“Hated it!!!!!!!!!!!! Do not stay here”
Review of President Hotel

President Hotel
Ranked #508 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 20, 2007

The hotel is very dated. Common areas are dirty and smelly. Rooms not much better, bathroom looked like it needed a good scrub. No hair dryer or toiletries. The hotel also gave my bag to travel company collecting guests from the hotel. They were very un helpful when they discovered my bag had gone when I went back to collect it from the porter. It was 3 days before I got my bag back and this was only due to the travel company calling me as my mobile number was on the baggage tag.

In addition to this the porter had the cheek to charge to store the bags, they gave me ticket, but still managed to give the bag another guest.

It has to be the worst hotel I have ever stayed in!!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (3,658)

Reviewed October 17, 2007

I checked into this hotel today and I was shocked as to how bad it was. The corridors are shabby, and it's got the feel of a prisoner release hotel! The bathrooms are awful, the towels grubby, the tea and coffee making facilities are a joke. You get a small plastic freezer bag with a single tea bag and a plastic spoon. The room was dirty, when I picked up the remote control from the desk, there was a small rectangular clean bit where the dust hadn't settled. Finally and worst of all my room stank, it was really bad. I checked out straight away. I felt so sorry for the people who were waiting to check in.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank Sue F
Reviewed October 11, 2007

I have stayed at the President on and off since 1998 without any problems. It is a basic hotel and is ideal for those who are using it as a Bed & Breakfast type of facility with basic amenities.
The all inclusive breakfast is plentiful and will sustain you throughout the day unless you are a person who loves a good table three times a day.
The breakfast seating arrangments may pose a problem for those persons requiring their own table away from other diners as there are a limited number of separate tables.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Willmac
Reviewed October 10, 2007

This is a basic, 3 star hotel. Some rooms (certainly 3rd floor) recently refurbished. Rooms a little small, but it was clean and quiet. Paid £90 per night. Excellent location in Russell Square - lots to do (shops, pubs, restaurants) with nice atmosphere. Overall OK for a cheap stay.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank Mr_M_from_Derby
Reviewed October 9, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed at the President on advice from my globe trotting mother, and we were not disappointed. As everyone knows, hotels in London are a crapshoot, and to find one at a reasonable price and to get value for your money is difficult at best.
At 90 GBP for a double, I have definitely staying in worse hotels for more money.
The rooms were spotlessly clean, a decent size, and the desk staff were friendly and knowledgeable. This is a no-nonsense, bare bones accomodation, so if you are expecting to be pampered, then, go spend your money elsewhere, but if you want a clean, well kept hotel with amazingly pleasant staff (well, except for the maids, but that was more of a comedy out of a bad movie...don't get in their way when it's cleaning time), then this is the place to go.
The best part were the day porters, whom I will name: Glen and Andre. Whatever they are paid is not enough because I have stayed in 5 star hotels that do not have porters as accomodating, polite, and downright delightful and entertaining as these two gentlemen.
The food is typical of hotel food, so if you are expecting Gordon Ramsay, then, again I say, go elsewhere. It's edible and plentiful and that's all one can ask for.
An extremely pleasant stay and I would definitely stay again when I return to the U.K.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank KatBallou
Reviewed September 11, 2007

Plus: Great location, big newly renovated room
Minus: Continental breakfast is plain (could be upgraded to a much better English breakfast, but we didn’t ask)

We spent 3 nights in this hotel. It is an old hotel but our room was newly renovated, new carpet, new washroom (shower water is really big), nice and clean. Staffs are friendly.
The room is surprisingly big and very quiet but sometimes, a noisy neighbor could be heard through the thin wall.

Just 2 blocks form the Russell Square tube station, about 4 blocks from the British Museum. 24-hr convenient store and great selection of restaurants are all nearby.

After all, we would give this hotel 4 stars

Eating tips for tourists, PRET A Manger (there is one cross street from Russell Square Station) has great selections of fresh and tasty sandwiches for lunches on the go. Plenty of good yet not too expensive restaurants can be found near Russell Square to convent Garden Market.

• Stayed: September 2007
6  Thank y10998
Reviewed August 27, 2007

My girlfriend and I stayed at The President on the weekend of the August Bank Holiday for four nights. Although obviously not a five star hotel, the room we stayed in at The President was spotlessly clean, quiet and all we could have asked for.
The hotel is well placed for the Piccadilly Line and was an easy half hour walk to Westminster.
The breakfasting room at the hotel was basic, but the food was good and there was plenty of it. We didn’t use the bar, but it looked nicely done out and comfortable. I would not hesitate to recommend the hotel to other travellers.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple