“Excellent staff service”

Holiday Inn Express London - Southwark
Ranked #425 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for a Saturday night and were very impressed by the high level of staff service when we encountered an issue with our room.

The first room we stayed in was clean and perfectly adequate however the radiator didn't seem to be big enough to heat the room. A wonderful lady at reception (Jennifer) really went the "extra mile" in finding us a new room.

The new room was on the 6 th floor, clean, warm and modern. As it was on the back of the hotel it was also really quiet.

The hotel is perfectly placed for London's South Bank, the Tate Modern, Southwark Cathedral etc. It is also just over a 5 minute walk to the Jubilee Line underground station at Southwark.

This is a good value London hotel and we would stay there again. Jennifer was an excellent member of staff and it's people like her that make certain hotels rank above others!

• Stayed: January 2013
Stephen W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Southwark, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Dear JADLondon
Thank you for your review, I was very pleased to read that Jennifer addressed the unfortunate problem that you encountered during your stay with us - I have shared your feedback with her and the team here as a great example of service recovery demonstrated to our guests. thanks again for your feedback and I hope that we will see you again. Kind Regards - Stephen

Write a ReviewReviews (1,087)

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Not bad.
Shower - no bath.
HIE hotels vary greatly. The one at Brentford Lock is very nice, with an excellent breakfast and nice restaurant. The Southwark one is small and only has a breakfast bar, (no bacon included at breakfast for example). And, it's just 100 metres away from the nicer/slightly cheaper Mercure (which has an expensive restaurant unfortunately), and 100 metres from a Premier Inn (which is slightly more expensive).
Ideal solution: stay at HIE and get breakfast included. Eat 2-course evening meal deal at Premier Inn incl. very nice steak option for £12.50
There's an XXL venue just up the road. What a mess in the morning!
And what a bunch of layabouts hanging round.
It's worth staying in West London e.g. at the Novotel or HIE - just a short Tube journey away from Southwark/ Blackfriars

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Stephen W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Southwark, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2013

Dear FreddyFIn
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent stay. I was sorry to ready that you found the location of the property not suitable for your needs. Southwark is a very busy area and only minutes from many of the main attractions that London has to offer, it also has good transport links to many of the other areas of the city.
I do hope that this visit has not totally put you off the hoetl and indeed this area of London, I hope that we see you again. Thank you for your review and feedback. Kind Regards - Stephen

Reviewed January 10, 2013

I would like to thank the hotel staff for making my short stay in early January very pleasant. The room was perfect, always very clean. the breakfast had a very vast selection although it is a small hotel. the reception staff was very helpful in explaining the whereabouts of London and was ready to answer each and every question.
Would definitely stay again when I go back to London.

Room Tip: Any room will do, their size makes them comfortable !
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear GabyJason
Tahnk you for taking teh time to review your stay at the HI Express London Southwark via Trip Advisor.
We always welcome any feedback and it was great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and you found the team informative and helpful. I do hope that we will see you again on your next visit to London. Kind Regards - Stephen

Reviewed January 8, 2013

Stayed recently for one night. Great location and only minutes walk from London Bridge Station & Blackfriars. Very clean hotel, friendly service, great staff and a nice breakfast. Would definately stay again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear dazby
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the hotel following your recent stay. It is really great to hear when our guests have a good experience and enjoyed their stay at the hotel. I have shared your feedback with the team here. Thanks again for your review and I do hope that we will see you again when you are next in London. Kind Regards - Stephen

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Stayed here from 21st to 23rd December and was blown away by the quality of the staff and treatment I was given here.

Arrived early, no room was ready but I was around 4 hours early, the lady at reception gave me and my partner a complimentary breakfast and a code to use wifi in my room later.

Room was spotless, staff were friendly, any requests were dealt with immediately, good drinks at the bar and close to the Tube for access to Central London.

Hopefully I will see you again in 2013!

• Stayed: December 2012
Stephen W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Southwark, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Dear Jimmyboco
Thank you for taking the time to let us have a review of the hotel, following your recent stay with us. I was very pleased to read your comments and have shared your feedback with the team here. We strive to give all of our guests the best service expereince and I hope that we will see you again as a result of your experience here at Southwark. Thanks again and Kind Regards - Stephen

Reviewed January 4, 2013

The room I had was small & very basic without any drawers or cupboards, and only a few open hangers. It smelt bad as someone had been smoking in it, plus the basin drain was emitting bad odours. Tiles in the bathroom were damaged, the basin plug did not work, and the carpet near the kettle was soiled. The room was not cheap and definitely not value for money. The only good things about the hotel were the complementary breakfast and the pleasant staff.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank LittlePatsy1

Dear Pat 187046
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent stay. I was disappointed to read your comments and I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the poor guest experience that you experienced on this occasion.
We have got an open wardrobe design in all of the bedrooms at this property and I do understand that some guests do prefer to have the options of drawers and closed closet doors. We will certainly ensure that you feedback is passed to the design team for consideration in the future.
With regard to your other comments regarding the condition of bedroom and the Housekeeping standards, I have shared this feedback with the taem so that we can get this matter rectified immediately. We do operate a preventative maintenence programme and are currently carry out a large number fo tling repairs throughout the bedrooms as and where they are required. This is an ongoing project and we anticipate to complete this project by early Summer 2013.
I do hope that we will see you again in the not too distant future so that you will be able to see the this experience appears to be an isolated incident and you will be able to see the hotel at its best. Kind Regards - Stephen

Reviewed December 25, 2012

Is it just me or anyone else thinks that Holiday Inn is't worth the money they charge. The facilities are usually at par with a poorly run B&B.

I stayed here on business a while ago, and was given probably the smallest hotel room there is in Central London, breakfast is basic and so is the overall experience. I subsequently stayed in other hotels in the vicinity and you will find better value there.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank NirN123
Francesco M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Southwark, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Dear NirN 123

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express - London Southwark.
I am very sorry to read that you felt that our hotel was not up to your expectation on your last stay. In terms of the condition, you may be surprised to hear that we have actually embarked on a refurbishment programme and we are shortly carrying out a full upgrade of the Reception and Great Room Breakfast area, this will greatly enhance the facilities for our guests. I do hope that you will give us another chance to impress you on your next visit to London to restore your faith in our products and service

Kind regards