“solid choice”

Ranked #639 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Georgia
“solid choice”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I will have to say my rating for this hotel went all over the map the five days we are in London.
First - the room is basic but nice - don't expect frills, but you shouldn't paying what you are in the middle of London. It was clean, quiet and cool (thanks to an open window). We were on the fourth floor so no street noise at all (even on a noisy Friday night). The shower was adequate although it did have a nasty habit of cycling rapidly between boiling hot and freezing cold, this only led to amusement on our parts - we have a weird sense of humor
Second - the location wasn't great for us - it IS close to hyde park, Kensington palace and the museum district, so if that is what you are in London for it would be fine. However to get to London tower, Westminster, big ben, st. pauls, etc it was about a 40 minute tube ride. This is annoying to say the least. Also the nearest tube stations are a little further away then you might expect.
Third - (and this is what brought the rating from a 3 to a 4) as we were leaving we discovered that I had inadvertently booked an extra night. We were fully expecting to have to pay this. Instead, the management bent over backwards to take that night's charge off for us. REALLY appreciated this!
So overall a really good experience, just wish we could have been a little closer to the main attractions of london

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel Manager C, General Manager at Garden Court Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for your positive review, I remember speaking with you on check out, I hope you enjoyed your trip to Edinburgh. (I think that's where you were off to, apologies if I'm mistaken!)
Whilst we are not right next to the London Tower and Westminster 40 minutes by tube seems a bit excessive, I hope you went from our closest tube station (Bayswater), the journey should not normally take more than 20 minutes.
I am so happy to hear your appreciation of not being charged for the extra night, we all make mistakes and where possible we try not to penalise our customers. We employ this policy through all our properties and it's nice to hear from someone who found it advantageous.
Again thank you for choosing to stay at the Garden Court Hotel and we hope to welcome you back again.

Kind Regards,

Vince

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Hebrew first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I based my review on the cost of hotel based on location and what the experience was like. I needed a cost effective night in central London and did not want to stay at Easy hotels or Travelodge so searched Bookings.com. The Garden Court appeared at £45 for a Sunday night with Breakfast and ensuite. The Garden court is situated in a pleasant London Square of Queensway and Westbourne Terrace. For £45 my single room was not big but single bed, basin and wardrobe and dressing table. The private bathroom was accessed via the bedroom door on the landing and immediately to the left was notice on the door as Private Bathroom for Room 605. Continental breakfast was included, Hot breakfast available at extra cost. I did not have breakfast as it did not start until 7:30. The outside of the hotel was appealing as was the common areas. For £45 this could have been so much worse, I would recommend this hotel and would return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I am glad to read that you liked the Bayswater area and found our hotel appealing.
I hope to be able to welcome you again very soon!
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night only in May 2013 with friends. As we were a rather large group and rooms were at a premium I shared with a friend.
We arrived very early but the hotel was kind enough to let us leave our luggage in the reception until later that day.
Upon our return we all booked into our rooms and all was pleasant enough.
The down side to my review starts as follows:
The person I was sharing my room with decided to retire for the night quite early and we arranged for him to take the room key back down to reception.
Upon my arrival back at the hotel later that evening (morning actually!) I was told by the gentleman on the reception that the key had not been brought back to reception. The only thing to do was to phone the room to wake up my friend and get him to open the door.
My friend was upset at being woken up and insisted he had taken the key back to the gentleman on reception. I went back down to try to get to the bottom of this because I did not want any confrontation with regards to 'lost' keys during the morning check-out.
After at least 20 minutes of my insisting my friend must be telling the truth the key was eventually found in what appeared to be an old pile of keys in a drawer. No apology was forthcoming.
The next morning my friend informed me that prior to my returning to the room, a complete stranger had been given the keys to our room and had entered the room as my friend was asleep. The stranger apologised and said he must have been given the wrong key!
My enjoyment of the stay wasn't a complete disaster apart from the 20 minutes arguing but my friend was well and truly fed up with his experience.
On this occassion I do not feel I could recommend the hotel.
The ratings below are based on his experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Durnin1005
CumberlandHarrow, General Manager at Garden Court Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review and though it seems that you thought highly of the hotel and it's location it was spoilt due to issues with your room key.
Firstly let me apologise for what you experienced, I take the security of our hotel guests very seriously and am shocked to hear about this. This is the first I have heard of this and I would very much like to look into this matter to ensure that this does not happen again.
I hope you can find the time to email me directly at vpolo@cumberlandhotel.co.uk so I can further investigate this.
I would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention and if you do decide to give us another chance I would take pleasure in personally handling your reservation.

