“So so” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #490 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Halesworth, United Kingdom
“So so”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

Stayed here for one night on business. Great location. Very clean throughout. Breakfast was basic but nice. Very average, nothing that made me go WOW. The only real problem was the loud (what sounded like) a water heating/boiler system? Kept waking me through the night so didn't get a good nights sleep. The bed was extremely comfortable though

Room Tip: I bought a hairdryer with me but the room had one so could of saved space in suitcase!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
City_General_Manager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London City, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
I’m really glad you found us in location.
I’m sorry you encountered a problem with some noise – we are experiencing some minor intermittent issues with our air conditioning system. Can you please email my Guest Services Manager, Tracy on gsmcity@holidayinnlondon.com and we can get some further information off you.

Thank you for your other positive comments

Holiday Inn Express London City

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

Check in was fast and the room served. The rooms were adequately furnished although the toilet shower cubicle did not block the water after you showered and the floor would get very wet. Fittings were all working and was a pleasant stay. The breakfast was generous and a hot meal in cold London before the day ( Tube strikes and cold wind and rain ) would start you right!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms closer to the lift lobby. Or else its a long walk.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and are front desk staff were quick with the check in!
The shower cubicle issue doesnt sound right at all - can you email my Guest Services Manager, Tracy on gsmcity@holidayinnlondon.com so that we can investigate this more and get this rectified.
Thank you again for your comments and review

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last weekend as had a night out in Shoreditch, I requested an early check in as was arriving on an early flight, got the the hotel about 11am and was granted the early check in and also given a late checkout until 14:00 along with a welcome letter and free drink & snack voucher as a platinum IHG Rewards member.

Hotel included free wifi which admittedly was a little slow but it was free after all so I didn't mind at all! The staff were great, I asked at reception for directions to the venue we were going to on the Saturday and not only did they tell me but actually printed me a map too, I thought this was a great touch!

Room looked brilliant and the bathroom was lovely! Black tiles in bathroom and a blue colour scheme throughout the room, was really modern and looked recently renovated. Included with the room we also had breakfast, sausage, scrambled egg and beans great to start the day!

All in 5 stars for a great stay, will definitely stay again!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
I'm really glad you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for such a great review. I will make sure the team are passed on your feedback.
I hope you will visit us again when you are in London.

Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

We stayed 4 nights in this hotel and found it to be ideal for our stay. Room was clean and modern. Only complaint - the bed is a bit small. Breakfast was fine. It is well located for underground into centre of London which is only 2 stops from Kings Cross. Lots of shops and pubs around. overall Ideal for a visit to London.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

I stayed here recently with my Mum and we were thrilled with our twin room. For the area it is easily the best value hotel around, it's very close to Shoreditch High Street and also to Old Street station.

The rooms were average sized for London, sparse but nicely decorated with good beds (not too soft) staff friendly and the 'free breakfast' (I think it's clearly built into the rate) was a pleasant surprise. I had thought it might be terrible but it wasn't at all. Limited hot food but plenty to eat overall. I would stay again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

Nice and simple, spacious and clean room, friendly staff, Great value for money, Comfortable, clean and friendly hotel, stay there for a week for business purpose, breakfast had limited choices........

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
South East
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

I think this has to be one of the better value hotels in London in my experience. The location is really good being 5 minutes walk from Old Street. I stayed 1 night in order to attend a function on Shoreditch High Street and found the hotel very well placed.

Check in was efficient and friendly and the staff were able to give effective directions. I was on the top floor and had a nice sized room. The room had everything needed for 1 night. When I reported that the television remote had no batteries the reception staff sent someone with a replacement within 5 minutes which was impressive.

The bed was exceptionally comfortable and I had a really good night's sleep. The room was very clean as was the bathroom and well kept. Towels were of a decent quality and there was sufficient hot water. I would agree with previous comments about the soundproofing. I don't think I heard a thing all night.

Breakfast was perfectly acceptable. I would echo comments about the lack of bacon which I think is an essential component of breakfast. That said there was an ample supply of cereal, croissants and tea and coffee, all of which were fine. It doesn't go down in my list of all time great breakfasts but it was acceptable. I noticed that the staff were very conscientious in refilling the baskets when they started to run low.

I would definitely stay here again and recommend it. The location is great for Shoreditch or the city. The value for money is excellent as there are enough of the comforts you need and the service was very good.

Room Tip: Higher up rooms are very quiet
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo