“London - located near international stations” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Comfort Inn Kings Cross

Comfort Inn Kings Cross
Ranked #346 of 567 London B&B and Inns
Durham, United Kingdom
“London – located near international stations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

We stayed for one Saturday night breaking our rail journey from the North of England to Milan via Eurostar. Our first impression was of an efficient, friendly and well located hotel. The receptionist was particularly helpful and spoke good English.

There are many restaurants in the area of the hotel which is within walking distance of Kings Cross, St. Pancras and, slightly further away, Euston Stations. There are also many small grocery shops nearby.

The room was small, even by London standards, but adequate for an overnight stay with a relatively early morning start. The room had a flat screen TV which had its language set to French, making finding and viewing programmes difficult for non-polyglots. During the evening one regular BBC program started giving “audio descriptions”. We could not switch this feature off as the TV instructions were in French. The receptionist, fluent in French, tried but could not help. We left the problem unresolved.

Breakfast is self service, in the basement, and comprised cold buffet with an offer to cook eggs as requested. Fortunately, breakfast was available early, even on s Sunday.
The location and friendliness of staff are the hotel’s main assets while the TV setup is just plain weird. This hotel is perfect for overnight stays while traveling by train.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MacAndrew
Comfort Inn K, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn Kings Cross, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Dear Guest,

On behalf or our staff, we are writing to let you know how delighted we were to receive your kind words.

We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their night's stay a satisfying one. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guests at reasonable prices. But, only through their eyes that we can accurately assess the quality of the accommodations and services provided.

We would like to thank you regarding the positive feedback about our rooms, please be advised that all our rooms are recently refurbished and we do our level best to maintain the same level of comfort.

Again, let us to thank you for your kind words. We're committed to total guest satisfaction, and we look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
CStannard
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

For the sake of fairness I should say that I stayed here a couple of years ago and had no issues whatsoever. However, I stayed here last week for a night and whilst the room itself (Room 111) was fine in terms of size, facilities etc. the smell of damp was absolutely horrendous to the point that I seriously considered sleeping with the door open (window was sealed shut despite being on the ground floor). The problem was so bad that when I put clean clothes on the next day that had been hanging up in the room the smell of damp had pervaded them and I walked around all day stinking to high heaven like a damp, musty tea towel. I could also taste the horrible smell in the back of my throat and I'm sure sleeping in that room for eight hours was responsible for the hacking cough I've had for the past week.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that isn't damp.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank CStannard
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your email.

We are concerned about the issue you experienced at our hotel during your recent visit. We are writing to thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention.

We accommodate many guests each evening and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guests at reasonable prices.

Consequently, it’s disappointing to learn that you’re unhappy.

Please be advised that we have checked room #111 and there was no smell of dampness. Should you have informed our Front Desk Team about about the issue, they would have been more than happy to change the room for you.

Again, we want to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us.

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Coventry
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

My wife was given a leaving gift of seeing a show and 2 nights stay in this hotel. After reading reviews of the hotel we were very worried. We did actually phone up the booking company to see if we could change it but we couldn't. On the way to the hotel I joked about hearing the word "basement" as most of the bad reviews seem to mention that. Imagine our horror when we heard the words "you are in the basement". So we entered the room and it was fairly small but it was clean and the facilities were fine. Every few minutes we heard a rumbling noise and worked out it must have been the tube line under the hotel as it seemed to be every 2-3 minutes. I put ear plugs in at night so did not hear it but my wife did and it did affect her sleep so if you are a light sleeper be aware of that. The breakfast was fine as continental breakfasts go and I always ate enough to last me until lunch. There was a problem as the breakfast room is fairly small so people either had to wait for a table or share with someone else. All the staff were friendly. The bed was comfortable and the location of the hotel was good. So to sum up I probably wouldn't pay what the hotel cost to stay there again but the experience was not as bad as some people have had.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ian H

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Let us to thank you for your kind words about our staff and our rooms. We're committed to total guest satisfaction.
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014

We stayed at this hotel on New Years Eve, but we were disappointed. Instead of good location its really poor hotel. Receptionist was really surprised when I asked him if we can check in 5 minutes before checkin time as we were tired after long journey. So discussing as the hotel had most of their rooms unoccupied! We'll never come back to this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your email.

Consequently, it’s disappointing to learn that you’re unhappy.

Please be advised that should we have had your room available and ready before the check in time, our Front Desk Team would have been more that happy to do that.

Kuala Lumpur
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

Stayed 3 nights last week from April 21st - 24th. Chose this hotel due to its proximity to St. Pancras International but definitely not a 3 minutes walk when you are lugging your luggage or even when you are empty-handed: close to 5 minutes walk actually.

Initially I was allocated a pretty decent room on the 2nd floor with lift access despite being a little small since I asked for a single room that I can live with it as it was clean especially the bathroom but the nightmare started when I wanted to shower...the water was really scalding hot with steam billowing that no matter what I did was in vain. Called the Reception, who initially told me that it was a little difficult to control and asked to try again in which I did. Well, I had stayed in many hotels and working in a few myself, I had used this type of shower before but the one in that room was actually stuck! The lady Reception came up to assist that she couldn't even shift the knob to control the temperature whereby she told me she will get some assistance while asking me to leave the window open afraid that the hot steam may trigger the alarm. I had to call her twice before she came out again to try(she was alone at the Reception) besides having her maintenance colleague on the line to guide her. Finally, when her effort went futile (It was nice of her trying to help), she decided to change my room in which I asked for the possibility of having the room on the same floor since I have already unpack ready for a three night stay and really don't fancy repacking to move rooms in which she replied all other rooms on the same floor might have the similar problem.

