“Could be better with some effort from the hotel staff”

Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands
Ranked #543 of 1,088 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Could be better with some effort from the hotel staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014

The staff at reception was quite unhelpful. I wanted to pay upfront cash but they were wondering for a while why I want to pay upfront. We made our booking ages ago and requested a twin room.. however, we were told that all twins are occupied and they gave us a double room. London was at its warmest and the air conditioning was not working at all in the room we were provided. When the lady from the reception came in to check our rooms air conditioning she was trying to imply that its perfectly ok and she clearly said 'our hotel does not have air conditioning.. its the air from outside which our system throws into rooms' .. I was very certain that it is a lie as I have stayed at this hotel before and was certain they had very good air conditioning in rooms. However, we were moved into another double room which had perfect air conditioning (for sure it wasn't the air from outside).. and we were promised a twin room for next day.. Next day as per their promise we were moved into a twin room.. The rooms was ok as it was supposed to be.. but changing 3 rooms wasn't great when you are on a holiday.. breakfast is very very basic..

Despite all this I think this hotel is average and not poor because once u have a good room its quite comfortable and cleaning staff is good.. and the best part is hotels location and access.

Room Tip: Don't go for a double room with sofa bed.. it will leave no space for u at all if u decide to co...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Tracie1309, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear AhmedJamal,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at The Holiday Inn Express, London Royal Docks.
Please accept my apologies for the issues you encountered during your stay and I am sorry during your return visit to the hotel we failed to meet your expectations. I will be feeding back your commets at our next management meeting. I appreciate all feedback good or bad, as this helps us to improve our service and standards. I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again and we can show you how great we can be.
General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bridgend
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

I stayed with two other work colleagues at this hotel for three evening. Yet helpful when asked we all thought the reception staff who are the face of the hotel could have been more welcoming and a little less (looking down their noses at us). It was a shame as the rest of the hotel was faultless.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Darral T
Tracie1309, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Darral1970,

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay but very concerned to read that you felt reception team looked down their noses at you. I would be grateful if you could e-mail me your reservation details so I can look into this further. You can contact me direct at tracie.barrie@redefinebdl.com.
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014

We stayed here for four days on arrival in the UK. The taxi ride there from Paddington seemed like it was miles away, but actually it was just 5 minutes walk to the station, then 10-15 minutes on the DLR to Tower to start sightseeing, or with a change you could shop all day at Canary Wharf. Also handy to the O2 and the Emirates Skyway (5-10 minute walk)
The sofa bed wasnt made up in our room and when we enquired they had no housekeeping staff (despite the fact that we had had to wait because the room wasnt ready when we arrived) so they had to change our room - rather than have the bed made up in the first one. The 2nd room was much more basic bordering on rundown and the sofabed was extremely uncomfortable.
Breakfast was included in the price and there were plenty of choices for hot, cold, and continental. WiFi was also free. Staff were mostly helpful, some more than others. The only downside was the lack of eateries for evening meals. Lovely Italian place next door - but there is a limit to how many pizzas and pasta you can eat in a week.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Tracie1309, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Desrkiwi_choccie_11,

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and we met your expectations during your visit. I am sorry that you was a little dissappointed with the hotel not serving dinner. In addition to the Italian next door we have a wide range of restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. I am sorry that you was not made aware of this during your visit.
Birmingham, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014

Given the price I wasn't really expecting a lot from this place, but I needed somewhere close to the O2. This place was perfect. A few minutes walk from Canning town DLR / Tube station, and a doddle to get back to after the concert finished. The room was clean and comfortable (and air conditioned, which we were glad of on the hottest day of the year!). Staff were pleasant, and the breakfast buffet had a good selection (which included sausage / egg / beans, so that was me sorted). I really cannot grumble. Would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: A few reviewers have moaned about front facing rooms suffering from road noise. We didn't find i...
Dear rebeltrucker,

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel perfect for your visit to the O2. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel the next time you are in the area.
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014

This Hotel is great for the O2 Arena just one tube ride to the O2 or the cable car which is about eight minutes walk from the hotel towards the O2. The double bed was smallest I have ever slept in, so it was extremely cosy for both of us and we tried not to move as we would either fall out or hit each other in the process when we rolled over. The breakfast selection was poor and very limited, scrambled eggs only, beans and very cheap sausages for hot choices. The usual limited cold selection provided. Not worth the money...I have had better on the motorway services!! People were left stood around waiting for the crockery to be brought from the Kitchens once they ran out.

Room Tip: Ask for a twin room that is away from the main road and the tubes.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Annunziata468,

I am pleased that you enjoyed the location of the hotel however I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations with our breakfast. As an Express Hotel we offer limited hot items of sausages, scrambled egg and baked beans. Our sister hotels at Holiday Inn offer a full English breakfast. Thank you for your feedback regarding the sausages, as a result of guest comments we are in the process of trialling different sausages that will meet our guests expectations. I do hope that yopu will choose to stay with us again the next time you are in the area.
Saint Leonards on sea
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014

We stayed here for an event at the 02 arena. Perfectly situated for the venue, about 200 metres from the underground station and only one stop away. The staff are friendly and helpful, clean room, comfortable nights sleep and a perfectly acceptable breakfast on offer. Pretty good all round and no complaints

Dear bigdoss,

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel the next time you are visiting London.
Chichester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

I wanted to have accommodation near to the O2 Arena but the close-by hotels were exepensive.

I was recommended this hotel, which is the next stop from the O2 Arena and only about 10 minutes walk from the Canning Town DLR Station.

The hotel is clean and has the normal Holiday Inn Express decor. Special surprise is the free WiFi that extended to my room as well as the reception areas.

Bed was comfortable - But the Sofa Bed was not and is far too hard.

The breakfast was a free choice of cereals, breads and sausage, scrambled egg and baked beans. Pity that the sausages were poor and the scrambled egg appeared to be made from power. Free newsapapers - The Times, i and Daily Mail gave plenty to read.

Overall, good hotel for those wanting to go to the O2 Arena.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Tracie B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Dear Andrew M,

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay for your visit to the O2 Arena. I hope you choose to stay with us again the next time you are visiting the area.