“Very much recommended”

Ranked #461 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Stockholm, Sweden
“Very much recommended”
Reviewed August 15, 2014

Stayed 3 nights in a familyroom at this very nice 3star hotel near Blackfriar Bridge. Plenty of space in the room that was clean and with comfy beds. Cannot think of anything to complain about, staff also very serviceminded and helpful with Paco as our "go-to-guy".
If we visit London again, we will definetly look this hotel up again to accomodate us again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank triptraptrull
Francesco M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Southwark, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Dear triptraptrull

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback following your recent stay at our hotel. I am pleased to read your kind words towards the team and Paco, please rest assure that I will share your comments with them. At Holiday Inn Express we strive for delivering a guest experience that is Simple, Smart and Spot On and I am glad to see that we got this right for your. Please keep recommending us and I hope you will choose us again next time you visit London.

Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Asianexpert
Reviewed August 14, 2014

We have been moving this week from the Crown Plaza Hotel from the other side of teh Thames river into this hotel - as the Crown Plaza was full.
Comparing it with other (much mor eexpensive) hotels in the center, it is a notable difference, that a couple of extras are included in the hotel rate - from Internet to breakfast. So, there is not the usual ++ on everything.

One need to understand the concept of a Holiday Inn Express to adjust the expectation: The idea is, to minimize the staff number in order to keep the price low. Therefore, the reception may not be always staffed with two people, nobody opens the door for you and at the breakfast you have to take your juice and coffee from machines. Nevertheless, the few people they have here are exceptionally helpful and friendly. They really went the extra mile, whether we wanted to know more about some locations or get our car safely parked.

LOCATION: On the southbank of the river, you have the Tate Gallery, the Shakespear Gloe Theatre within 5 min walk distance. We found as well Borough market (10 min down the stree) an amazing place for food & pubs in the afternoon. Tower bridge and Westminster bridge will take about 15-20 minutes to walk. You may want to take public transport, the enxt tube station is "SOuthwark Station", about 5 min away.

ROOMS: Tehy have onlytwo types of rooms, all very standardized. There is averything you need (TV, Water boiler some tea bags and NEscafe) but not a single thing more than this. We stay in a room with Kingbed + sofabed, which is sufficient for a familiy of three.

FOOD/BF/DINER: There is not much to say here - as the restaurant offers only breakfast in the morning, but no lunch or diner. Given the wide choices around the hotel, this is not an issue at all. The breakfast is ok, not really great. But you get a good choice of cereals, bread, croissants, jam, etc. and some scambled eggs & suasages (which taste a bit strange/artificial) But there are no plates of ham or salamon an dthe like) . But again, this is an Holiday Inn Express and not the InterConti - so it depends om the expectations.

Overall, we have been treated well here and found teh place very comfortable. The biggest plus is certainly the hotel staff and the location.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor; although there is not much better view - there is mor elight.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Asianexpert
Dear Asianexpert

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at the Holiday Inn Express - London Southwark. I am glad to see that you found the reception team friendly and that the hotel location was suitable to your travel needs. I will certainly share your feedback with the staff here and I hope you will stay with us again in the not too distant future.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2014

I stayed here on business a few months ago and have to confess that my usual place was full (i.e. this was not my first choice).

I was pleasantly surprised by the location. It was literally a street away from the river and as a lone female, I felt safe walking around on my own at night.

My room was fine - clean, functional and very basic. There was no view to speak of and despite being in a single bed, I slept okay.

I didn't have much to do with the staff but at check in, they were very apologetic for my wait and made a good impression etc.

I have to say that breakfast was very disappointing. I couldn't eat the bread and cereals on offer and therefore opted for the scrambled egg and sausage. It was awful... I'm pretty sure the egg was powdered and the sausages just tasted horribly processed. I ended up buying something on the go instead.

Overall a good experience. I'd probably stay there again if work was paying but not if I was going to London for fun...

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Skunkerhoney

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at the hotel.I am glad to see that you found our location suitable to your trip requirements. With regard to your breakfast comment, I have already discussed it with our food and beverage team to review our breakfast offer in terms of quality and variety of items. Your feedback is very important to us since it helps us understanding what we are doing right and where we need to improve. Many thanks again and I hope you will choose us again in the not too distant future.

Harlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2014

Spent just one night here and it exceeded all expectations. The staff were excellent and very friendly.
On entering our room we discovered that the bathroom was flooded and water was pouring through the ceiling. We were moved immediately and with profuse apologies and assistance with our bags.
Room was small but plenty big enough for a short stay, the bed was comfortable and the room was very clean. Great shower with endless hot water.
The price was such good value and cheaper than other well known budget hotels in the area with the bonus of breakfast included. There were a lot of staff present during breakfast and tables were cleared quickly and with a smile.
Hotel is in a good position, within walking distance of Southbank and very close to Tate Modern and Borough Market. Underground is about 10 minute walk away.
I would definitely stay here again. The staff were exceptional.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GillyT
Francesco M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Southwark, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear Gilly T

Thanks you so much for taking the time to write a review of your stay at the Holiday Inn Express - London Southwark. I am delighted to see that the team did such a great job to ensure you have a comfortable stay and I have already shared your comments with them. Please keep recommending us and I hope you will choose us again next time you visit London.

Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed our stay for over a week here...very convenient to move around in central London using tube n bus . comfortable place with basic requirements...suited us fine as we just needed for a good night sleep, breakfast n wifi.
Must mention that the staff members are very warm and helpful.
Overall I would say me and my family was more than satisfied with our choice of stay !

One small feedback - some variety in breakfast menu...I.e. some changes in couple of days would be a big positive in terms of customer satisfaction !!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear aroop c

Thank you so much for taking the time to write review of your stay at the Holiday Inn Express - London Southwark. I am happy to see that you found our central location suitable to your trip requirements and that you had a good nights sleep. Also I would like to thank for your kind words towards our staff members. Please rest assured that I will share your great feedback with them.
Many thanks again and I hope you will choose us again next time you are in London.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2014

A nice boutique hotel in Central London with very competitive price. I stayed with my son for 9 days and therefore save a lot for food. Easy walk to Soutwark station, Waterloo station or the London Bridge station. Plenty of restaurants around that area, especially the Borough market. Breakfast included, free wifi. Staff are friendly and helpful. What else you want in Central London? Will definitely recommend others to stay in this hotel to beat the expensive hotel cost in London.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Wangler_13

Thank you so much for your five stars review following your stay at our hotel. I am delighted to read your positive comments regarding our team and I have already shared your feedback with them. Please keep recommending us and I hope you will choose us again in the not too distant future.

Wisbech, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

I found this hotel was the best value for money this close to london. Price included complimentary breakfast. About a 20 minute walk to the eye or a 10 minute walk to the tube station. Staff were friendly and helpful and allowed us to leave our bags in a locked room until our check in time so that we could have longer in london. A great place to stay if you're just looking for somewhere to sleep after a busy day. I would come back if I were to stay in london again.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Dear liv1990

Thank you so much for your great review of your stay at the Holiday Inn Express - London Southwark. It is a pleasure to see that you had such a great stay and I will certainly share your positive comments with the team here. Please keep recommending us and I hope you will stay with us again in the not too distant future.