“Used to be much better, seems to be declining rapidly”
Review of The Wallace

The Wallace
Ranked #3,897 of 22,557 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French, European, British
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Marylebone
Description: Flooded with natural light, dotted with trees and sculptures, The Wallace restaurant offers al fresco dining indoors. Dine under the stars on our sumptuous evening menu, offering the very best in modern-French cuisine and made from the finest British produce. Enjoy an Afternoon Tea of delicate finger sandwiches, homemade scones, Cornish clotted cream, Peyton & Byrne preserves and a delicious medley of cakes. Located at the heart of the esteemed Wallace Collection, this restaurant is a perfect, pink oasis away from London's hustle and bustle.
London, United Kingdom
“Used to be much better, seems to be declining rapidly”
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Today, 4th June, I took my wife to the Wallace Restaurant in Manchester Square, London to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary.

I made the booking at around 10:30, but when we turned up at 12 there seemed to be no record of the booking. Luckily there was still a table available and we were quickly seated.

We were given a menu, which was a single sheet with the menu du jour, and a la carte menu on one side and the wine list on the back.
As we gave the waiter our order from the menu du jour, he looked concerned as he realised we had the wrong menu - then rushed off to get an up-to-date one. After several minutes, and reminding him that we were still waiting, he came back with new menus, straight off the printer (and with sales stats printed on the back).

While we were waiting my wife had ordered a glass of 'elderflower' from the list accompanying the menu du jour. It wasn't labelled as an alcoholic drink, but it was listed with Kir Royale and cost £4.50, so she assumed it would be alcoholic. What was brought to the table was clearly just a soft drink, with a straw. When my wife enquired the waiter again seemed to be surprised and confirmed that it was just a cordial - he clearly had no idea what was supposed to be on the menu.

We ordered starters of endive salad with roquefort, and goose rillettes with toast & salad (from the revised menu du jour). What was delivered to the table was not endive but cheaper chicory salad (and yes, my wife does know the difference) covered in big pieces of roquefort, and goose rillettes - but no toast. I asked the waiter whether the toast was coming soon and again he looked panicked and rushed off, eventually returning with some barely browned white pre-sliced bread that looked like it came from Tesco. The rillettes were accompanied by two pickled gherkins and and two pickled onions and some salad ruined by a sour vinegary cream dressing that I was unable to eat.

The main courses of duck with roast potatoes were equally disappointing. The potatoes were so bland and 'manufactured' in taste & appearance that I wondered if they were also bought frozen from a supermarket. There were no other vegetables or garnish, and hardly any sauce with the sliced duck.

We decided not to risk the desserts and asked for the bill. When it came I was surprised to find that an 'optional' 12.5% tip had been added. When the waiter returned I asked him to remove it and told him why. He confirmed that there was a big problem in the kitchen, apologised profusely, but said he would have to get permission to remove the 'gratuity'. I wondered who gave permission to add it in the first place, given that all the staff seemed to be well aware of just how bad the service and food was today.

My impression was that several key staff were absent from the kitchen, probably including the head chef, and that the serving staff were also fewer than required. They were bravely attempting to cover the normal service with quick and cheap substitutes for the normal high-quality dishes. They should instead have apologised to customers and closed the restaurant.

My office is close to the restaurant and I have taken large parties there at least five times in the last couple of years, as well as dining there with my wife once or twice every year. I have also recommended the place to friends and colleagues, partly for the beautiful venue but mainly for the good food and excellent service. I will hesitate to recommend it in future.

• Visited June 2014

• Finnish first
  • Korean first
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Lovely setting, decent food, not great value.”
Reviewed June 2, 2014

A very beautiful new space created at the lovely Wallace collection. Food is ok, but perhaps not as special as it would like us to think; prices are fundamentally reasonable, but steep for what you actually get.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Peter A
London, United Kingdom
“Food equal to place”
Reviewed May 31, 2014

My wife and I came for a celebratory lunch because I had just had some good news from a Dr close by. The staff were welcoming and flexible when we did not know whether we were eating from the cafe or restaurant menu, and gave us a luxurious time to decide. I had a crab salad, and as this was the first time I had eaten crab since having it in a cafe where it was freshly caught on Zanzibar, this had to be good. It was light, highly piquant and delicious. The setting was just lovely, the staff were a perfect mix of attentive and leaving us to enjoy our food, which is always a massive relief after living 11 years in Los Angeles, where waiting staff eager that each chair should earn them a sufficient tip for their shift, harass you until you give up and leave. This was the opposite - we were left to enjoy our extremely delicious meal and savour the fabulous surroundings. We will be back.

1 Thank Julie M
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“A peaceful oasis 2 mins from Oxford St”
Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

Fed up with the hustle and bustle of Selfridges we popped round to Manchester Square for lunch. Great food, and lovely service but it's really the beautiful setting that makes this so worth a visit.

1 Thank 48andcounting
Switzerland
“Great location for a restful cuppa!”
Reviewed May 25, 2014

We just dropped in for a cup of tea. Lovely tea room. Nice staff. Cakes and bits were good. This is a great place to escape the bustle of the West End.

1 Thank IOWman