“Convenient location but very basic and expensive for what it was”
Review of Garden Court Hotel

Garden Court Hotel
Ranked #593 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here last weekend as we were in London to go to the Blur Olympic closing gig in hyde Park, I wasn't impressed with the room for the price we paid, we were on the bottom floor at the back and had to walk up the stairs to use the shower. The room was also extremely noisy. On the day we checked out we wanted to leave our luggage as we had a few hours to spare to wander round but we were told that there was no secure area, and we could leave it in the middle of the reception room at our own risk if we wanted. I wouldn't reccomend this hotel, but the location was convenient and it is close to the tube station. If the room hadn't have been so expensive I wouldn't have been as disappointed, maybe the price was due to the fact that it was the same night as the last day of the Olympics.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 23, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights at the beginning of July when friends from Australia were visiting. Excellent location with two tube stations less than a 5 minute walk and Paddington Station an easy 15 minute walk away. Lovely quiet position in a safe pretty aread of London. Very clean and comfortable at an excellent price for the location - I booked a single non-en suite room for 50 per night and was upgraded to a double non-en suite at no extra charge. It was perfect for my needs as a comfortable clean and good value place to sleep while exploring London, it is reasonably basic with everything you need - no fuss but then this is reflected in the price. Continental breakfast was fine, nothing special. I was on the ground floor at the back of the hotel which could get a little noisy in the late evening as reception was shutting up but nothing unbearable. I'd stay here again if I wanted a cheap and comfortable base for exploring and enjoying London.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank frostygb
Reviewed July 20, 2012

My wife and I stayed here during a recent vacation in London. When I booked a room, I was supposed to be traveling alone and booked a single. My wife was able to join me at the last minute, and the staff offered to upgrade us (without prompting) to a double room with in-suite bath at no extra charge. Who does that? Incredible. That’s very representative of the Garden Court Hotel, which offers one of the best values in all of London. This is a fantastic hotel, especially for the price! We loved everything about it.

The location is superb – easy walking distance to everything, yet located on a very quiet street with almost no traffic. There is a train station about a block away, as well as numerous great restaurants, pubs, coffee shops, stores, and several Laundromats. It is also within easy walking distance to Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park.

The hotel is spotlessly clean and offers free wi-fi. There is also a very nice coffee and tea room loaded with books. Very charming. In back of the hotel there is a lovely English garden that can be used by guests.

The room was a nice size by European standards, with a comfortable bed, a small desk and chair, a flat screen TV, and a large bureau for clothes. The bath was nothing fancy, but very clean and serviceable. Our room featured a lovely view of the English garden in back. Wonderful! The room was cleaned each day with no problems. We were delighted with all aspects of the room.

The free breakfast is nothing to get excited about, but it is free so no complaints there. If you want more options, there are any number of restaurants and bakeries in the area that open early.

The staff were wonderful, courteous, and helpful. I can’t imagine staying anywhere else in London. The Garden Court Hotel was fantastic in every way. Thanks for making our short stay in London so memorable!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Passim123
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Decided to stay at this place after reading Rick Steve's book on London. Honestly, I don't why this place was even recommended. The rooms were bare bones basic, like the other reviewers mentioned. Almost burned by hands after touching the hot lights on the head boards. No shower stalls, so why didn't the staff mention about the hallway bathrooms having shower stalls to use? Found out about those by accident on my last nite there. The continental breakfast was the worst I ever experienced in Europe/London. Served in the basement, it was depressing. Packaged muesli and cheese, some bananas and apples and some yogurt. Eggs, beacon were extra. No baked goods, only brown or white toast. The coffee was just awful. The front desk staff were pleasant enough, but somewhat indifferent. Asked about restaurants, local pubs in the area, and wasn't able to get much info. Found out later after walking around, there were TONS of different places to eat, so why didn't they mention those areas/streets? I gave this 2 stars because of the convenient location to the tubes.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a night.it does not have aircondition,kettle to make tea or coffee,no safe,just bare room.i found the room dusty.the hotel has a very dull feel.the breakfast is ok nothing great.
only thing i particularly disliked was to go down for a cup of tea in the morning.
not convenient.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Just spent 3 nights at the Garden Court Hotel and are very pleased. The room was small but clean, the bed comfortable and the breakfast fine. You can order a cooked breakfast for a small fee if you like. Love the location, close to both Bayswater and Queensway underground. A shoppingmall, Whitleys, nearby and Boots are open until midnight. On Queensway you will find the Chinese restaurant The Four Season, worth a visit.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank IngridSweden
Reviewed May 12, 2012

My partner and I stayed here for one night in May 2012 and it brought back memories of how terrible English hotels can be at their worst.

First, the location was brilliant: a 5 minute walk to Bayswater tube, and plenty of food options, pubs etc along the way. We walked from the hotel through Hyde Park to Knightbridge, and on the the main sights of London. A long walk, but very doable from the hotel.

The checkin experience was great - in fact all our dealings with the front desk were excellent - they were eager to please and very helpful when we asked typical tourist questions. The lobby area was nicely presented with some quite cute lifesize bears dressed in Beefeater and Grenadier Guard outfits. So far so good.

We get to our room in a tiny lift and yes, our room was slap bang next to the lift. Since it was just one night's stay we didn't bother to make a fuss and try for a different room. The room was pretty tiny - very firm double bed (we are used to king sized beds as standard so I guess we're spoiled). The room smelled of stale smoke. There was one window, with a grubby net curtain - I opened the curtain, pulled up the ancient sash window and the outlook was pleasant enough: backing onto other residences of a similar age. The window did have a brass 'lock' fitted but was impossible to engage.

Downsides for the room:

- window that could not be locked and rattled all night long with the moderate wind outside
- no bin
- no safe
- no phone
- no fridge
- musty cigarette smells
- dusty
- WC lid not properly attached
- old, faded and slightly smelly comforter on the bed
- no aircon (but there was a fan)
- no bedside lights: instead there were 2 bare halogen lamps pointing down from a wall mounted light fitting; only one was working
- lift noise
- noise of other guests moving around - none were unreasonably noisy but the constant squeaking of the floors above was hard to ignore

After a pretty terribly night's sleep we went down for breakfast - we had been told it closed at 9:30am so were were there around 9:20. We saw that a continental breakfast was included, but we could add eggs and bacon for an additional fee. We asked for this but the 3 babooshkas sitting on their backsides in the kitchen told me this was impossible since last orders for bacon closed at 9:15am.

So anyway, we checked out, the front desk lady was very nice about directions and leaving our bags there for the day.

All this would have been fine if it has been reasonably priced - but the bill 135 British Pounds ! To put that into perspective that would have paid for a luxurious 4 or 5 star hotel in Singapore, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Sydney, or Barcelona. Might have been market rate for London but we felt extremely ripped off.

Not recommended.