“chorus line”

London Palladium
Ranked #123 of 1,749 things to do in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Designed in 1910 by Frank Matcham, this famous London theater has a seating capacity of 2,286.
Reviewed February 16, 2013

The theatre was cramped,poor leg room, the score was boring,apart from One, there was hardly any real singing and dancing, just cringe making,fake american accents,no scenery, no real costumes, a great disappointment, and the subject matter just so out of date.I have seen just about every musical in the west end and this is the worst.

1  Thank tawnywitch
Write a ReviewReviews (1,414)

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I went to see this show on Thursday 14/2/13 and it was well worth the effort. A high quality performance and cast and thoroughly entertaining.

1  Thank Barry O
Reviewed February 13, 2013

A wonderful evening`s entertainment, we got tickets from Leicester Square at a reasonable price as show still in previews!

2  Thank luibaty
Reviewed February 12, 2013

A theatre with atmosphere that offered an engaging version of A Chorus line. Well staged and with good performers

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Never trust a show that has no interval. It deprives the audience of the chance to escape.
I saw the show tonight and am still recovering from charisma vacuum that sucked the life out of me and the 3 other unfortunates that witnessed it with me.

To be fair, its evident that there are some good singers and dancers in the show. I've seen Scarlett Strallen before and think she's a talented performer (I hope the poor soul didn't give up her part in Top Hat specially to take part in this shambles). Its the actual "show" (and I use the word loosely) itself.

My God, its dull!!!

I really couldn't give a toss about the whiney self-pitying little tales of the participants. Perhaps that's the sign of poor acting failing to engage the audience. But its probably more the script. I hadn't researched the show beforehand (I won't make THAT mistake again) so I didn't know what it was about. After about 3 or 4 of the personal histories, I was finding it a bit slow but comforted myself with the thought that it must surely pick up speed soon and they'd never be so cruel as to make us sit through all 16 (yes, SIXTEEN!) tedious little cameos. But yes, they did.

As luck would have it, I spilled the remains of a very cold gin and tonic in my lap about a third of the way through, which perked me up a bit and actually was the most invigorating part of the evening. On the downside, I was deprived of some much-needed alcohol to see me through to the end.

And speaking of the end, the last five minutes were good and gave the cast a chance to show what they can do, and gave a cruel and tantalising glimpse to the audience of what the show might have been. No wonder the audience went wild! So starved were we of entertainment, we would have clapped a walk past by the ice-cream seller. And, by the way, its worth noting that the Marketing Dept often cynically uses an image of the last 5 minutes ie the entertaining bit, to market the show. If that's what you think you're getting - as we did - you'll be bitterly disappointed.

I may well have missed the entire point but I’m speaking as a punter who shelled out over fifty quid to see this. Imagine, if you will, an advert for a restaurant offering a gala dinner of 3 courses (canapés and drinks included) illustrated by a mini baked Alaska decorated with sparklers. How lovely! So you book it. When you turn up, you’re greeted with a canapé consisting of a glass of water and a dollop of cold mashed potato atop a Ritz cracker. “Well, this can only get better”, you think. But then you get a starter of tripe and onions, followed by a main course of more tripe and onions with mashed potato and a few peas on the side, accompanied by another glass of water. Finally, you get the mini baked Alaska with the sparklers. Even the most reasonable of patrons would feel a tad cheated and misled.

I'm fortunate enough to have seen many musicals and I really can't understand the appeal of this piece. To the people who say its the best musical they've ever seen, I must ask "WHY"? There's only one decent song. Actually, there's only one song - full stop. The other bits are all half singing, interrupted by insipid talking. A Chorus Line? A more accurate title might be “A Whining Queue”.

If you know the story and have seen this before, then go ahead and see it - you've only got yourselves to blame. Otherwise, save your money, buy a cheap bottle of wine and invite a few people, who you don't like very much, round for the evening. You'll get the same effect.

7  Thank footballersmum