“Great Stay”

Ranked #493 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Morlautern, Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
“Great Stay”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I have to say that this was possibly one of the best hotels I have stayed with in a long time. The staff was gracious and helpful. They went above and beyond anything that they had to do. The location was perfect. It had a mix of everything for everyone. There tube is in less than 10 minutes walking distance. There are several great places to eat nearby...and for those who love the night life there are several nice pubs and clubs in the area...but most of all the staff made the stay great...and the breakfast was not too bad either.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
City_General_Manager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London City, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear AI S,
Thank you for your great review. It is always a pleasure to read when a guest has enjoyed their stay at our hotel.
Thank you again for your comments - I will ensure all staff are made aware of this and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to London.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Korean first
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I travel to the Old Street area now and again for work and like to stay nearby the office. Sometimes I get the stay at the Hoxton Urban Lodge which is great if work are paying, however most of the time it's too expensive and I have to find a 'budget' hotel. I have stayed at the Travelodge nearby and the Thistle further away and in comparison to these two similarly priced hotels, the Holiday Inn Express was a breath of fresh air. Yes it is pretty chracter-less and the insides look like every other Holiday Inn Express I have stayed at, but there the place is clean and well designed and some comfort to be taken in the fact that it is a modern building - it means the rooms are reasonably large and the bathroom features all work. The room I was in had a great bathroom without any usage or age related detritus anywhere to be seen, and soap and shower gel dispensers. Tea and coffee facilites were in the room (no biscuits - tight wads!), the television picture was ok, and there was a telephone. There was a choice of firm or soft pillows, plenty of extra bed coverings and towels. The design of the room which was on the 5th floor over-looking the busy main road was such that traffic noise was minimised as much as possible (without bricking up the window completely). The window was small, double glazed and heavily curtained. There was no great view so i didn't care - I was more concerned about getting a good night's sleep. This I did without the aid of my ear-plugs for a change, but perhaps helped by several pints of Fuller's 'Honey Dew' at the pub down the road. breakfast the next morning was a busy affair, but the selection of stuff on offer was good. My only minor criticism of the breakfast was that there was no bacon (probably to expensive for them to lay on) and no bananas that I could spot (although there were apples, oranges and plenty of juices). However I enjoyed a bowl of crunchy nut cornflakes, a croissant with jam, a few juices and a coffee while watching the morning news. I also noticed a lot of free newspapers and magazines lying around which I thought was a nice touch (despite my craving for a banana).

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 5th floor (the highest level) and if you can get one facing away from the road...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear couchmagpie,
Thank you for your recent review on our hotel. I am pleased you liked the hotel and enjoyed your stay with us.
I'm sorry we dont offer Bacon, it's actually a Brand Standard in Holiday Inn Express to offer 3 hot items in our free breakfast which is Scrambled Eggs, Beans and Sausages.
I'm really pleased you liked our bathrooms, we had a major refurbishment back in 2011 for bathrooms and bedrooms.
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We stayed for three nights travelling with two teenagers and having two double rooms.

This is a hotel to choose for its location and for it being new, clean, predictable and, for being London, not overly expensive. Don’t expect anything else, i.e. no particular charm, no free wifi in the rooms, an only mediocre breakfast buffet (be prepared to get something elsewhere if you’re picky on this).

Our only real complaint would be that the air conditioning is a bit too noisy. Only positive surprise was that the bathroom actually was reasonably sized.

Beyond that, a nothing-special-hotel-experience which is easily forgotten; but then again, in London you could end up a lot worse at this price.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear LNJGF,
Thank you for your recent review on our hotel. I'm sorry you felt the hotel had no charm. My team at the hotel pride themselves on their welcome and friendly attidude.
WIFI is not free at present, but for our regular Gold and Platinum Priority Club Guests will we be offering free WIFI from July and our enginnering team are working on the current issue we have with air conditioning.
Thank you again and I do hope you will come and stay with us again when you are next in London.
Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I have stayed in many holiday inns but was disappointed with this one. The bed was really uncomfortable and my two sons were in a sofa bed that dipped in the middle(when i say dipped they ended up on top of each other) and whenever they moved position the bed squeeked loudly. The air conditioning/heating was difficult to control and the room was roasting-we didn't sleep well at all. We went to go for a swim in the private gym, along the road, which is available to guests of the hotel at a reduced rate and asked the staff for more information-they couldn't give us any and even struggled to let us know where it was. When we got there, eventually, the prices had gone up and children were not allowed-even 2 boys to use the pool aged 13 and 14yrs-they have to be over 16yrs. We were gutted, this was one of the reasons we booked this hotel, for a relaxing swim after lots of sightseeing the evening before our 6hour train journey home to Dundee the next day. Breakfast was ok

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Julie-anne A,
Thank you for your review on our hotel. I'm really sorry you and your sons found the beds uncomfortable, I've sent a PM to you for some further information. I'm really sorry about the mix up at the Gym/Swimming Pool. I have asked my Operations Manager to chase this up to make sure this is all sorted and our staff have the correct information.
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I stayed here for one night whilst on a business trip. The hotel is fairly modern and the reception staff were friendly. The room was also of a fairly decent size (for London) and the room and bathroom were clean.

That was pretty much it for good points. I found the bed very uncomfortable and lumpy and combined with the very noisy air conditioning / heating vent which was almost directly above I got a very poor nights sleep.

There is no free wi-fi for guests, which in an age when you get it free in most coffee shops and restaurants seems to be a bit tight. I also thought breakfast was terrible, I am not normally fussy when it comes breakfast but there was very little I fancied from either the hot or cold selection.

In summary a good location and reasonably priced but failed its primary function of being somewhere I could sleep - also the extras of breakfast and internet are poor.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank adamf76
Dear adamf76,
Thank you for your review on your recent stay at the hotel. I'm pleased you liked the decor and size of the room and found my team friendly.
We are looking at our WIFI service and this will be changing shortly. We also have our engineering team looking at this intermittant issue with have with AC noise in some of our rooms.
Thank you again and I do hope you will come back and stay with us again when you are next in the area.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed April 9, 2013

The Old Street location near tube, buses into City, Shoreditch and Islington is a great one. Value for money is generally good for expensive London. The in-suite bathrooms are really well done and the room interiors, though a bit cramped by North American standards, are quite good. In fairness, we were having a problem accommodating our teenage daughters in the same room elsewhere and Holiday Inn permitted that. It required particular discipline in such a tight space however.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear ubarky,
Thank you for your review on our hotel and I am pleased you really liked the bathroom and bedroom design.
Holiday Inn Express is proud to be able to offer family rooms to guests, but I do appreciate your comments that things can be a bit tight when there are 4 of you in the room.
Thank you again for your comments and I do hope to see you back here when you are next in London.
Takoma Park, Maryland
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I have to stay nearby for work, so the commonly cited advantage of nearby nightlife is wasted on me.

But this is as good as some high end hotels I've been in other cities. Staff is friendly and helpful, wireless is reliable, rooms are good and bathrooms are all new. The facility/building itself is drab and dormatory like, and the morning breakfast is bleh. But for the price, this is a great deal in London.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear CreekmoreWorld,
Thank you for your review on our hotel. I am pleased to read you liked the hotel and found my team friendly and helpful.
I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.