Well, I guess she was trying to be nice to put thing right by assigning me to a Suite Room (404) calling it an "upgrade" but didn't tell me that the suite was located in the next connected building without lift access! I repacked and came to the Reception to collect the key (Remember she is working alone?) and went up again to look for the room before bringing all my stuffs, found Suite 405 after a couple of small stairs within the same floor but no 404. Went down again and after waiting for some time before she got off the phone and that's when she explained that I have to go via the lobby to the other building to gain access to my room! Then why do I bother to come down to collect the key first if the only way to gain access to the new room is via the lobby? Why didn't she explained it in the first place?

Now the NEXT nightmare, after bringing down all my stuffs from the previous room, went across the lobby through a couple of doors before coming to a flight of stairs, not the short one but a steep and high flight of stairs, dumped my 20.5kgs luggage at the bottom of the stairs, went back to the Reception to question her "No lifts?" in which she offered to help me with my luggage (How is she going to help if she is alone or do I have to wait till midnight as it was already past 2130hrs ?!).

Decided to do it on my own as I am much faster and fitter, first I took my hand-carried stuffs up leaving the 20.5kgs luggage at the bottom of the stairs. After flights and flights of winding steep stairs I came to another door that indicated the direction to 404, opened the door and saw Room 404! After dumping my hand-carried stuffs, I had to go down the arduous flight of stairs again to drag my 20.5kgs luggage up! Unpacked again still under the impression that I will be staying for 3 nights(Had been on the road for weeks now touring Southern France, hopping from hotel to hotel, thinking at least 3 long nights to nicely unpack) finally shower, water was still very hot but not as bad as the previous room. Manage to have a quick shower and turn-in for the night as I had travelled from Paris as early as 700hrs. dead tired.

Next morning, met the same girl at the Reception to tell her that the water is equally as hot as the previous room in which she replied that she will get someone to look into it and she also told me that the hotel is going through the process of changing all the shower knobs when I questioned her that "No one else complained about the hot water or no one showers in this hotel?". So the entire hotel has problem with extremely hot water? 2nd night, the water was still hot but manageable to have quick shower.

NOW the BEST part, after staying 1 night in Room 404 and a day of tiring outing, climbed the flight after flight of stairs to my room, only to find the Key Card not working?! Went back to the Reception, only to be told by this male Reception "Yes I have a message for you. You have to change room tomorrow as the room you are staying has a check-in". "Do I have to be locked out to be given that message? And what another room change? Why was I not given a room that I could have stayed through instead of changing room again?" - Those were my questions. Guess what was his reply? " Your reservation was for a single room and you are now in a Suite!". My fault? I was sorry to have raised my voice on that poor guy but my patience was really wearing thin. He further gave me assurance that I will not be changing room anymore. Of course, I couldn't agree more as I am already checking out after tomorrow and definitely NOT COMING BACK. He offered to move my luggage for me, that's was the only consolation.

When tomorrow morning came. the new room was not ready and I have to move out of the current room leaving the 20.5kg luggage behind for them to transfer but with no place for my valuables as I cannot use the safe in either of the rooms. Had to leave it at the counter in an sealed envelope that was just left at the corner of the counter! Do I have a choice instead of carrying it with me?

Guess what when I came back, I was attended by another male Reception who handed me the new room key telling me that there will not be anymore room change! Satire maybe but he was nice to offer a morning call when he heard that I was leaving early tomorrow and even told me that he will inform the Breakfast Room to open early at 600hrs so that I can grab a quick bite before catching the Eurostar back to Paris.

On top of that, the flooring between floors are really thin as I had sleepless night in 404 on the 2nd night when the guest upstairs was thumping around in the room above mine till past midnight.

What an experience?? Well, I am not going to teach how this hotel handle their problems despite I am a professional hospitality trainer, I am sure they would know better if they want to stay in business.

Room Tip: Ask if the room has lift access?
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Thank you very much for your feedback.

We are concerned about the issues you experienced at our hotel during your recent visit. We are writing to thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention.

Consequently, it’s disappointing to learn that you’re unhappy.

All the issues that you have raised in your feedback have been addressed and the faults have been rectified.

We would like you to give us another chance by staying with us again during your next visit to this area.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a night - note I didn't say sleep. Staff are helpful and pleasant however the rooms are unbelievably hot with no control. Couldn't open windows under threat of being guillotined. Beds were hard, so hard. Family room is a sofa bed which is harder than the bed.

Stayed April 2014
Comfort Inn K, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn Kings Cross, responded to this review, April 29, 2014

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Please be advised that the bedroom temperature can be controlled from the room, the radiator can be turned ON/OFF. We also have AC in all our bedrooms which can also be used to change the temperature of the bedroom either to warm/cool.

Let us to thank you for your kind words about our staff. We're committed to total guest satisfaction.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

One night stay. Offered everything we needed. Extremely clean, very helpful and friendly staff. Good value for money. Plenty of food at breakfast time - not a full English but more than adequate to set you up for a full day 'touristing'. Will return..

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Comfort Inn K, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn Kings Cross, responded to this review, April 28, 2014