“Not what I expected of a '5 star' hotel -and a 1 Star breakfast!”

Crowne Plaza London - Battersea
Ranked #208 of 1,069 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Not what I expected of a '5 star' hotel -and a 1 Star breakfast!”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We booked a romantic night away in this hotel as wanted to experience a London 'Luxury' hotel and they had a great special running if you booked in January. I have never stayed in a London hotel as live in London so I guess I do not have anything to compare it to and I hear compared to other countries London 5 star means other countries 4 star in some cases. I did have higher expectations after other reviews though. I always use trip advisor so will make the review easier by writing a list of PRO's and CONS...

PRO's:
-Friendly helpful staff - they really were polite and the service at the bar and when dining for dinner was excellent
- Delicious lunch and dinner (prices are on the expensive side given there is nowhere else decent in the immediate area to eat)
-Great room furnishings and touches- Molton Brown freebies as well as great extras- sewing kit, cotton pads, toothbrush etc etc
- rooms have latest hotel technology (although we coudl not get our curtians to open and close electronically no matter how we tried- maybe they are not meant to.)
- Beautiful SPA and a gown and slippers in your room to use at the SPA
- great views over the river from the bar/restaurant
-12am check out

CONS:
- I am sorry to say, the worst breakfast I have ever had in a hotel (we travel a lot). The plates were ice cold, as was the food (cold oily eggs), it took 10 minutes to replace the orange juice that had finished as well as the bacon and when it did come out it was so oily and did not seem cooked - no crisp at all. There was a very tired looking bowl of whole fruit (no fruit salad), limited cereal options and limited pastries. In short- no where near the standard of the rest of the hotel. The room was also full at 10am on a sunday so I suggest going early to breakfast to avoid sharing a sofa/table with other people.
- I would have been annoyed if I had paid the full listed price for a night in the hotel (we had a 50% discount) and the River view room mainly looked onto the heli pad with the river in a distance to the left.
-£25 valet parking fee (for 24 hours): Given the hotel is not close to any transport links so driving is recommended, this was over the top.
- We arrived for 2pm check in and were told the room would be ready for 2:15 - so we had lunch at the bar (not a cheap one) to kill some time and returned at 3:30pm only to be told that the room was still not ready. I raised the point that we were entitled to check in from 2pm and was told by one lady 'yes check in is FROM 2pm' which I thought was quite rude as we were entitled to be in a room from 2pm. The hotel manager then came out and apologised and offered us free late check out the next day which, since we had somewhere to be the next day, I requested to be swapped for a discount on the parking fee - we obtained 50% off.
- The SPA foot spa and showers had no hot water at one point- even the hot was ice cold
-The hydra pool was chilly - other peopel were commenting - it needs to be a few degrees warmer
- our bath tap was almost impossible to turn on for some reason.

I have given it an AVERAGE rating only because I feel that I would have chosen a cheaper 4 Star hotel in a better location close to transport links if I was visiting London - for the location and the cons above, I think the full cost of a room per night is over the top.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

I have just returned from an overnight stay at the Verta. It's is next to the Rafayel Hotel on the left bank and has direct access to the heliport. The hotel reception is very modern with an slight old fashioned travel twist having a few old pieces scattered around. The staff were efficient and very professional.

The rooms are similar the malmaison style with a very modern and clean line.
The bathroom was half the size of the room with a shower and full size bath and an amazing addition with a tv over the bath !! And even more impressive was the Molten Brown freebies !

The room overlooked the heliport and only when the helicopters are nearby can you hear anything .. It's amazing to watch the coming and goings of the rich and famous makes up for that entirely .. It's £300-£1200 to land there so it's like famous people bingo !

Now the spa ! as a serial spa goer I know my saunas .. And oh my god did this one tick every box .. It's just lovely ., its got 2 saunas and a steam room with complimentary towels and Parisian freebie toiletries. The hydro pool is small but is very clever with jacuzzi and hydro jets at every turn.

The breakfast was fabulous with a wide range of foods .. I mentioned to the waiter about one of the products not being as it should and he removed the whole section to ensure it was rectified.

The hotel has a shuttle bus to sloane square which we used but unfortunately only goes one way. This is an excellent mid priced 5 star hotel , if the location is suitable for your stay then the hotel will surprise you

I recommend .

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank trysull
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Nice hotel,comfy and clean.
All latest high tech in room. Lovely view of Thames. The location is far from west end, a good walk from clapham st. We found the best way to travel back and forth was to take the bus either 44 or170 from victoria st, the bus stops just outside the hotel at York Gardens, the various stops
are highlighted in the bus its therefore easy to get off at the right stop.

1 Thank Gigls
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed February 4, 2013

First the good part - stunning style and fittings, very friendly and attentive staff, great comforts - all the things you would expect from a hotel of this kind. But then a strangely poor experience on some real basics during a weekend stay: the wireless internet signal was constantly dropping out and unable to get to certain websites (at times even Google!); we ordered room service at night and a 'parsnip soup' arrived cold and tasting pretty much like blended tomatoes - a pasta ordered at the bar was also very bland and basic. I ordered a pinacolada and got what tasted like just bottled pineapple juice with a slight coconut flavour - nothing fresh in sight. Generally the food needs much more flair and quality to be in keeping with the luxurious feel of this place. Breakfast is adequate and no more - by 8.45 the bread felt old. The seating areas near the windows of both the bar and breakfast areas are cold and drafty. When you fill the bath, the water spurts out of the shower extension and sprays all over the surface. The minibar had less choice than I would expect even in a 3 star hotel (e.g. no spirits). Maybe I was just unlucky - but from this one experience I would not be able to recommend it and would hesitate to go back, despite the very attractive set-up and general comfort of the place.

Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Great room, great food, great meeting facilities, and the majority of staff were very attentive and friendly. This was spoiled by the unsmiling, unresponsive breakfast service team, who failed to bring my order without at least one reminder every single morning.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank RJB535
Ilminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 29, 2013

We've just run our event at the Hotel Verta and have had an excellent experience. The staff were helpful, the food was excellent and the everybody bent over backwards to accommodate us. Although the hotel is slightly off of the tourist track, it does represent excellent value for money and (my wife informed me) that the spa facilities were wonderful. Also, despite the hotel being next to the Helipad, it is quadruple glazed and was extremely quiet inside. All in all we have found it hard to fault the Verta

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MiCEBSF
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 24, 2013

The Verta has (I think) been open about three years. We had a double room wth Thames views, well, overlooking the Battersea Heliport. It is not easy to find, you will need a satnav, good map or taxi! There is valet parking, at £25 a night. The hotel has a modern, convention centre business look and feel about it.

despite having a no smoking policy sign in the room, our room smelled of smoke. The air-conditioning made lot of noise, but the young maintenance guy who came very quickly fixed it. He was most helpful and courteous. The room itself was comfortable, quiet, clean and spacious, the bathroom was very modern and spotless. No complaints other than that the windows were sealed, hence the need for the aircon to be working.

Breakfast was in the mezzanine overlooking the Thames (gre day with the tide out), with mainly foreign business people from abroad. Front desk was friendly and helpful.

Price was excellent, we booked it through Expedia and it was nearly half price, including breakfast. Once again, no complaints.

Only negative is that it is a bit out of the way, lost in small jungle of commercial buildings next to the Heliport. Cabs came quite quickly. I believe they also run a shuttle bus over the river.

So, good value, but hidden away, but if you want a reasonably priced room for the night, south of the river, it is worth trying.

Room Tip: Make sure it has not had a smoker in it and that the aircon is not noisy (they fixed it by loosening...