“Nice Staff, Good Location!”

Holiday Inn Express London - Southwark
Ranked #460 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We were aware that we arrived at the HI too early to check into our room; it was only 8am. The staff was wonderfully acommodating,and not only showed us where to change clothes (the lobby bathroom is large and clean), they also stored our baggage, and asked if we would like to eat at the breakfast that was included in the room price--though we had not stayed with HI for the night, yet. I also had asked, when I booked, that our room be on a high floor, and away from the elevators. The young lady at the desk gave us 2 different room options, but actually came up with an even better option,by the time we returned to our room, around 2pm that day. We appreciated their trying to acommodate our requests,and during our stay, did everything they could to continue doing this during our 3 days at this property.; whether it was for ice (free), or local information,among other things.
We had booked the larger, family room, and while it is not huge, was very clean,comfortable, and ample for our stay. The bathroom is unusual, but was still good sized,and very clean. It was also nice that there was hand soap, and Dove liquid bath soap and shampoo, in a handy dispenser on the shower wall. The bed is firm, but comfortable, and the air conditioner works well. As we left early, each day, we saw housekeeping in the hall, beginning her day. We let her know we were leaving, and our room was clean each day, when we returned, around 3pm.
The Southwark location is great. Borough Market is an easy walk, as well as a tube station, and walking to the Tower Bridge. We moved to the Covent Garden area to meet friends arriving,after 3 days, but were glad we had a chance to experience Southwerk (they pronounce it "Southerk").
It's true the breakfast is not what Americans are "used to",but this is England! We surely didnt go hungry, as there was yogurt, fruit,eggs, sausages, good coffee machines, and chocolate croissants I enjoyed with my cafe au lait, every day.
This is a good alternative to the expensive hotels closer to the City,clean comfortable, and quiet, and gives you a view of a different area of London,while being able to get everywhere you'll want to go, from the Tube station just 4 minutes from the hotel.We'd gladly stay again!

Room Tip: ask for a higher floor, away from elevator, for a quiet sleep
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Stephen W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Southwark, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear CupcakeToo
Thanks for taking the time to write a comprehensive review of your stay at the hotel, it was great to read that you loved the hotel and team here. I have shared your feedback with them all, we are grateful for your comments & truly hope you will continue to promote the hotel to all your friends and colleagues. I hope that we will see you again many thanks again, Kind Regards - Stephen

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express London - Southwark

Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

Chose this hotel as our base for attending WTM at Excel, relatively close and good value compared to other hotels. First plus point is that it has it's own parking. Staff very attentive, courtious and always willing to go above and beyond to assist.

Rooms clean and standard HIEX style. Breakfast was plentiful and again of a good HIEX standard. Always included in the rate which is great.

Nearby, if you walk for about 10-15 mins there are some nice places to eat, we found a Cafe Rouge near the river which I would highly recommend purely for its peaceful location.

• Stayed: November 2012
Stephen W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Southwark, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear Aspdn
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the hotel. It is always pleasing to review a positive review which highlights some of the benefits of staying at this property. I have shared your feedback with the team and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the hotel. Thanks again - Kind Regards - Stephen

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed here in mid-June 2013 for a combination of business and pleasure.
Reception was friendly, unfortunately my corporate CC was not accepted (Diner's Club).
When asked for directions to the sights and my office, the receptionist went outside with me with a map to point out the sights, directions and also told me which bus to take.
As a platinum member I got a chocolate bar and 2 hours of WiFi.

The elevator was small and slow, but just fitted me and my suitcase. Using a shoe-horn you could probably fit 3 people without luggage.

The room itself was quite nice and spacious, especially for UK. I had a double room with sofa. The TV was LCD (but never used it). The bathroom was small but had a very smart layout so I had no real issues there. Don't try to use it with 2 people at the same time though.
I had no issues with the cleanliness of the place.

The wifi in the room was not free (apart from the 2hour voucher), so I spent some evening-time in the lobby. Unfortunately the doors of the lobby opened out to the street, making it very chilly there. Also there was no functioning heating in the room. When asked about this, they said that June is considered "summer" and the heatings are turned off by default. It definitely was not summer when looking at the thermometer. 17 degrees at noon, probably in the low tens at night. I did get an extra blanket delivered to my room the second night. To no avail however, due to the chilly lobby + the first cold night I have been sick for a week now with a throat and ear infection.

The breakfast was included, but was very poor in my opinion. There was mention of "a collection of cheeses" but I did not spot that. The scrambled eggs were of a very low quality (maybe not made from real eggs?). The sausage was also below average, as well as the chocolate rolls. My biggest friend was the espresso machine.

