rather frustrated at this stage at having to constantly phone people to try and get a simple request actioned in a 5 star hotel, I decided one last attempt to call reception and ask to speak with a manager to whom I was told what not available but my request would be relayed to them and they would phone me back shortly. Again I waited about 20 minutes to which point I was getting totally fed up and we both decided to head down to the Spa before dinner.
When we arrived back in the room there where no messages left and so I phoned again to reception to speak with manager and was told he would phone again. Well this time he did phone back about 5 minutes later. The first question he asked me was ‘how can I help?’. So basically for about the fifth time I had to explain that I was looking for a special discount or offer for dinner that evening in the restaurant to celebrate our 1 year wedding anniversary. He then said he needed to talk to someone else and would come back to me. He phoned again shortly and I can only say it was one of the most appalling calls and absurdity I have ever heard and this was the so called manager! He started by saying we could have a nice table by window which would normally have to be reserved and then didn’t speak. I then asked what offer he was giving us. He then said the most he could give in discount was 5% to which I replied a member of bar staff had offered me 10% over an hour ago. He was unable to beat this or offer anything which would entice us to eat there.
So after a short look on internet I found a site which recommended restaurants close by and was able to find one which was highly recommended and offered 50% off the meal. Take note – this was in the Rafayel on the Left Bank Hotel right beside this hotel in the Banyan on the Thames restaurant. We had a lovely evening here and the food was very good.
We just seemed to have problem after problem with this hotel, we then came back that evening and found our room had not been turned down, cleaned or any fresh towels provided.
On a more positive note and probably the only reason I would give this hotel any stars for rating was for the Spa area and for the breakfast. The breakfast was very good and a wide variety of choice from continental options to cooked breakfast. The other being the Spa which was the perfect retreat after a day sight seeing, walking and the inept service from above in the hotel.
Unfortunately for me this would not be enough to rescue this hotel for me. Given its not ideal location, they really need to go the extra mile on service. With the exception of one or two staff the rest where appalling, uninterested and unfriendly. In a 5 star hotel I don’t expect to running around and having to constantly phone to reception because things with/within the room where unacceptable and cant state how appalled I am at the lack of interest or effort given into trying to make out stay special and indeed our wedding anniversary meal which we then enjoyed in the hotel next door.
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone expecting any level of service let alone 5 stars. Very disappointing

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Paul G
Write a ReviewReviews (1,511)

Reviewed April 21, 2013

From the moment I booked and entered a dialogue with Petr on the Concierge's desk regarding the hotel facilities I established that great service is a priority at this excellent hotel just next to Battersea Heliport. Our stay was exceptional in every way and we shall certainly return. Lovely position looking out on the river, valet parking and all the staff looking to make your stay memorable.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Just stayed the one night, but BOY did I enjoy it. The showerhead was gigantic and powerful and the temprature controls were exact. The room was very spacious & spotless, the maids gave us as much tea & coffee sacha's as we wanted. All the staff were very courtious and looked up directions and printed them without a word.I didn't eat here but the breakfast looked good £18 all you can eat.!!Lovely view's over the Thames and close to a Weatherspoons,£3.50 for breakfast.! The spa/swimming pool,gym underground closes early 10pm and opens late 8.30am. But all in all £135 a night you'd expect all this with large tv. (kingsize room).

Room Tip: They are all good.
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Located next to London heliport on the south side of the Thames, the location is c£14 taxi ride to the nearest tube station at Vauxhall. Of course if you arrive by helicopter then it couldn't be more convenient!

A lovely modern 5 star hotel. The bedroom was lovely...the bathroom was considerably bigger than the bedroom in some 4* hotels I've stayed in! I used the wifi which had an excellent signal.

Breakfast was buffet style and very good.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank MatthewCheetham
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Just returned back from Hotel Verta and we have to say we was extremely impressed with the hotel. The hotel is excellent with the facilities being bang up to date. We arrived at the hotel with a standard city view room however on booking i left a request asking if the hotel could make me and my girlfriends anniversary the best possible. Once we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by the reception and after finding my booking they automatically (free of charge) upgraded us to a river view room overlooking the Thames. You really cannot go wrong with that!! The room was fantastic! Spacious, massive bathroom, comfy bed and sky TV! The Spa facilities that were included were 5*, better than most Gyms. Finally the free breakfast was fantastic, great selection on offer! This included continental style but also a full English!

Overall a fantastic night at a great hotel. My only tip would be that if you're travelling by rail from Clapham Junction like we did we would completely recommend jumping in a cab from outside the station. Cost us just over a fiver but just to avoid a 15 minute walk through the estate it is completely worth it.

Room Tip: The higher up the better as you will have a better view. However if you are just in the river view t...
1  Thank Tom D
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Spent 3 nights at The Hotel Verta for mine and my Husbands 1st wedding anniversary, I have to say we were left a little disappointed by the Hotel Verta! For a 5* hotel you expect a certain level of service, the little things are sadly lacking, no wifi (or even 3G or phone signal) unless you want to pay extra, rooms far too hot, you have to phone down to reception who then manually alter the air conditioning and little or no instructions on how to use the numerous pieces of technology in the room.

The location is also poor, too far out of central London spent lots of the weekend on public transport. Although fairly close (15 minutes walk) from Clapham Junction, you have to rely on the overground to reach the underground! The hotel does run a free shuttle bus service but again timings are poor.

On a positive rooms are very clean and well finished.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank mrskymsims
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Second time in 6 months to this place and was equally pleased second time around. River view room again overlooking the Heliport had all the comforts and mod cons one could wish for and provided a really relaxing environment. TV screen seemed a bit dodgy but that's being ultra picky. Breakfast was acceptable again, nothing spectacular, but not at all bad. The new Chinese restaurant had opened since my last visit but didn't get chance to try it out. A bit surprised there was no advertising or menu for it in the room. There is a 10% discount for residents apparently. Forget the mini bar, way too expensive as usual, as was the room service type menu; £9.95 for chocolate tart and ice-cream. For that money I'd want the whole tart not just a slice lol! Can use the mini bar fridge to keep your own things cold which is useful as we had a bottle of wine. There is a Wetherspoons about a 10 minute walk towards Clapham Junction if you like that sort of thing. Remember the buses, numbers 170 and 44, the 170 gets you slightly nearer.

Room Tip: Has to be river view every time for me.