“Good cost x benefit ratio”
Review of Garden Court Hotel

Garden Court Hotel
Ranked #640 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Sao Paulo, SP
“Good cost x benefit ratio”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

This is a very well located, cheap hotel in London, which is a rare thing to find. Subway is very close by and there are convenience stores, restaurants and bars all around you. Westbourne Groves is one of the loveliest streets in London. The hotel itself is ok, you get what you pay for. No air con, which was a downside in the middle of the heat wave I faced in London, but my room wasn´t particularly hot so it didn´t bother me as much. I stayed in the single room at the top of the stairs so I could hear people coming in and out through the front door, which impacted my sleep since I´m a light sleeper. But my window faced a nice garden and I had no noise coming in from the outside, which I thought was great! The room is a bit too small and I could barely fit my huge suitcase in it, but it suited me well for the 6 nights I spent in London, particularly considering its price x location. Breakfast included is a plus, as is Gloria´s smiling face at the front desk.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Hotel Manager C, General Manager at Garden Court Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us. I am glad to read your positive comments about Gloria and I will pass it on to her. I am also happy to read that you liked our location and our proximity to the restaurants and shops. We hope you come visit us again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Hebrew first
Brookline, New Hampshire
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We just stayed 8 nights at the Garden Court Hotel and were very pleased. It is a very nice facility with decent sized rooms for Europe. It is clean and very affordable. They offer a complimentary breakfast of toast, fruit and cereal; and if one wants, you can purchase bacon and eggs. It is close to the intersection of two lines of the Tube (Circle Line and Central Line), making it a great base of operations for getting around the city. A couple of times, my wife and I used the Barclay cycle rentals in nearby Kensington Gardens to ride through green space almost all the way down to Trafalgar Square. On Saturdays, you are only a ten minute walk from the Portobello Market. The area around the hotel does not feel touristy at all (despite the souvenir shops) and gives a good feel of the city with a number of different restaurants including the local “pub grub” and numerous ethnic food options.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank foresterc
Hotel Manager C, General Manager at Garden Court Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit, it's great that you took advantage of the Boris Bikes to cut through one of the many parks in London. We hope to see you again sometime soon!
Columbus, OH
Reviewed August 9, 2013

My wife and I, along with our two children, 15 and 18, stayed at the Garden Court Hotel for seven days.

I can't imagine a more convenient location for a base to explore London from. You're within a quarter-mile of the Bayswater underground station, and a little further on is the Queensway underground on the central line.

The Garden Court was clean and pleasant. It's a little worn, a 19th century building has a lot of character, but also has a lot of years. You could see many places where finishes were worn and needed to be replaced.

The breakfast included with the room was fine. The staff was friendly, attentive, and there was plenty to eat. The basement breakfast room is nondescript.

The cost was fine. We had a family room with three beds, which was essential for our family.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front of the hotel are nice, overlooking the garden square. However, there is quite a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review us. I am pleased to read that you found us conveniently located and ideal for your family.
I hope to welcome you back some day!
Milton Keynes
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We booked this hotel for a cheap, overnight trip to London. We requested a triple room with three single beds, for me, my sister and my 5yr old daughter. We arrived a couple of hours before our check-in time and our room wasn't quite ready but the lovely lady on reception said our luggage could be stored until we returned later that evening. She even gave my sister a hair tie when she couldn't locate her own one in her bag. The room itself was clean and much more spacious than I was expecting after reading some of the reviews. Our room was equipped with a flat screen tv with freeview, a hairdryer, soap and shampoo and a fan, which was a godsend in 30 degree heat. Breakfast was included in the price (£75 for a triple room) and, for the money, it was very nice - offering cereals, toast, yogurt and fruit. Egg and bacon was available for a small charge. The member of staff serving breakfast was very nice, offering my daughter hot chocolate drinks. Again we were able to leave our overnight bag at reception while we had another day in the centre of London. Overall, a fantastic hotel at a great price with helpful staff located just a five minute walk from Bayswater underground station. We will definitely return again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hotel Manager C, General Manager at Garden Court Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us. I am delighted to hear how well the staff looked after you and your family during your stay with us. Customer service is something we pride ourselves on so it is always great to read our guests positive reaction towards our staff.
It was a pleasure having you stay with us and we hope to welcome you back very soon.
Kind regards,
Vince Polo
Reviewed July 13, 2013