Kind regards,

Vince Polo

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2013

stayed in fifth floor triple room ensuite-clean and comfortable-good breakfast-good value

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your positive review though I think you may have accidentally hit copy and paste! Again thank you for staying with us and hope to see you soon!

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2013

One of the many similar hotels we have stayed in, in London. But this one has to be on the lower end of what we're used to.

Check in was easy, staff very polite and the reception area very welcoming. However our room was tiny, so small in fact that we were joking about the fact they had a desk but you had to sit on the end of the bed to use it as there was no space for a chair.

The bathroom was half finished with bare plasterboard on show, and was super small too.

Breakfast was served I believe from 7.15 to 9.30am on a sunday. Being our only day to lay in usually, I think 9.30am is very early to finish breakfast on a Thursday.

There were some good things, the bed was super comfy and we both slept very well, and our friends who also stayed in the hotel seemed to get a much bigger room than ours, so perhaps we were just unlucky.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank erooney23
CumberlandHarrow, General Manager at Garden Court Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel, whilst I'm glad to read that you found our staff polite and our reception area pleasant, I can appreciate some areas of your stay were not your satisfaction.
Due to the hotel being a classic 19th century Victorian building some of the rooms, as you will find in a lot of centrally located London hotels, can be on the smaller side, and while some of our guests find this characteristic particularly charming I understand that it does not suit all tastes.
When we purchased the hotel in October 2012 it was in need of refurbishment. We made that our priority and began an extensive refurbishment program which has transformed many areas of the hotel. This program is still on-going and I apologise that, when you stayed, we had not yet reached your bedroom.
We would love to have you back again in the near future and show you all the changes we have made to the property. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
Warm regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Stayed here for two nights in February 2013 and enjoyed my stay thoroughly.

The Hotel looks lovely as you enter, with a wonderfully open Reception area. There's a lift to take you to your rooms (floors from 0-5), which is useful as not every Hotel in London has one! Makes luggage an easy task!

My room was a Double Room with Ensuite, and was given as an upgrade to the Single room, shared facilities I booked. Lovely! It was very warm. although that's my own fault as I turned the radiator up before I slept, my error!

Breakfast was adequate, too. Toast, and Tea, with cereals, milk, juices, yogurts, and cheese on offer.

Clean, and comfy, and a lovely place to stay if visiting London. 5 minute walk from Bayswater Tube station, with direct access to the city via the Circle line.

Will definitely be returning.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank ExploringLondon
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I am delighted that you enjoyed both the hotel and our location and look forward to your next visit!
Thanks again!
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I booked two nights in a single en-suite room on a special offer (£40/night), which was very good value for central London. The room (No. 3) was quite small, however, everything was clean, tidy and in working order. I was a bit worried that it would be noisy, as the room was in between floors, on the landing of the main stairway, but I needn't have worried; it was very quiet.

Note that the shower has extremely high pressure (unusual for England!) so it takes a little fiddling to get the heat/pressure right at first. A decent continental breakfast (cereal, toast, yoghurt) is included in the room price, and you can choose to pay extra for bacon & eggs.

The location is great for exploring London: a short walk from either Bayswater (on Circle/District lines) or Queensway (Central line) tube stations. You can easily walk to Portobello Road, and nearby streets have a decent choice of restaurants and shops.

Staff were helpful and professional.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo