“Tasteless food without art in a nice setting” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Wallace

The Wallace
Ranked #3,151 of 22,199 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French, European, British
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Marylebone
Description: Flooded with natural light, dotted with trees and sculptures, The Wallace restaurant offers al fresco dining indoors. Dine under the stars on our sumptuous evening menu, offering the very best in modern-French cuisine and made from the finest British produce. Enjoy an Afternoon Tea of delicate finger sandwiches, homemade scones, Cornish clotted cream, Peyton & Byrne preserves and a delicious medley of cakes. Located at the heart of the esteemed Wallace Collection, this restaurant is a perfect, pink oasis away from London's hustle and bustle.
bangkok
“Tasteless food without art in a nice setting”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

Bad foie gras, terrible snails feuilleté, old cheese, nothing is fresh, this place need a chef and fresh ingredients! If seems nothing has been cooked a la minute, but unpacked and microwaved!
Shame coz it s not cheap!

• Korean first
Harrogate, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely setting...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

The Wallace Collection itself is well worth a visit - and it's free. The courtyard garden has been roofed over to make a café area, which was not too busy when I visited on a Saturday lunchtime. I was seated at a long table with space for six and over the course of my meal, the other places were taken by other people - which was fine by me, but if you're after an intimate place for a private chat, this might not be it.

I had avocado on toast - an interesting vegetarian choice, light and tasty with the right amount of side-salad. It was quite warm in the courtyard and I really fancied the "Wallace Ice-cream" for afters to cool me down. It was good, but I had to wait about twenty minutes for it and I can't really understand why the service was so slow. It's a good place for people-watching, but a pleasant experience was let down by patchy service - and they add 15% for it to the bill.

The couple next to me were French and the woman asked for soya milk with her coffee - perfectly clearly (like I said, you can't have a private conversation at these tables!) - and several times over. When she got her coffee, she got regular milk and had to ask for soya milk yet again - which she got, finally.

I did pay the service charge but felt that I hadn't really got the service to justify adding 15% to a bill which wasn't cheap. But I'd go again - the setting makes up for the deficiencies or service.

Northumberland, United Kingdom
“Beautiful and genteel setting reminiscent of times gone by”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

We arrived at the Wallace Collection at 11.30 on a Thursday morning and the conservatory was not at all busy but a tranquil palm court sort of place with a handful of older ladies in vintage Jaeger. My daughter had avocado on toast with chilli, coconut and lemon oil which was quite different but not delicious and I had a piece of moist lemon cake that was extremely pleasant with a coffee. We also ordered a cucumber, mint, apple and elderflower smoothie which was so refreshing. I would come again for breakfast or afternoon tea as the atmosphere is calm and fitting the Wallace Collection itself which is well worth a visit

• 5 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
“Another three and a half”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014

Location is wonderful, truly wonderful. A vast conservatory located at the heart of the Wallace building in downtown West End London. This was our third visit, all for lunch and, whilst repetition bears liking there are good and bad sides to the Wallace.
The good being the quality of the food (a deliciously cooked lamb) and wine plus the aforementioned location. The bad being the reallynotgoodenoughgiventhepricing service which I felt was lax and inattentive given the sheer amount of waiters scurrying around. This and the pricing which to my eyes seemed to be on the wrong side of tourist trappery for my liking. I will, no doubt return but that is down to a soft spot for the Wallace rather than absolute desire.

Maidenhead
“Afternoon tea only 'ok', and not as good as the standard of the museum (which is great).”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

We decided to visit the Wallace Collection and make the most of our day out by having the champagne afternoon tea in the lovely courtyard afterwards.
The museum is very good with lots of see, and we were looking forward to tea afterwards.
The afternoon tea was ok and a fairly good price for what it included, but it wasn't particularly special. Obviously we didn't expect Claridges standard for the price, but they didn't seem to show much effort to make it a good experience. For example: the waitress didn't tell us what the sandwich filings were when she brought the cake stand to our table and the fillings weren't listed on the menu; the 4 cakes could have looked and tasted more interesting with more colour or with even one with some fruit .. one of them was a mini sponge cake that just looked like another scone. The others looked quite plain.
We asked for a tea pot refill and it was a top up of water to our existing pot, and we then had to ask again for more milk.
The staff were pleasant enough but somehow there seemed to be a slight lack of energy or interest, and several empty tables had things on them for about 20 minutes before they were cleared away even though it wasn't busy.
We've had afternoon tea in a range of places and hoped it would be comparable to a very good afternoon tea we had at the British Museum.
The courtyard at the Wallace collection is a lovely venue but the it seems like a missed opportunity for them not to take a bit more effort with some basics to make it a better overall experience.

• Visited March 2014