“BEWARE!”

Cuisines: British, Brew Pub
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Trafalgar Square / Embankment
Description: You will find The Bear and Staff in Leicester Square London within a short stroll of Leicester Square Tube, Charing Cross Road and Trafalgar Square - however you won't find another like it.Step in to discover a traditional pub of unique character, revered for its eclectic range of real ales and its quality pub food, which are served, as they should be, with a generous measure of famous British hospitality.The Bear and Staff is one of many rare gems in the Nicholson's collection of great British pubs, reputed for their distinctive buildings, intriguing history and vibrant atmosphere.The Bear and Staff pub has stood here since 1714, the name coming from the crest of the Neville Family. The pub counts villains and celebrities in its considerable history. One landlord lost his licence on proof of Sunday trading and robbery! The current building, dating from 1878, was once frequented by Charlie Chaplin and our restaurant is named in his honour.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I went for lunch and it was fine - they'd run out of the desert I wanted by 1pm but the food was decent. We got the bill and the server came over with the card machine. The first question was whether I wanted to pay a gratuity. I said yes and paid just over 10%. I looked at the bill the following day to see that they'd ALREADY added the gratuity/service charge on the bill so they'd effectively got tipped twice. I did email them about this and was told "many .. from America where they are used to tipping 20% at the end of their meal". Hhhhhmmm. Many countries don't tip at all but they obviously ignore this. Yes I should have checked the bill but to be honest, I thought that as I was asked to tip, that it hadn't been included already. Obviously the bar tender didn't tell me either. And again they say most places charge 12.5% but that's normally a nicer place than a pub with toilets two levels down. Also the men's toilets were absolutely disgusting - only 1 out of the 3 urinals were working. I've been to this place a few times but there's better places to go to in the area - the company email laid the blame totally on me for not checking and yes, I should've checked but many of us don't and also - to ask for TWO tips/service charge for a pub meal??? Please!

Date of visit: January 2020
GeneralManagerAA, Owner at The Bear & Staff, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi Lllcw, thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent experience. As previously stated to yourself, a breakdown of the food bill provided before payment clearly states a service charge of 10% which is payable at your own discretion. A lot of our guests utilize the additional gratuity feature on the card reader in the restaurant when they have received exceptional service and want to give a bit extra to their server. The PDQ readers in the dining room are programmed this way, and it is fairly standard practice across the industry. There is absolutely no obligation for anyone to tip if they do not want to. If a guest has any queries about their bill, our waiting team is always happy to help! In regards to the men's toilets, we regret that these have undergone some damage and we are currently in the process of getting these fixed. I hope this clears everything up for you! Have a nice day.

Write a reviewReviews (628)

Reviewed January 18, 2020 via mobile

Have been a few times before so was considering a different pub to try somewhere else but decided to stick with what I know so popped in on a Friday early evening. Although it was quieter than the last time I visited (well it is mid January now) they pitched the atmosphere just right and the staff behind the bar remembered me and asked me about how I've been. A really special touch, so pleased I chose my favourite pub to drink in again!

Reviewed January 15, 2020

Had a great experience at The Bear and Staff. The food was quite good, but the it was the service that really stood out. Our waiter was quite friendly, and was able to make several excellent recommendations for both food and beverages. We were glad we went with his suggestion for the starter in particular. We'd definitely come back here again!

Reviewed January 14, 2020

We popped in here on the way to the theatre. They have proper beer much to my husband's delight and I really enjoyed my glass of Rioja. Service was quick and the staff were lovely. I was after a cocktail so we only stayed for one.

Reviewed January 7, 2020

Came with friends to celebrate the New Year, great atmosphere, friendly bar staff with polite and efficient service despite it being very busy - had a lovely night overall!

Date of visit: December 2019
GeneralManagerAA, Manager at The Bear & Staff, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2020

Jmitchell1998, thank you for your kind review; we are happy to pass along your comments to the team here at The Bear and Staff! Thank you so much again and we hope you have a great day!v