My company paid over 300 pounds for 2 nights, more than 400 euros, which is probably among the highest I've ever paid for a room. I think the property would have better value if the breakfast was charged separately.

So while the hotel is probably above average, my perception is a bit subjective due to the fact I got sick there and I really disliked the breakfast. On top of that, it was too expensive for what it is: a holiday inn express.

Room Tip: rooms on the back have less noise. but the view is probably terrible in any case.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Dear zabinko
Thanks for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at the hotel. I am sorry that we were unable to process your credit card payment as we do not take Diner Club cards at this property however, I am pleased to see that this matter was resolved by the team. I have shared your feedback with the team here and we will use this as part of our product ad service review process.
It is always helpful to get feedback regardless of the subjectivity as this will help us assess areas that need reviewing and improvement, so I am grateful. I appreciate that this property can be viewed as costly however, due to our location demand is extremely high and this is a peak time of the year. I really do hope that we will see you again on your next visit to London. Kind Regards - Stephen

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Booked the hotel purely because it was close to where I had a meeting. My previous experience of staying in central London tells me to not to expect too much but this hotel offered fantastic value for money. The rooms, for London, were very reasonably sized and were exceptionally clean. The staff were fantastic....warm and welcoming on arrival, knowledgeable of the area and transport links and generally helpful without it being over the top and insincere. I have paid four times the price for a hotel in London before and not been as satisfied as I was with this. A great hotel and I would recommend it.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Stephen W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Southwark, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Dear Mark6167
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at the hotel - it was great to read that you had a great time here and really enjoyed the hotel, team and location we have! I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future. Kind Regards - Stephen

Reviewed June 17, 2013

I booked a night here as we had a wedding reception around the corner from it. The location is good for lots of sightseeing without it being really expensive. The room size was fine, bathroom nicer than the hotel we had been in the night before and it was clean. The hallways have recently been redone, could still smell the new carpet smell. The decor overall is good. The lift is tiny so during check out there can be quite a wait or just take the stairs. Staff were very helpful indeed, cannot fault them at all. Check in and check out was nice and easy, we could also keep our bags in their storage area after checking out to pick up later on. Breakfast was basic but adequate and filling enough. The only problem was the noise from the main road outside. This could still be heard even with ear plugs in. We were on the second floor facing the road so it was going to be noisy. If this could be an issue with anyone then i would suggest asking for a high up room or one facing away from the main road if possible. Would stay again though.

Room Tip: For quieter rooms ask for one not facing the main road.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear hiccup166
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at the hotel. It was great to read that you enjoyed the hotel and location - your feedback is really helpful to us!
I have noted your comments regarding the traffic noise which can sometimes be frustrating at the lower floor levels at peak times, I was only to sorry that due to being fully booked we were unable to room move you on this visit.
I hope this will not deter you from staying with us again, Kind Regards - Stephen

Reviewed June 17, 2013

i selected the hotel after staying at an express in hong kong. discovered quite a difference in standards across countries. on the whole the stay was pretty good. everything perfectly clean and well maintained. breakfast was good and items replaced quickly.

rate was on the high side but then again it was london and rates were high at all places i checked.

unlike the HK location i stayed at, this one had no refridgerator, no in room vault, and the bed was pretty small for two. no decorations on the walls.

overall the place was like a very clean and friendly B&B only at 3 times the price with a much better location than the average B&B.

Room Tip: hotel is on a quiet street so almost any room is good.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Jay C
Thanks for taking the time to let us have a review following your recent stay at the hotel. It was a really great review and I have shared your feedback with the team here, which is always helpful to receive - we look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future. Kind Regards Stephen

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights - booked the hotel initially as it was one of the most reasonably priced hotels in the area. Check-in was efficient and staff were very friendly. Room was good, clean and functional - space is limited in the room and en-suite but the room had everything I needed and was comfortable. My room was at the back of the hotel and noise was not an issue. The hotel is only a short walk from Southwark tube station (5 mins) so location is very good - only 4 or so stops from Bond Street station.

There is no dinner/lunch available in the hotel - just breakfast but this didn't bother me as I was out and about both days. Breakfast in the hotel is basic but suited me - usual drinks, toast, crossaints, limited hot breakfast, yogurt etc.

Hotel has Wifi in rooms was a small charge - £2 per hour. Wifi in public areas is free.
Check-out was efficient, and staff kindly printed my boarding pass for me.

If I was coming back to London I was certainly consider staying here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Stephen W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Southwark, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Dear IrelandCorkonian
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at the HIEX London Southwark.
I was pleased that you found the hotel suitable for your needs in terms of facilities and location. I have shared your feedback with the team here and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future. Thanks again - Kind Regards - Stephen