“Expensive” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #607 of 1,086 Hotels in London
St.Leonards
“Expensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

I think spending £165 a night for a single bed in a room I'd struggle to take my rucksack off in is not my idea of fun,there are lots of hotels that offer more value for money, unfortunately mine was a last minute booking,not in my opinion worth the money.
Right at the top of the building up a very slow lift, take the stairs down as its quicker but be careful as the edges of the stairs have worn away making footing not secure.Staff weren't that welcoming either. Didn't get a chance to sample breakfast as had to be up very early.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
HotelServiceTeam, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Victoria, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Dear Forest9,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for providing us with your review, its always disappointing to read when a guest of ours was not satisfied but we respect constructive feedback.

I am very surprised you found the staff unwelcoming, this is something we are usually praised on so please accept my apologies if you felt this way.

With regards to the stairs, the hotel is a classic Edwardian house and some of the steps may be a little steeper than the typical modern build but I can assure you they are all stable and none are worn down.

We do appreciate that some of our guests may be leaving earlier than the breakfast time, if requested we can arrange a light early breakfast for our guests leaving before 7 am.

To conclude, I hope we can welcome you back in the future, by booking a double room you may find that more spacious and your stay more enjoyable.

Best regards,

Anthony Zihni
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

Upon arrival at 830 am the reception were helpfull to lock away our cases for the day so we could enjoy london and cheak in later. All staff were friendly and help the hotel is clean and tidy. Afew downsides im afraid the room was like a oven so hot we had a fan but no help and you couldn't open the window as is on a very busy street. The rooms are very small too but not worried about that really. Other peaple in the hotel were noisey so guess the walls arent to thick either. Breakfast was ok help yourself but with only around 15 tables you had to wait around for a free one at busy times! We stil enjoyed our stay though!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank celialclark
HotelServiceTeam, Reception Supervisor at Holiday Inn Express London - Victoria, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Celia Clark,

Thank you for making us your choice of hotel in London. Many thanks for your kind review as well. We are delighted to read that you found the staff friendly and that you were able to enjoy London from the start of the day after dropping off your bags.

I am sorry to read that the room was hot. Please note that with these hot weather conditions we do offer extra fans in reception, as well as cooling sprays. Next time please do not hesitate to ask in reception.

We look forward to welcoming you again next time you visit London!

Folsom, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

This hotel is located in the Pimlico area near the underground stop of the same name. Advanced purchased pricing is good. There are five floor in this small hotel which contains a small bar and provides a free breakfast. My wife and I have stayed here approx 10 times and have enjoyed them all. The hotel does not have AC so avoid the upper floor (5th) in the dead of summer. All front office staff were friendly and Mr. Ahab was especially helpful and pleasant.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mdindio,

It’s fantastic to read your review, especially coming from a regular guest. Many thanks for your continuous support! We will definitely pass on the comments to Ehab and the rest of the team.

Thank you again for your review. We look forward to having you back soon!

Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

I gave this hotel a 2 because of the lovely staff. The gentleman who welcomed me to the hotel was really friendly and I was asked how my stay was when I left. When I relayed my complaints I did receive an apology which was nice.
My room was reasonably small and on the first floor. My room was clean and I do like having a choice of pillows.
I had asked for a room with a desk as I knew I'd have to work in the evening, but it was very close to the bed, in fact it took a bit of twisting to get the chair out. It was useable but not very comfortable.
The air temperature was about 20 degrees outside but inside my room I could have been in the tropics. I'm not particularly sensitive to heat but this really got to me. I was provided with a fan, thank you for that, it did make the room cooler and bearable when it was on. I did initially turn it off when I tried to sleep because it was quite noisy but I soon learnt that the noise of the fan was the least of my worries. I felt like my neighboring guests were actually in my room, the insulation is that bad. The noise of the relatively busy road outside was incredibly loud. I didn't get very much sleep at all which was quite stressful as I was there for business reasons and really needed to be able to concentrate the day afterwards. If I had been able to sleep I may have given the hotel a 3.
The shower gel dispenser in the shower also did not work.
The breakfast was like others have said pretty standard Holiday Inn fare and quite tasty.
A point to note would be that there isn't a restaurant on site, however there are lots to choose from in the surrounding area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel is you want to get any sleep. I'd also ask for one on a...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Victoria, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Dear Uluru_12,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We greatly appreciate your feedback as this gives us the avenue to improve on our guest satisfaction. We apologize for any discomfort you may have experienced due to he room accommodations, noise from our other guests and hotel amenities which fell below your expectations. I have shared the information with the appropriate departments so we can better accommodate our guests and their needs.

We hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you should your travels bring you back our way.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

coleshill
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

5 minute walk from Pimlico tube station. Friendly and helpful staff, lovely room.. Complimentary breakfast (hot and cold) reasonably priced for such a great location, set in Georgian style terrace. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Debra S,

Thank you for choosing us for your London break, we are very pleased to read that you found the staff friendly and that you liked the location and the room.

It would be fantastic to have you back next time you visit London!

Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

This hotel is in a very good location, close to Victoria Station, a main underground stop which is also close to Buckingham Palace. The hotel rooms are very small, but clean. It was difficult to find a spot to open up your luggage! The breakfast was pretty good - similar to what you might find in a Holiday Inn Express in the U.S. If you are watching your budget and don't plan to spend much time in your room, this is a fine hotel. Otherwise, you might want to spend a little more money for a larger hotel room. They were very nice and accommodating when we asked for extra internet time (you only receive about an hour for free on one electronic item only).

Room Tip: Our room and a friend's room were both located in the front - street side. It was a little loud...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Renee T,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor. It’s great to read that you found our location well connected and that you enjoyed the breakfast.

Regarding the room size, please note that we do have larger family rooms which you can reserve in advance, as they are normally the first to be booked. Next time please do not hesitate to request a room at the back, we look forward to welcoming you back!

boynton beach
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

We spent 2 days in London after a 12 day cruise & stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Victoria. The staff is super friendly which somewhat makes up for the other problems. The rooms are quite small which presents a problem for your luggage-which upon check in they offer to keep locked up downstairs. We were on the 4th floor and the bathroom pressure was extremely poor. The area is interesting in that I think that all the hotels on this block & the next were private homes 80+ years ago & are now small hotels. It is further from the metro (underground) than we were told, but doable for people that like to walk. We took cabs to the main street after we saw the distance & it cost 5-6 pounds-we were 4 people so it was cheaper than using the bus. The room includes breakfast which is a convenience

Room Tip: I saw 3 rooms-they ranged from small to smaller. It appeared that the rooms that faced the back were...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear BonnieMae835,

Many thanks for choosing to stay with us during your trip to London. It’s great that you found our Pimlico neighborhood interesting and the staff friendly, I will pass on your comments.

As for the room size, we do have larger family rooms, though they are to be booked in advance as they are normally the first to be reserved.

We would be delighted to have the chance to welcome you back next time you visit London!