“Expensive for what it is”

Holiday Inn Express London - Southwark
Ranked #439 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed September 17, 2013

This Holiday Inn Express is conveniently placed near Southbank in Southwark. I have no complaints at all. Breakfast is free, which is a nice bonus in the morning. Wireless internet is also free. My room was small but as a place to rest your head, perfectly fine. Comfortable bed with a choice of pillow types. There is a bar downstairs which is handy for a late night glass of wine or a beer.

Overall a very clean, tidy and pleasant place in a good location. But for the price? Not good value for money in my opinion. If I'm spending £200 a night I expect something a bit special. Of course, all London hotels are ridiculously expensive.

Room Tip: Away from the elevator!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Stephen W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Southwark, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Dear Richard M
Thanks for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us. It was great to read that you found the location and hotel to your liking. It is always great to have a shared review which is complimentary about the hotel and the team here.
I am aware that this is a high demand time in London and it is unfortunate that you were unable to get a special offer for this stay. Thanks again & we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future. Kind Regards - Stephen

Write a ReviewReviews (1,078)

Reviewed September 17, 2013

My wife and I have been in London for the weekend to cover a variety of activities in different locations .
We booked the above hotel and were very satisfied .
Reception staff were very warm and friendly and we were dealt with very efficiently and quickly .
The room was to our liking , clean , well equipped , and quiet .
One more chair would have been an added advantage .
Breakfast is included and although it says "continental " sausage , beans and scrambled eggs were included .
There was a good selection of other breakfast items .
The hotel is very well located for a number of attractions and is well served by bus routes .
Altogether an excellent value for money location .

Room Tip: Rooms on the side are quiet although some building is in progress . The double glazing was effectiv...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear beacroft
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at the hotel, it was great to read that you really enjoyed your stay with us. I have shared your feedback with the team here and it was good to know that you found the hotel location and facilities exactly what you needed. Please do visit us again and we look for to welcoming you back in the not too distant future. Kind Regards - Stephen

Reviewed September 12, 2013

I stayed a couple of nights in this hotel which while not being overly luxurious was clean, well kept and rooms were a decent size. Staff were friendly enough but forgot my wake-up call but overall staying here was a pleasant experience, if unremarkable experience. London is an expensive place to stay so the high price of my stay is probably just about par. It is however of note that the location is much better than first appears being less than 15 mins walk from Waterloo station and also close to the Thames.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Stephen W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Southwark, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear Ric399
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us - it was great to read that you enjoyed the location of the hotel and found that the team here were friendly and helpful. I do hope that we will see you again on your next trip to London. Kind Regards - Stephen

Reviewed September 11, 2013

This is a good hotel if you want a clean, functional hotel in central london from which you can explore the city. The rooms are clean and decent size and the staff are very friendly. The breakfast is also good.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Francesco M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Southwark, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Dear Dansker_London,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following you recent stay at our hotel. It is always a pleasure to read such a positive feedback. I will certainly share you comments with the rest of the team who will be delighted to hear that their efforts have been recognised. Thank you again and we looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

I like the Holiday Inn Express chain as a general rule - great rooms, breakfast included, usually a good rate. There must be something going on in London at the moment because my room last night (nothing fancy, just a basic room) was £255! I had to stay so had no choice - but at that price, I would expect better....

However, if you can get a room for a more usual London rate (£150 or less) it's good value.

One word of caution - I asked the hotel to book me a taxi to take me to work in the morning. The journey is less than two miles (it was cold and I had a heavy suitcase I didn't want to carry/drag...) and the traffic was light. The cab driver charged me £18! That is daylight robbery - the hotel should ensure the taxi firm they use charges reasonable rates, as customers will trust them and use the firm they recommend. Having paid £255 the night before, I feel royally ripped off.

Dear Sam N,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following you recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express - London Southwark. I am sorry to hear that our hotel was not up to your expectations. Your feedback is very important to us as this helps us improve the facilities and services we offer to our guests. I hope you will give us another chance and choose to stay with us again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Just home after a excellent stay at the hotel Holiday Inn Express Southwark. The reception staff where really friendy and welcoming especially the trainee gentleman on at the weekend. The hotel looks really modern and is in a great location. The only down side was a little external nosie from outside. Thanks again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear Acarse903010,

Thank you so much for your great review. I am glad to read that you have enjoyed our great location and friendly staff. I will certainly pass your positive comments to the rest of the team here in Southwark and we all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

After much research - decided on this holiday inn express on the south bank and wasn't disappointed. Near Globe theatre and millenium bridge but the entire southbank river walk is scenic. Most sites are within walking distact or take the subway or a double-decker bus for the view.

Rooms are smaller than North American standard but service was excellent and the breakfast buffett was a good start to the day. There are lots of restaurants along the southbank within walking distance. Overall - the southbank is a hidden gem.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear dpg4,

Thank you for your great review following your recent stay at our hotel. I am delighted to read that our location was suitable to your travel requirements. We are centrally located and within walking distance from some of London's biggest attractions such as London Eye, Tate Modern and Shakespeare's Globe Theatre. Thank you again for your positive feedback and I hope you will choose us again on your next trip to London.