“Highly Recommended”

Ranked #356 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Highly Recommended”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

What a find! This hotel is in a great central location, just a short walk from Bayswater Underground. It's a perfect base for exploring London. Our room was very clean and comfortable and reception staff were extremely friendly and helpful. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Mandar D, Manager at The Premier Notting Hill, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you for choosing Shaftesbury Premier London Notting Hill for your recent visit to London. We really appreciate your comments and feel very proud that the team at the Shaftesbury Premier London Nottinghill was able to meet your expectations.
We look forward to welcoming you back at the Shaftesbury Premier London Nottinghill

Duty Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

In big cities like London and Paris, where hotels are expensive, if you're unfamiliar with the areas, one may end up in an area where it is not safe for a woman to be out alone at night looking for a place to have dinner. This hotel is in quite a posh neighborhood of London, yet walking distance to places with good selection of food and some shopping. The area is also near Underground stations. The room was really quite small but very well appointed and I slept very well. I would go back to this place and am impressed with the Shaftesbury chain overall.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank loupeter

Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

Nothing but praise for this little hotel. Very friendly and helpfull staff.(a special mention for receptionists Dadia and Chan and concierge Mr. Kazim). Our room on the 2nd floor was overlooking a quiet square. Comfortable beds, nice bathroom, all very clean. Good English breakfast. Close to Bayswater Underground station. Neighbourhood Notting Hill is lovely . Lots of pups, restaurants, real Italian coffeeshops, boutiques. CHARMING !Even at night one feels safe. Couldn't be better. WE WANT TO COME BACK !! (same room !!!!!)

Room Tip: We had a corner room on the 2nd floor overlooking the sqare.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Mandar D, Manager at The Premier Notting Hill, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Thank you for choosing Shaftesbury Hyde Park International for your recent visit to London. We really appreciate your comments and feel very proud that the team at the Shaftesbury Hyde Park International was able to meet your expectations.
We look forward to welcoming you back at the Shaftesbury HydePark International.

Vienna, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel for a few days on a business trip. I was pleased that it appeared to be in a safe neighborhood and almost dead quiet at night. I checked in late at night and got off the elevator to see my room directly in front of me; one step away. Being an American, I'm used to pretty much standard sized halls, doors and minimum distance between certain objects made standard by building codes. I opened the door and could not figure out how to turn the lights on in the room, I had to fiddle with my cellphone to get the flashlight function working so I could wander around in the room pushing and twisting and playing with the switches by the door; nothing would work - I then spotted a card-reader looking device by the door that you need to place your keycard into for the lights and heat to work. Would have been nice if the front desk staff would have told me about this. Another thing I found out that is if you leave the room (and take your card) the heat turns off and you arrive back to a cold drafty room. I fixed this by tearing off a small piece of cardboard (credit card sized) and stuffing that into the card reader; at least when I went out for dinner I could arrive back to a warm room. The thermostat was hard-set to 28c for heating and there was no adjusting it. Most of the times this was OK if I stripped to my underwear, but was too hot after showers in the morning; I found that turning off the heat before shower worked well. The room was very tiny, while I didn’t measure it, it could not have been wider than 8 or 9 feet and the double (short) bed took up 90% of the floor space with barely a foot of distance on the far side by the drafty window. The only clear floor space was between the bed / wardrobe and tiny desk that was provided with tea service and a phone. The tiny desk was pretty much about the only horizontal surface in the room besides the small bed side-tables so I had to constantly take the tea-service off the desk and put it somewhere else in the room to work on my laptop at the desk. With the chair by the desk pushed under the desk - there was barely a square yard/meter of floor space before the narrow walk to the bathroom and entrance door. I'm a big guy and was constantly feeling like I was going to bump into something or knock something over with the small space in the room I was in. The bathroom was OK, but had a weird half-glass shower door and the tub was very narrow so I was feeling like I was doing a balancing act just to keep my feet while taking a shower and getting water all over the floor because they don’t have a real shower curtain/door. Though I suspect the reason they don’t have this, as it would be pretty much impossible to move in the shower/tub with a curtain. Of laughable security note, there was an in-room security safe with digital pad, I started to use it but then found that the safe was not even bolted to anything, and could have simply been picked up and removed from the room. The iron and ironing board provided was kind of a joke, they had chained the iron to the ironing board and the electrical cord to the iron was having electrical wires protruding from the insulation; that made for an interesting mornings ironing my shirts making sure I didn't brush the electric cord with my arm. One day after returning to the room I found the tea-service on the floor instead of on the desk, I had to move it the night before to get room for my laptop and I guess the maid thought that I preferred my tea-service on the dirty carpet when making up my room. I believe on the last day of my stay one of the pillow cases had spots and trails of blood on it when I returned from my day of business. I was so tired each day that I pretty much didn't mind the small bed, and got comfy with the heat blowing at 28c under some light covers. One nice touch was the variety of pillows provided thin/thick,stuffy etc. that allowed me to get some good sleep. The room was pretty quiet at night, didn't have any noise issues. The common hallway that leads to the elevator and all rooms was so narrow that I could barely raise my arms from my hips with a coat on, this is definitely not the hotel for someone who has issues of feeling boxed in or claustrophobic. The single hydro lift/elevator they have is slow, take the stairs. The hydro lines can be heard out on the street while the lift is operating, I suspect this is the noise that folks complain of when staying in the basement rooms. Oh, and if you are thirsty, you can pay 2 pounds (don't forget to tip!) for a tiny 200ml glass bottle of coca cola, buy some down the street and put it outside the window if staying in the winter time. Oh, they don’t have washcloths in the bathroom, only hand towels and towels, so bring your own washcloth or body scrubber. -- Bottom line, if you are an American and used to standard sized rooms with four or 5 feet on all sides of the bed and room to move around - don't book this hotel. The free wireless Internet worked most of the time in the room, thought it was spotty or slow a few times - ask for the passphrase at the front desk.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Dave R
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the wonderful review and for the time and effort taken to write the review.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience that the service has caused you. Please be advised we have taken the feedback seriously and are working out with all deparment to tackle the issues.

Could you please be kind enough to contact me on the below mentioned email address so we could get back to you personally.

We at The Shaftesbury Premier London Notting hill strive to make sure each and every guest experiences luxury and a wonderful stay

.For any further reservations please do not hesitate to contact me directly at dm.ship@shaftesburyhotels.com
Hope to see you again soon!

With Regards

Mandar Dhage.
Ballynacally, Clare, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

we arrived at our hotel and found the staff very helpful and friendly, but we were led to believe that this was a Hotel, so when asked where the bar was we were informed that the nearest bar was just outside to the left, so the Hotel did not have a bar of its own.
The hotel did not have a restaurant so we had to go out each night to eat.
the hotel room I booked was a double, But when we were brought to our room, it was so small that three people could not stand inside the room without hitting against each other, this was the case when the hotel porter showed us to our room.he went into the room my wife followed him and I had to stay in the hallway until the hotel porter left the room.
The room was very clean and comfortable but the room was so small that one could not walk to the other side of the bed as the bed took up what little space was in the room
I spoke to the hotel receptionist and asked if I could get a bigger room, and the following morning we were moved into a Club room, this room was a little larger but not what I was expecting as the only difference was that the en-suite had a bath and the room was a little bigger, however the staff were very nice and in particular a young man named Kazim was very eager to help in any he could.
The breakfast room was equally as small as the bedroom with very little space between the very small 2 person max tables. I met a man in lift and he was a tall man, he told me that his feet were out of the bed all night but he did agree that the location of the hotel and the friendliness of the staff as well as the cleanliness of the property did help to overlook the lack of comfortable space one would expect in a "4 star" hotel.
I would call this property a Guest House and not a Hotel.

Room Tip: If one is tall don't go there, and I am not a a tall person
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Costcutter C
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing The Shaftesbury Premier London Notting Hill for your recent visit to London. We appreciate your comments and feel very proud that the team at the Shaftesbury Notting hill was able to meet your some expectations.

With regards to bigger room I request you to please email mail me once you do the booking so that I can arrange nice & bigger room for you.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Shaftesbury Premier London Notting Hill.

With Regards
Mandar Dhage.
dm.ship@shaftesburyhotels.com
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

We were booked at the Hyde Park and were moved to this clean, friendly and quiet place. We had only planned to stay three days and travel but stayed two weeks instead, skipped a tour to Scotland.
Staff were the best: friendly, courteous, hospitable.
I had hesitated to visit London, worried about finding an affordable place. This place was great value.
Kazim and Dyxa were people i dealt with most. They were very very good at making us comfortable. In fact, we spent a lot of time at the hotel because it was relaxing.
We had a lot of breakfast options as vegetarians, never missed one breakfast in two weeks. Plenty of meat for carnivores.
We had a great pub, Prince Edward, across the street. Really lively Friday night. Great restaurants nearby, including Bloody French.

Notting Hill was a blast! The market is unbelievable.

I will return to London soon and will stay at this hotel again. Cheaper than a good hotel in Vancouver and superb service.

• Stayed December 2012

Belfort
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

We loved this hotel. Just enough off the beaten path to have quite nights and very close to three metro stops. It's located in a beautiful area of Notting Hill, there are a bunch of wonderful restaurants, pubs, and shopping and just a quick tube ride away to anything else that you would like. The front desk staff was welcoming and friendly. The hallways and rooms were a bit warm, but we cracked open our window and found the perfect temperature for us. The room we were in was small but cozy. But I think small rooms are just kind of a standard for London. We would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family. We had a room with a wonderful view of the park across the street.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Shaftesbury Premier London Notting Hill for your recent visit to London. We really appreciate your comments and feel very proud that the team at the Shaftesbury Premier London Notting Hill was able to meet your expectations.
We look forward to welcoming you back at the Shaftesbury Premier London Notting Hill.