“Not as good as it was.”
Review of Vinopolis - CLOSED

Vinopolis
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to Vinopolis, a wine tasting experience tucked away within beautiful Victorian railway arches, a stone's throw from Borough Market... With eight tasting and education zones and more than 100 wines, spirits and Champagne to taste, you are sure to find something you love at Vinopolis. Do you like crisp and dry wines or prefer more powerful and robust flavours? Chat to our experts and find out more about your own individual taste profile on our interactive machines, sampling at your leisure! Before or after the wine experience, feel free to stop by one of our five onsite bars and restaurants for a bite to eat, or visit Laithwaite's wine shop and the Whisky Exchange to pick up a bottle of your favourite find. Did you know? Vinopolis also has eight fantastic event spaces that can be hired for corporate or private use.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Stairs / elevator
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

This is the first time I have been back since the re vamp, to be honest it does not do it for me.
I get that the new 'vending machines' are supposed to deliver wines at the correct temperature etc, but I think it loses the appeal of talking to the sommelier.
Guys, what have you done to the Bombay sapphire bar? That was a great part of the experience.
I do feel that this new approach is not as good value for money, which is ironic as there are less staff now.

Another big surprise is the lack of tastings available in the spirit lounge.
If you are into absinthe or foul tasting chilli vodka you will be fine.

Guys, you have the whisky exchange in the same building. Surely a decent whisky experience would be a good idea?

I still enjoyed myself, but I do think this is a backwards step.

3  Thank Jamie D

Reviewed March 31, 2013

After reading the reviews for Vinopolis I had my concern, this was gift given to us as a present from some very close family.
We first had lunch at The Old Thameside Inn this was an excellent start to afternoon, food and atmosphere brilliant. So now onto Vinopolis, I think it depends on what your expectations and previous experiences are. We had no expectations and no previous experience and I would say that the next 21/2 hours that we spent wine tasting and talking to members of staff for advice, was a most enjoyable lighthearted experience and would recommend it to family and friends.

1  Thank 19sujon58
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I like wine but my knowledge need to improve, so I decided to visit with some mates Vinopolis last Saturday.
The wine rooms are bellow the archway in a huge venue. They begin the tour with a small talk and guided visit made by one of the host. We had someone called Laureen, we really enjoyed her approach, she was very nice, very knowledgeable and easy going. Good to see people who are not snobby about wine and have great sense of humour. I will come back there very soon to try more wines!

Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband and I had our wedding reception at Vinopolis in the Great Hall joined by 100 close family and friends last December. It was such a fantastic experience from beginning to end. Patricia our Events Planner and the entire Vinopolis team were just lovely, and couldn't do enough to make our day the best day ever. The room itself was breath taking, uplighting showing off all the brick features and high arched roof, and the food (and of course wine!) was amazing. Our guests told us it was the best wedding food they had ever had at any wedding, and were literally blown away by everything. The service was second to none, the ratio of servers to guests meant that no one had a empty glass the entire night. I can honestly say that we would wholeheartedly recommend Vinopolis Great Halls as THE best wedding venue for those looking for something unique, wonderful and truly London for their wedding reception.

See more reviews
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I went with a friend to Vinopolis in December and I have to say having been many many years ago was quite disappointed.

Upon entering the building we had a quick drink in the bar which was good, nice atmosphere. However, we then went to buy tickets and had to negotiate the way in which you have to now buy tokens which are then used to purchase the wines when you get into the experience.

We were told we could go through which we did to the lecture hall, so we sat down, only to then be informed that we had to wait outside (perhaps the staff need to sort themselves out as the manner in which this was done was quite rude and abrupt). We went in once informed for the second time that this was ok to do so. The initial video and talk were ok, but not a patch on other experiences I have recently been to including Denbies which I would go to again any day of the week over Vinopolis.

We then walked around the large space, tasting various wines, but it was not long before the tokens were being used up, each wine basically costs upwards of x3 tokens (if you want something decent) and so even with the 16 tokens we had we quickly went through them.

All in all quite disappointing, despite my good friend's company I will not be visiting again, which is sad given we were thinking of it perhaps being a venue for a "girl's day out".

The customer service there needs to be improved as does the value for money aspects.