“Most Lovely Hotel”

Ranked #636 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Los Angeles, California
“Most Lovely Hotel”
Reviewed August 5, 2011

I stayed recently at the Garden Court Hotel in Bayswater, London. It was given very high ratings by Rick Steves as well as Trip Advisor's reviews! It's an adorable hotel in Kensington Garden Square with shops like Tesco and M & S (food) and underground very close by. It's a stones throw from Notting Hill and Portobello Road (the most quaint shopping and eating in London, I feel) as well as Kensington and Hyde & Holland Park. The staff was VERY friendly and helpful with all my questions.The hotel is old, but so clean and cleaned daily. The rooms are small (typical European), if you're an American with standards of 'everything large', not the place for you. My room had two twin beds with a sink, closet, and flat screen tv. I had a 'shared bathroom'...toilet and shower (both very clean) and always available. There is a community sitting room with a computer and Internet, another sitting room with complimentary tea and books, and a breakfast room with complimentary breakfast (simple, but good). I highly recommend this hotel to anyone who likes a quaint, simple, and clean place with 'old London character' to stay in London. I will return for sure!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank hydeparkgirl2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Hebrew first
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed July 30, 2011

The hotel is located pretty close to a few Underground stops all in central London. I first stayed at this hotel in 2004 and always stay here if I'm going to be in London from more than a day...I just never feel like exploring other options - not when the location and the price work just fine. This isn't a posh hotel by any means, and I always go without en suite facilities in order to save cash, but it is clean, breakfast is included (though now it case one or two pounds to have eggs for breakfast) and I am familiar with it. The rooms are a bit small, but what can you expect in central London for a decent price? No complaints.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank 2worldtravel07
East of England
Reviewed June 15, 2011

Situated in a quiet and up market part of London. Literally a three minute walk from the tube and very close to a vast selection of restaurants and bars.

Rooms, although not huge, are immaculately clean. Staff are helpful and friendly.

Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank supermummy
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2011

Picked this hotel based on its great reviews and can only agree with them all. This hotel is a true gem! Small, friendly, cosy, exceptionally clean, and in an excellent central location, on a leafy square. Our twin room was a decent size. It was out to the back and we couldn't believe it was so quiet in central London. We woke up to bird song! Sure even the front rooms are quiet due to the location on a side street. The hotel staff were so friendly and helpful. Our room was cleaned daily and fresh towels provided. The breakfast was great, with excellent service. This hotel is really excellent value for money!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Katrine37
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed February 19, 2011

Stayed in this lovely hotel during a long weekend-break in January '11. The staff were super friendly and helpful with ideas and tips about what to do in London (thanks for the tip about Westfield!). The hotel was well located (for the tube and shopping, but also for walks in Notting Hill and Kensington), but since it's not on the main road, it is wonderfully quiet as well.
The room was clean, had a telly and a good shower (rare in London!) and I loved the bed (so comfortable)! Can't fault the breakfast either. All in all, I would recommend this lovely hotel to all my friends (and have already done so)! Well worth the money.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank salla13
Menlo Park, California
Reviewed January 9, 2011

I had booked this hotel because I saw good reviews on this site. My friend and I arrived in the afternoon, and although we had booked a room with 2 twin beds, there were 3 in the room we were given. My initial impression was that the decor was old and dingy. I sat down on one of the beds, and the mattress felt like a thin layer of soft foam. There dirt on one of the ratty-looking bedspreads when we got there. The bathroom was tiny; the shower couldn't have been more than 3 square feet, and there was no light above it. Everything just looked old. After going out for the afternoon and evening, we came back and got ready for bed. When my friend pulled down her bedspread, she found a bedbug, and we decided that we couldn't stay the night. We made some phone calls to find another hotel, and then we packed up to leave. The woman at the reception desk was just closing up shop (it was 11 pm by then), and I showed her the crushed bedbug and said that we had to leave. She was very nice, was apologetic, and offered us another room (which we refused). We hadn't prepaid, and she said she wouldn't charge us. The neighborhood was nice, but I was disappointed in the place initially because of the interior, and then the bedbugs were the last straw. I won't attempt to stay there again!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank bioteacher1976
Gardencourthotel, Owner at Garden Court Hotel, responded to this review, January 11, 2011
We called in a pest control company, They found no bed bugs in the room or anywhere in the Hotel. I have asked the pest control company to return since then to check again and double check and there are NO bed bugs in our Hotel.

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Escondido, CA
Reviewed December 7, 2010

Garden Court Hotel offers a good location in Bayswater, a neighborhood that's home to many inexpensive hotels and youth hostels. It's close to the Queensway and Bayswater Tube stations and bus lines, and well within walking distance of Hyde Park. Lots of restaurants and pubs are just a short walk away (and a couple of laundromats, too). Also, a shopping center has opened nearby recently, with some good food options as well (Marks & Spencer groceries in particular).
Hotel was quiet, clean, and our room was spacious, with modern bathroom and comfortable bed. A carafe of hot water was always waiting in a downstairs beverage room/library for an evening pick-me-up, with lots of teas, instant cocoas, etc. Computer is available, unlimited use for 1 pound (but printing costs a bit for the paper).
Basement breakfast space was roomy enough (holds 34), but the food --- our only dissatisfaction --- was barely adequate. I've never seen toast sliced so thinly. However, more was readily supplied upon request. Tea, coffee, juice, apples, bananas, yogurts and cereal. Breakfast pastry of some kind -- muffins, crumpets, hello? --would have been a welcome change. You could pay extra for a "cooked breakfast" (bacon and eggs). However, breakfast options are available a short walk away at the various quick-service restaurants. We never got to explore the actual Garden Court because it was raining during our stay, but all in all, this hotel is a good, inexpensive choice. We'd stay there again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple