“it would have been nice to get in”
Review of Euro Queens Hotel

Euro Queens Hotel
Ranked #927 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
“it would have been nice to get in”
Reviewed October 3, 2011

on arriving it did not seem to bad my husband and i got our room went up to have a look bit basic then the key card to get in did not work we got a member of staff they let us in it was a double room with twin beds went out again came back tried door card again still did not work they told us it would work but it did not so not very happy hoping to get some compensation

Room Tip: do not have no 458 you wont be able to get in
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Hyde, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2011

Booked through OTEL.COM. Having already stayed previously numerous times over the past few years and never encountered anything that wasn't resolved before, didn't expect any problems. Unfortunately the room that we were allocated on this occasion was totally unacceptable. I complained about this room after the first night. Instead of a twin it was a room with two sets of bunk beds. One set seperated as twins. The built up set was so old that the frames were very rusty. There was on one electric socket in the room, which meant you had to unplug the television to make a cup of tea. The television set was very old and only had a set top aerial which provided a very poor picture, which became intolerable to watch. The room was dirty and this standard of cleanliness is disgusting when you have paid £59 this is not anything close to value for money. The shower head continually fell off when you tried to adjust it to enable the water to wash your body and had to be removed from the fitting as it was installed at such a low height you had almost kneel down to get under the head. The staff advised there were no other rooms they could move us to and my colleague and myself had to endure these conditions for the whole 3 nights stay. I complained to my office following the first nights stay explaining that reception advised us they had no other rooms to move us to and they contacted the Euro Group immediately who advised they needed to request on online refund form from the Group Manager, this never arrived and following a reply to our first email requesting this on the 26.07.11 (the morning after the first nights stay) from the Group Manager advising he would look into it, there was no further response. My office contacted him again on the 15.08.11, requesting the online refund form again, but no form or reply was recieved until the 06.09.11. Unfortunately it was not the response hoped for. The hotel staff lied and said they had'nt received any complaint, they then contradicted themselves by saying they had moved us to another room, this was also not true as the night we moved to another room was for a seperate booking for an additional 4th (due to work commitments) night via Laterooms.com and not connected at all to the first booking. My office has been advised they will offer a 20% discount off the next stay. Assistance was also sought from OTEL.COM as they were the agent used to book through. This agent has also not been helpful. They are taking the information advising the matter has been resolved from the Group Manager despite my office advising it has not been in a satisfactory manner. Following their lies, which then become clear, following their own contradiction of the facts I will "NOT" be staying at this hotel ever again. DON'T STAY you can find 100% much better rooms for £59 per night infact I have stayed at better hotels with much cleaner and higher standards for much less than this.

Room Tip: Another hotel, not the Euro group.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Kevin D

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

London
Reviewed September 21, 2011

My partner and I needed someone where to stay for the night near London. I walked in and asked if there was any room available, after looking me up and down the receptionist looked on his computer and told me that the only room available was the suite, "very good" room at £120. Supposedly the high rate was due to the fact that they were very busy Remember this is a 'hotel' that advertises double rooms from £49.99.

Anyway, it was late and we needed somewhere to stay so I said I will take the room after checking it. The receptionist then asked me to bring my partner into the room to so that we could check it together. I replied by saying that I can check the room myself, my partner trusts my judgement. The receptionist then gets on his walky talky and calls for another member of staff who proceeds to tell me that he will not show me the room unless I 'show' him my partner. I asked him what this was all about. He then proceeded to tell me that when girls book rooms, then invite men into the rooms there is trouble and then the police have to be called. Of course I was not only offended by this (being a 31-year-old professional women) but absolutely astonished that a hotel that is meant to be provided a service felt that it was acceptable to act this way.

I went back to the car and told my partner the situation and advised him that I did not want to stay at this hotel because I did not like their attitude or what they were implying but because he was so tired he said we should go and atleast look at the room.

We went back into the hotel, and the member of staff took one look at my partner and said if that he does not want any trouble or the police to be called. There was absoulutely no reason for this. My partner asked him what he was implying and the member of staff told him the same story that he told me. I was ready to walk out but my partner insisted on staying because he had worked a double shift (if he wasn't so tired the situation probably would have escalated and the police probably would have been called). Needless to say that we checked -in but checked out at the crack of dawn.

Unfortunately due to the terrible experience with customer service, the quality of the rooms was not an issue. This is a basic, budget hotel with rooms that should cost no more than £40.00 a night. It's a cheap hotel. It looks quite nice from the outside and the reception is quite pleasant, there's an ok bar/lobby area but this really is a place where you stay if you are completely desperate. There supposedly best room in the hotel 'the suite', was old, dull, and smelly although it was large. There's ample parking. But first impressions last and I shall never forget this experience. They should not be allowed to stay open and I agree with someone else's review that this place should be shut down.

No doubt we shall never be staying here again no matter how desparate we are - I'd rather sleep in the car (in fact I'd rather sleep rough), and I would not have stayed here unless if I was on my own.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed September 18, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 6 nights. All we needed was a place to sleep that was clean, near a bus line, and was reasonably priced (in the most expensive city in the world). This was as "no frills" as it gets! But, for a week in London for less than $500 US, it worked! We slept, showered, ate our free breakfast (it's literally toast and corn flakes, coffee, tea and juice - that's it, the same thing every day), and then we took the bus to wherever we wanted to spend the rest of the day. We returned at night, checked our email using the free WiFi (which only works near the lobby bar) and called it a night. Although the staff is not that eager to help you, they do help when asked. Power adapters, irons, hair dryers, etc are available at the front desk for a 5 lb deposit. There was definitely a language barrier, as few of the employees spoke English, and those that did were sometimes confused by my American accent.

Tips - when I checked in, I specifically asked for the most modern room they had. My friend didn't and got one of the rooms that must have been the topic of the one of the horror stories posted. As long as you advocate for yourself, and arrive with low expectations, you'll be fine (no AC, no safe, no WiFi in rooms, no frig, etc)

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank cohenj318
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2011

Hotel should be condemended , along with the staff, WORST hotel in this country. Don't know why it's not been shut down. It's an embarresment to Britian; God knows what all these tourists coming to London think, when they end up staying there!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Leeds
Reviewed August 20, 2011

My partner and I stayed at this hotel in August for one night. I arrived first and was greeted by very pleasant staff. I was give my room key and told where to go which was on the ground floor. When I arrived at the room I discovered it had not been dressed and all the towels and bed linen were on the floor. I promptly returned to reception to let them know the situation. The manager looked into this and apologised and gave me another room. I told him i was willing to wait for the first room but he then told me that the roof of that room was falling off. Why that room was still on their list to hire out i do not know. Anyway, I took the key to the next room which was on the 3rd floor, or was it the 2nd? Well, this was incredibly confusing because this place was like a maze and I found out its half way between floor 3 and 4 in a little side door. When I first went to find the room I got highly frustrated because it was not clearly signposted and there was just a print out at the entrance of the 3rd floor corridor but from there on in your are on your own. I returned to reception to let them know I could not find the room so the manager explained to me where this was, I was not happy. I don't know why he did not just send someone with me to show me the way. Anyway, after about 10 minutes I found it up some very old and dated stairs. I entered the room and was pleased by its state but I could not bear the ordeal of getting to that room so I made my way back to reception and told the manager my dilemma. He told me there were no more rooms as they were very busy I told him there was nothing wrong with the room but getting to it was murder. I must say at all time he was completely friendly and helpful. He then said he does have a room which is another, sort of, between floors but it is accessed from the ground floor. He eventually took me to my room and told me that this room was one of the ones which had been refurbished and I have to say I was impressed a gem, a diamond in the rough so to speak. It was worth trek up 2 small flights of stairs. The room itself was bright and airy. The bed was so comfortable to sleep on. It seemed to be a memory foam bed, will get one for home. The newly furbished bathroom was lovely and clean and the shower was a dream, however, we had to let it run for 10 minutes before any hint of hot water showed up however, when it did get going it was smashing. All linen was sparklingly clean and that goes for the towels as well. All in all we were very pleased with our final choice of room and it was well worth the money. The hotel is impressive from the outside but dated on the inside but the manager did informed me that the rooms were getting refurbished and there were only a few which had been done already. If they keep them up to that standard then I will certainly be visiting this hotel again and maybe for longer.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2011

Having spent 9months a year, for the past 9 years, travelling for work. I have stayed in hundreds of hotels from private B&Bs to top 5star resot hotels. I have never felt compelled to comement on any before .But this one.... Well this has to be among the worst. Shabby decoration and fixtures. Awful smell, general noise, rude staff, etc etc etc.
I had issues with the car park (cars parked all over the place) they also appear to be running a taxi firm from the hotel. Trying to check in was a minefield, the staff were very rude and unhelpful - he wasn't prepared to show me where I could park until I had checked in and paid for the room! Normally I park up get my bags etc then check in. The room was really shabby, paint on the curtains, burns and holes in the carpets, awfull beds, broken shower. I could go on for ever but I think you get the picture.

I had breakfast booked but thought better of it, so I can't comment on the quality of food.

The one (and only) saving grace was although the room was worn out and pretty grim. It had been quite well cleaned. So a small thumbs up to the cleaners as I'm sure it wasn't easy getting it clean.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, there are plenty of other good hotels in the area
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business