“Decent budget hotel”

City Continental London Kensington
Ranked #849 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed February 15, 2013

As budget hotels go, this one was pretty good. I chose the hotel because the website stated it had been recently refurbished and we had a "new" twin room in the basement. Bathroom was small but adequate with a nice step in shower and glass door (I hate shower curtains). Beds were really comfortable and despite being in a busy part of London just off Earl's Court Rd it was surprisingly quiet at night. The morning was noisy because our room was next to the breakfast room but that was fine as we needed to be up early. The only downside of the room was the lighting; there is only one overhead light and no lamps. This was a bit harsh in the evening but not bright enough in the morning to see to do hair and make up. There is a little desk by the window with tea/coffee facilities and a big mirror which would have really benefitted from an overhead light. Overall, I was satsified with the value for money and the cleanliness and so would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I am not sure if all of the rooms are refurbished. Might be worth checking before booking.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jules3377
There are newer reviews for City Continental London Kensington

Reviewed February 10, 2013

I had read the reviews on this hotel and I was not sure. I assumed it was a case of people expecting the Ritz on a budget. What I did not expect was to be asked for £20 upon check in. I was appalled that the receptionist was was ready to take cash for this! After a heated discussion I left my credit card detail but I was far from satisfied with the explanation as to why this had to happen. I was even more annoyed to be told that it would take 5 days to refund the money. This was in case i had used the wifi (impossible as no password was provided) or had damaged the room! I am not a teenager and my mothervwho was staying with me is 64! The breakfast buffet is placed on a shelf unit which makes for long queues for food. Why can they not use trestle tables? It would be easier. The beds were tiny and too soft. Also the air con has no remote control which means you have to operate it on the unit with no temp control so you are either boiling or freezing. Adequate yes but not for the price I paid through Superbreak at £100 per room per night. I will be complaining about the £20 charge as I do not believe anyone should take extra cash from you or hold your card details for 5 days with virtually no explanation! It is clean however. Thats really all that stands in its favour.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Lincolnshirebird
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I chose the hotel because of its handy location next to Earl's Court tube station. The room was tiny and the lift did not go all the way up to the fourth floor, so I had to drag my suitcase up a set of tiny stairs to get to my attic room. The hotel rooms had been refurbished recently. The cleanliness of the room was not up to a standard. The bed sheet had a red wine stain on it that obviously had not washed off. The hotel was supposed to have free wifi (which is one of the reasons I chose it), but it was not working that evening and the reception staff were very unhelpful with the situation.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank laurapug
Reviewed February 5, 2013

On the picadilly line, stop Earls Court with lift to the street. Easy to handle luggage. Very nice and easy. Turn right and first street on the right, that´s it. 1 minute. Many food, drinks options all around, a few supermarkets so all needs can be sorted easyly.
Hotel has lift up to the 3rd floor, narrow corridors, stairs to several areas of the building so previous reviews about the complicated of the building is understandable. Still is a manageable maze.
Breakfast is included, toast, croissants, and "push a bottom" coffee and orange juice, jams , boiled eggs and tinned fruit cocktail, milk and cereals. So a continental breakfast. It´s true that at around 8 it gets so busy that you have to share table, but bare in mind that some are 6 seater so you may end up stuck in the middle and it gets a bit too close for comfort at peak times. At 8.30 it was fine and before 8 no problems. Pre paid wifi available, time to use your time 72hrs. I stayed in a single room and just fine, coffe/tea making facilities, hair dryier on the room, not bathroom, and most curious no draws, so had to work out how to keep things. Safety box. All rooms are renovated. Individual heating in each room.
Nice and pleasant staff. You can keep your luggage after check out in a tiny room, so may have space issues if not left before 11am.
I found the hotel to be a good option, taking into accoun pros/cons and rates, I would think this is a decent option for a trip to London. Easy to connect by tube, buses to Kings Rd, Victoria, walking distance to Kensington, South Kensington. You can even walk to many of London attractions.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Very pleasant young men on the reception....Mohammad and another one in the evening...didn't get his name.....the room was clean and looks like its been refurbished...but very very small...bed is no where big enough for two people to sleep comfortably....I spent most of the night lying against a very cold wall as one side of the bed was against it.....went down for breakfast at 7.50 as was told they serve breakfast from 7.30 but nothing was set up....did eventually get breakfast.....we was in room 213 and there was a continual drone from extraction fan on the floor below ..would like to have been moved to another room but was told the hotel was full....

Room Tip: Not 213 unless you are a very small person by yourself
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I was a bit concerned what the rooms would be like at this price, but I have to say that I'm very pleasantly surprised.

The single room is extremely tiny, and is not for those who are claustrophobic (seriously), but when you're in London you're not there to spend time in your room. The room was newly refinished, tastefully decorated and very comfortable.

Storage is limited & a better design choice would have been a bed that has drawers underneath & more hooks on the walls, but again for the price I am completely, 100% satisfied.

I have a feeling that your experience can vary tremendously depending on your room location. I would request to not be near the breakfast room because I can imagine that that gets quite noisy in the mornings.

I seriously cannot imagine a better bargain. For this price I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Excellent budget hotel, though if you have mobility problems it is a rabbit warren building of corridors and stairs. We stayed in room 4 which was out the back of the hotel . It was very clean and quiet. Great location, just a couple of minutes from Earl's Court tube. Would stay again for a short city break.

Plentiful continental breakfast. Mario on reception was especially helpful & deserves a mention.

Room Tip: Rooms 1 - 4 are out the back of the hotel but larger & very quiet for sleeping.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends