“a let down!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #485 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Worcester, United Kingdom
“a let down!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

The room was adequate and we did not spend much time there. It was too small and there was no bath. Although near a busy road it was quiet but ourfriends had a room at the back and their room was better and quieter. The central heating did not seem sensitive to adjustment and the quilt on the bed was too small and light. The double bed was small and did not seem to be the usual king size that one expects in hotels.. But the breakfast was good and the staff were very helpful and polite. The position of the hotel was good and convenient for the tube!

Room Tip: get a room at the back
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank sheilalacon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Korean first
Leeds UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed here once in 2005, so I though I'd try it again on a business trip.

As with most of these HIE hotels, the reception is very basic, but the staff were very friendly. My expectation for the room was set low.

To my surprise, the room was reasonably sized and tastefully fitted out with a cool modern bathroom and comfy bed. I got the impression it had recently been refurbished.

Seemed to be of a higher standard than other more central hotels that cost a lot more.

If you're a tourist, maybe you would want a hotel a little more central, though Old Street is easily reached on the tube if you have no choice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank cirianon
Budapest
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

Compared to some other Holiday Inn Expresses, this one is in great conditions and nicely renovated. I first got a room on the first floor close to "entrance" but the staff showed an excellent and prompt attitude when I requested a more isolated room, just to make sure I can sleep after flying from Vegas and having a terrible jet lag. I got a room with a sofa and a big double bed and slept like a baby. The heating/AC system made some noises once in a while but all in all it did not disturb very much. Bathroom is not so big, but nicely renovated..quite modern with the blue led light. Big working desk and flat screen tv. Reception staff was very kind and helpful each time I approached them. I did not use the bar or restaurant, except for the breakfast which was ok. The hotel is walking distance to the Old str metro station which result very handy and there are some nice bars/smaller restaurants in the neighbourhood. The Floripa is a must to go should you fancy Brasilian dishes and atmosphere. It brought a little sunshine to the grey British autumn :) All in all a pleasant stay in a good HIE - even though it was quite pricey (must have been a busy period)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Cheshire,England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

this was a better effort than I have experienced from Holiday Inn Express, note this is a franchise and Not Holiday inn for what that is worth. The check in staff were friendly, the room small but clean and functional and breakfast was better than lots of reviews suggested. The price for this standard was horrific and the wi fi should be free. The area verges on sleeping in streets through to city gentry.OK if you want to be in this part of London although stay in suburbs and travel in is often cheaper and better surroundings.

Room Tip: I was overlooking street and had minimal traffic noise so most rooms should be ok for sleep quality
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
City_General_Manager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London City, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear DaveSpend32,
Thank you for your recent review on our hotel. I am really pleased to hear you liked the hotel and breakfast and our staff were friendly.
I'm sorry if you felt are prices were high, we are actually very competitve in the local area on price.
I'm glad the room was nice and queit for you, following on from previous guest comments we had secondary glazing fitted to our bedrooms at the front of the building to block out the City traffic.
I do hope to be able to welcome you back upon your next visit to London.
Hulst, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

We were here with a family of 5. We had two rooms with a door in between which could be opened. Facilities of the Hotel were OK, nice rooms, nice bathroom ,but breakfast, parking and customer service was below the normal Holiday Inn Express standards.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear b991,
Thank you for your review on our hotel. I'm pleased you liked the bedrooms but dissapointed to read you thought are parking, free breakfast and customer service was below standard. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for imporving guest services.
If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable please feel free to contact my Guest Services Manager on gsmcity@holidayinnlondon.com
Hertfordshire, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

For an industry awards night, my colleagues and I stayed at the Express in Old Street which was fairly near our venue for the evening. Being located less than 5 minutes from Old Street tube and train station, with decent road links and limited parking, the hotel is well-sited.

It has a neat, welcoming decor with a small bar and breakfast area, all sandwiched narrowly between Old Street and Boot Street. Staff were always friendly and helpful, and check-in was quick and easy. There is a small covered drop-off area outside the door which works well for taxis.

Our rooms were on the third floor (320-324) and were very well appointed. For London, they were well-sized and in very good condition. It's not easy to say when the hotel was built or last renovated but no problems here. I liked some of the LED lighting in the room and the bathroom, with its black-tiled walk-in shower, that gave a good premium feel. The rooms were perfectly insulated from noise in the street too, and despite getting back from the awards at around 2:30am, noting that the desk is manned 24 hours, I slept very well.

Breakfast is free and although the cooked food lacked a little quality, there was a good selection including continental options. It was all self-service and while busy had just enough space for everyone. Overall, my stay was a very painless experience.

My only criticism is price. We booked a couple of weeks in advance and paid £179 for each of the rooms. True, we're in the city but this feels expensive, when for a £15 taxi ride you could be paying half this and still be close to the tube. Yes I know we all have a choice, but a couple of years ago I paid £150 for a room during September at the Charing Cross hotel, which was much more opulent.

This hotel is a safe bet and I would stay again, but I would think twice at these prices. For the same money, you can stay somewhere with much more character and interest and without Express in the title. Had the rooms been around the £100-mark, this would have been a five-star rating.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Ben W
City_General_Manager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London City, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear benw123,

Thank you for your review and feedback on the hotel. I am really pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel, and liked our new bedrooms and bathrooms. The hotel opened in 1998 and during late 2010 and 2011 we refurbished all our bedrooms and bathrooms to the new design which you enjoyed.

I'm sorry your felt the price was a little high, we are actually very competitive in the area. I can see you took advantage of our advance saver rates, which do work out better.

I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel upon your next visit to the City
Astana, Kazakhstan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

For the price I paid I could have found a better place (like a 4-star hotel near Oxford Street). I liked neither the room nor breakfast. The surrounding area is one of the dirtiest in London.
The only good thing about this hotel was its convenient location, however, next time I will definitely stay in a different place (public transportation system in London runs pretty well).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Anka_PP
Dear Anka_PP

I was sorry to read your review on my hotel and your comments. I am surprised your did not like the room or free breakfast as many guests comment that these are some some of our best qualities.
The surrounding area of the hotel is very vibrant and many guests choose to stay here because of the area, but I understand it may not be to everyones taste.

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.