“Generally OK but a bit isolated”

Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands
Ranked #536 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Ashington, United Kingdom
“Generally OK but a bit isolated”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I stayed at this hotel on business as it was only one DLR stop from where I was working. It is about 5 minutes walk from Canning Town station, which is also handy if you want to take the Jubilee line to Stratford. Check in was OK, and the rooms are what you would expect from a Holiday Inn Express.
If you don't want to travel, there are not many facilities near the hotel. There is an Italian restaurant which is OK (ish) but fairly expensive, and a really weird eastern european shop that sells stuff that looks familiar but is strangely different, with 2 very rude ladies on the checkout who talk to each other and laugh while serving customers. I felt like I was in a Harry Enfield sketch. There is also a Thai restaurant in walking distance, otherwise it is tube or bus.
The hotel is next to a road, so expect some background noise - once again, the earplugs were a god send.
Breakfast is OK - I only ever have cereal.
All in all a decent business stay and I would probably go back.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Tracie B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Dear Agammemnon,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at The Holiday Inn Express, London Royal Docks.
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us for your business trip. I am sorry that you found the hotel to be a bit isolated. There are many options to dine out within walking distance of the hotel, the reception team are on hand 24 hours to assist with any queries you have. I was very disappointed to hear that you found the team rude during check out. If you would like to send me details of your stay to tracie.barrie@redefinebdl.com I will be able to investigate this further. Thank you once again for your comments.
General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We stayed for a concert at the O2,very convienient for said venue. And I can honestly say we received the best customer service ever....Dale who works in Guest services is so helpful and nothing was too much trouble!!

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Kedwards4,

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found our location good for your concert at the O2. I do hope you will choose to stay with us again the next time you are visiting London.
Freshwater, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

We were attending an event at the O2 and so we needed to stay locally as we live by the coast.
The sat nav took us to the address and we entered the secured car park and made our way to the reception.
The reception was manned by a flamboyant but friendly and efficient member of staff who quickly checked us in and made us welcome.
The third floor room was adequate in size and clean,although the mattress was a bit springy for our tastes and was approaching it's sell by date I think.
The receptionist called shortly after we arrived in the room to check all was OK and later helped us with a taxi to the venue as well as serving us drinks before we departed.
The breakfast was adequate although the scrambled egg was not to our taste but everything else was fine.
All in all I would say that the hotel is fine for a short stay and the staff we met were in the main very good.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Tracie B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear silverthorn53,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at The Holiday Inn Express, London Royal Docks.
I am pleased to hear that the hotel was just right for your purpose and you found the reception team welcoming during your stay. I do hope you will choose to stay with us again the next time you are in the area.
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Good connectivity if you take the tube from cannington. It is definitely far from the tourist area.
Ambiance is average. Breakfast is Ok, consistent with all Holiday Inn Express.

Staff where very courteous and helpful.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Tracie B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear VenkateshPonniah,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at The Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks.
I am pleased to read that you found the staff to be courteous and helpful during your visit and we met your expectations throughout your stay, though a little far from central London for your preference. I hope you choose to stay with us again the next time you are visiting the area.
Uk
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

Car park was surrounded by security cameras which was good, but on check out we saw empty condom wrappers on the floor! Check in and check out was fast, train station almost directly opposite. Room was very basic we had a family room, the pull out bed was like sleeping on wood, good job there was an extra duvet to sleep on. Two of the lights in the room didn't work, once we told staff they didn't look bothered or write it down at least! Breakfast was very poor, very limited hot food, sausage, scrambled egg and beans that was it, there were cold options and toast. But we heard a lot of people conplaining about the lack of variety I would've been prepared to pay extra to have something tidy.

• Stayed April 2014
Tracie B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands, responded to this review, April 6, 2014
Dear Retrospec567,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express, London Royal Docks.
I am sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations during your visit, please accept my apologies for the shortcomings in your room. I will feed this back to the maintenance and housekeeping team. Our breakfast offering in a Holiday Inn Express is continental with limited hot items of sausage, scrambled egg and baked beans. I am sorry that this was not to your liking. I appreciate you taking the time to feedback your stay as it helps us to focus on what is important to our guests.
Littlehampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2014

This hotel is in an ideal position when you visit London with your own car. Easy to get to from M25.No congestion charge applicable. Hotel is Modern facility. Staff very helpful. Small but adequate room. Reasonable charge. Good breakfast and even space to eat it! ( not like many USA hotels we have visited) Hotel car park only £10 per day. Public transport, 5 minutes walk to Canning Town Underground, buses and DLR. Bought a day travel card and went all over London. Went to Stratford on jubilee line, 5 minutes ride. Westfield Shopping Centre for dinner every evening. lots of choices.

Room Tip: We had twin room. We had one on 2nd floor in the front of hotel. The back might be quieter if you ar...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear 234Joost234,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express, London Royal Docks.
I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and found our location ideal for your London visit. I hope you choose to stay with us again the next time you are visiting the area.
Genoa, Italy
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Stayed recently for three nights. The staff were courteous and professional, they even let me have Tesco deliver some shopping to take back home. The room was ok, nothing special maybe some of the fixtures are looking a little tired, but on the whole it was clean. Breakfast was my biggest disappointment, I had heard good things about it but my experience wasn't so good. The hot items available were sausages, baked beans in tomato sauce and something that looked vaguely like scrambled egg. So no mushrooms, no fried or poached egg or even a grilled tomato. Don't try the cappuccino from the dispenser, it tastes revolting. The patisserie stuff was ok but tasted a little old. In the end I got the impression that they don't actually cook anything, they just warm things up which isn't ever going to taste nice. So all in all its an ok place to say but don't expect anything from breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't look onto the main road as its quite noisy.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Tracie B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear nickdring,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Holiday Inn Express, London Royal Docks.
It is great to read that you found the staff courteous and professional during your 3 night stay. I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations with our breakfast. As an Express brand we offer a free continental breakfast to all our guests with limited hot items of sausage, scrambled egg and baked beans. Our sister hotels at Holiday Inn are full service and offer a full cooked English breakfast. We appreciate all feedback from our guests good or bad as it helps us to improve our service and products, thank you once again for your comments.