Our stay at this hotel was pretty much like any HIE stay - the room was clean, as were all of the public areas; everything was well maintained and the facilities were as expected.
A couple of exceptions though:
We arrived at 11:30, having travelled across London (after waving goodbye to a much nicer hotel!) to see if they would check us in early - something which is of no extra cost to them but would have helped us out to be able to drop our stuff and sort out what we needed for our day in London. The lady on reception (Sara I think) was horrible! When I asked "is there any chance we could check in early?", she replied with "no" - and that was it. When I delved a little further, there were apparently no rooms ready (this is 2.5 hours before check in) and there weren't going to be any until precicely 2:00. Rather than tell me it was hotel policy not to check anyone in early (which I would have understood and been happy with), she just claimed there was nothing free and that she wasn't going to do anything about it to help us!
Another exception to the HIE standards is the breakfast was very poor - bear in mind that I stay in lots of these brand hotels so I know that breakfast is only ever good, but basic. There were only croissants (no other pastries), cheap muffins in plastic wrapping which were sweaty and not much else to tantalise the tastebuds! The toaster was an Argos branded domestic 4 slice, which was not enough by a long way. Usually HIE's have a rotary one - I feel the franchisees of this hotel are a bit greedy and thinking this sort of thing will be fine. After waiting in the queue for the toaster for 10 minutes, it isn't fine!
The room was exceptionally hot, even with the 'air con' on full and the window open (about 8 degrees outside at night). I have no idea how anyone could sleep here in the summer!
I booked this hotel through Hotwire for £41 ($58.50 at point of booking). I recommend booking through hotwire as it looks like the hotel struggles to shift the rooms so resorts to using Hotwire for getting rid of them. If you're a Priority rewards member, you can add your membership number to your room on arrival.
I would stay here again but really only for somewhere clean & comfortable to sleep. £41 for almost central London is fantastic, despite the downsides.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn Express London-Royal Docks/Docklands Hotel is perfectly situated in the heart of London's dynamic Docklands area and is only minutes away from Canary Wharf and the Excel Exhibition Centre. London City Airport is only 2km away and Canning Town Tube and Bus Station is within few minutes walk. The O2 Arena is also a short distance away (only one tube stop). The Holiday Inn Express London-Royal Docks/Docklands Hotel has 136 fully air conditioned en-suite bedrooms. This London hotel has spacious family rooms. All rooms have High Speed and Wireless Internet facilities (chargeable).Visitors to the World Travel Market, International Boat Show, Toy Fair, London Wine Festival and Anthony Robins Exhibitions will all find the hotel ideally situated. Meeting and Conference rooms are spacious with natural daylight, convenient for local business meetings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, IHG, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands Hotel London
- Holiday Inn London
- Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands England