“Ideally situated near to O2 arena”

Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands
Ranked #553 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Booked this because of its easy access to the O2 arena,. Canning Town underground station is a five minute walk away, the O2 just one tube stop away.

Had family room (3 adults sharing), room comfortable with one double bed & double bed settee which was already made up. Our only minor complaint here was that there were only 2 mugs available to use, although a trip to reception rectified that. Beds were comfortable, room warm, shower powerful with ample toiletries provided.

Breakfast in the morning was adequate, plenty of cereal, bread & croissants, but not much hot food, some scrambled egg and baked beans, which ran out very quickly and weren't readily replaced.

Staff very polite, check- in & check out was quick and efficient.

The one gripe that we did have was the services at the hotel bar. After seeing our concert at the O2, we fancied a drink before bed, but discovered (along with other guests that returned at the same time), that the bar had ran out of a lot of alcoholic drinks, no lager, no vodka, no whiskey etc. I realise that this is a smallish hotel, and wouldn't expect it to hold crate loads of alcohol, but felt that I probably have more in my house than that bar held! And I only drink alcohol on special occaisions

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Rainbowkath
Tracie B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Dear Rainbowkath,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at The Holiday Inn Express, London Royal Docks.
I am pleased that you found our location ideal and our rooms comfortable. I will take up the point of only two mugs provided for three guests in your room with our housekeeping department. Our free breakfast includes limited items of scrambled eggs, sausages and beans.
I am really sorry that on your return from the O2 we only had a limited selection of drinks available. We do increase both our orders and deliveries during busy events, it seems we underestimated how busy we would be.
Thank you again for your feedback and I do hope you will return on your next visit to the O2.

Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night at a cost of £71 perfect location for the 02 just one tube stop away from the 02 or use the emirates airline cable car, both just a short walk away! Hotel was clean, modern looking, the staff were really helpful we drove and parking was just £10 for the night which I thought was great price for London! Our room was clean and comfortable with great pillows all the usual amenities included and a good breakfast was provided the next day! If your going to see a show at the 02 this is the hotel for you. I will definitely stay here again as you cant beat the price or location!

• Stayed: July 2013
Tracie B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Dear Lisa021187,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about The Holiday Inn Express, London Royal Docks.
I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and it was great to read your lovely comments.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to London.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

This was the 4th or 5th time I have stayed at this hotel, but the first time for pleasure rather than business.
The Hotel was very clean and if you have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express before then you will know exactly what to expect in terms of amenities. Flat Screen TV, Tea & Coffee and pretty standard breakfast. Also spotted an Ice machine which I hadnt noticed before.
Reception Staff were pleasent enough although the guy left manning reception and the (small) bar on his own at night did seem a bit stressed!
The Location is the key thing to think about when booking this hotel. It is normally cheaper than most other London Holiday Inns, but that because its not in 'central' London. So if you are wanting to be in the West End or around Earls Court then expect a 30-45 min tube ride.
We went to an event at the Olympic Park in Stratford, so the hotel was ideal for this or the O2 arena. I have also used it when Flying out of London City Airport.
Really nice Italian next door and handy spar type shop there too.

Room Tip: Maybe a High room and one facing away from the road.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear Humberbridgers,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at The Holiday Inn Express, London Royal Docks.
I was really pleased to hear that it was your 4th or 5th visit to the hotel and your stay was for pleasure rather than business. I do hope you will choose to stay with us once more upon your next visit to London.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Stayed for four nights last week as we had a show on at the Excel nearby. The cost per night over £225 for a room that would cost around £60. The staff were good and the free breakfast was ok but the rooms were tired and if you were to value at cost poor. the bed is not over comfortable as both choices of pillow.

The hotel is only five minute walk from Canning town tube and 15 minutes walk to the Excel.

If I had paid sub £100 it sill would be only ok at best, some may call it profiteering at over £225 per night......plus we took four rooms. Just too also point out the Ibis up the road was £249 per night because the Excel had a show on and availability was limited in the area.

Room Tip: Front rooms onto main raod are noisy
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear Paul S,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at The Holiday Inn Express, London Royal Docks.
It is great to hear you enjoyed our location, team and free breakfast. I am sorry to hear that you found us not to be value for money. I can assure you that we are not profiteering as you mentioned in your review and I am sorry that you left the hotel with that impression. Our prices reflect the demand and are competitive in the market place. Thank you once again for your feedback.

Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Good points are
*It's very close to canning town station so very good if you plan to go to the O2

The staff were very helpful and outgoing!

There is a good shop and very nice Italian restaurant next door

Bad points.

When booking the room I asked for a double bed but when I arrived we had to settle for a twin room... They do say subject to availability but I do think an email would have been nice!

If you want peace and quiet... Keep your windows closed!

Breakfast is included but it is defiantly nothing be excited about as they did not even have bacon! I'm afraid if you want a cooked breakfast you will have to settle for backed beans, scrambled eggs and sausages!

• Stayed: July 2012
Tracie B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear Frank A,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review of your stay here at the Holiday Inn Express Royal Docks.
I am pleased that you found our location good and the team helpful and outgoing. I am sorry however that we did not quite meet your expectations with our free breakfast offering and standard room policy. Your feedback is really important to us as it helps us identify what areas we can improve to make each guests stay a great one.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Ideally located for the 02 and this part of London this looks like a standard Holiday Inn Express but is differentiated by a really excellent team – very welcoming and extremely helpful – only one real issue – try for a higher floor or at the back because of the very busy road in front

Room Tip: Try for a higher floor or at the back because of the very busy road in front
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear CNVECT,

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found our location great. Thank you for lovely comments regarding the team, I will be sure to pass these on.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel on your next visit to London.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

From the moment we walked in, this hotel disappointed. The staff were rude - they were short and extremely inhospitable during our stay. There is NO FREE WIFI like the website suggests, however you are free to use one of the two ancient computers in the lobby, but they timeout quickly. The hotel also messed up our booking - however they graciously (ha) gave three grown men sharing a room a double bed and a couch to sleep on. When we complained that they had our booking wrong, they argued that the three men in the room should have no problem sharing beds. The location was poor, it's somewhat intimidating leaving the hotel at night. My room had a nice view of a burned down building with barbed wire. The plus side is that there is a bus stop and a tube station across the street. The downside is that it takes an hour and a half by bus to get to city center, and it's one of the last stops on the tube. Overall - I would never recommend.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank firefly2190

Dear firefly2190,

I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the hotel from the moment you walked in. I am unable to locate your reservation from your profile name and would like to look into the issues you experienced during your stay. Could you please e-mail me at tracie.barrie@redefinebdl.com with your reservation number so I can investigate further.