This hotel was our main base for two prior trips to London, but we won't be coming back after our latest visit. It remains a tidy, quiet place but is no longer competitive with nearby hotels of similar price. A former library and a separate sitting room have now been converted to additional lodging. The effect has been to remove public space amenities and boost congestion. A long wait for the lift, or for breakfast in their now too small breakfast room is standard. We checked out feeling like this was no longer suitable for our needs. We spent our last night in London in a hotel literally across the street that had a spacious, modern, and welcoming lobby, an excellent breakfast buffet, and quiet, comfortable rooms with considerably larger bathrooms. Sorry Garden Court; we're moving on.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Peter G
Hotel Manager C, General Manager at Garden Court Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Peter,

I am so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your most recent stay with us. It is true that we no longer have the lounge and coffee areas though this has led to an increase in our bedroom standards and if you were to see these now converted rooms I am sure you would agree.
Normally our breakfast room (which has not been reduced in size) can cope perfectly with the extra footfall. At peak times there could be a small wait though we have never considered it to be an issue as it is very rare. It may have just been one of those days where everyone came down together and even the largest hotels would struggle with that situation.
I do hope you will consider us again as generally I consider us to be one of the best hotels in the area for value, it is true that our prices can vary dependant on occupancy but it also mean that, as you will find in Hoestdog63's review a couple earlier, you can find a bargain here too!
Georgia
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I will have to say my rating for this hotel went all over the map the five days we are in London.
First - the room is basic but nice - don't expect frills, but you shouldn't paying what you are in the middle of London. It was clean, quiet and cool (thanks to an open window). We were on the fourth floor so no street noise at all (even on a noisy Friday night). The shower was adequate although it did have a nasty habit of cycling rapidly between boiling hot and freezing cold, this only led to amusement on our parts - we have a weird sense of humor
Second - the location wasn't great for us - it IS close to hyde park, Kensington palace and the museum district, so if that is what you are in London for it would be fine. However to get to London tower, Westminster, big ben, st. pauls, etc it was about a 40 minute tube ride. This is annoying to say the least. Also the nearest tube stations are a little further away then you might expect.
Third - (and this is what brought the rating from a 3 to a 4) as we were leaving we discovered that I had inadvertently booked an extra night. We were fully expecting to have to pay this. Instead, the management bent over backwards to take that night's charge off for us. REALLY appreciated this!
So overall a really good experience, just wish we could have been a little closer to the main attractions of london

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your positive review, I remember speaking with you on check out, I hope you enjoyed your trip to Edinburgh. (I think that's where you were off to, apologies if I'm mistaken!)
Whilst we are not right next to the London Tower and Westminster 40 minutes by tube seems a bit excessive, I hope you went from our closest tube station (Bayswater), the journey should not normally take more than 20 minutes.
I am so happy to hear your appreciation of not being charged for the extra night, we all make mistakes and where possible we try not to penalise our customers. We employ this policy through all our properties and it's nice to hear from someone who found it advantageous.
Again thank you for choosing to stay at the Garden Court Hotel and we hope to welcome you back again.

Kind Regards,

Vince
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I based my review on the cost of hotel based on location and what the experience was like. I needed a cost effective night in central London and did not want to stay at Easy hotels or Travelodge so searched Bookings.com. The Garden Court appeared at £45 for a Sunday night with Breakfast and ensuite. The Garden court is situated in a pleasant London Square of Queensway and Westbourne Terrace. For £45 my single room was not big but single bed, basin and wardrobe and dressing table. The private bathroom was accessed via the bedroom door on the landing and immediately to the left was notice on the door as Private Bathroom for Room 605. Continental breakfast was included, Hot breakfast available at extra cost. I did not have breakfast as it did not start until 7:30. The outside of the hotel was appealing as was the common areas. For £45 this could have been so much worse, I would recommend this hotel and would return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I am glad to read that you liked the Bayswater area and found our hotel appealing.
I hope to be able to welcome you again very soon!