“Unbelievable service - Will definitely come back”

Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park, London
Ranked #178 of 1,067 Hotels in London
San Jose, California
“Unbelievable service - Will definitely come back”
Reviewed May 22, 2009

My wife and I just stayed there for 4 nights and I can't wait to stay there again. We arrived London with my wife's luggage being left behind in San Francisco. Believe me, my wife was quite grumpy when we arrived the hotel since she knew she would have no clothes to change to for the rest of the day. We communicated the missing luggage to the hotel staff and they immediately sent over an emergency kit up to our room that contained a REALLY nice set of pajamas and other essential toiletries free of charge. They also started our stay right by offering us with welcome drinks (coffee, coke, and cookies!).

If you stay there, be sure to use the conceirge service. They are always at least 2-3 staff members at the conceirge desk and during those 5 days we were there we'd never had to wait in line for service. They helped map out a lot of our daily tour plans which saved us a lot of traveling time. They also helped us with dinner reservations and getting last minute musical tickets to see the Wicked.

My most in-awe moment with this stay was when my wife called down to ask if they had any scotch guard sprays for her new white leather purse since her purse was getting dirty with it rubbing against her blue jeans. The staff spent 5 minutes searching around for one and they couldn't find any at the hotel. They called us back moments after telling us that the shops were going to be closing soon and they would send someone out to Harrods to buy one for us. Within 20 minutes, they came up and delivered it to our room. It was soooo crazy.

In terms of food, I wouldn't recommend getting the breakfast there. One morning we wanted to stop by to grab something really quick for breakfast. Turned out they only had 3 set breakfast menus to choose from and they were quite expensive. I think it was something like 29 pounds for pastries, coffee, and a small plate of fruit. and 39 pounds for pancakes, coffee, and a small plate of fruit. Go somewhere else for breakfast instead. :)

I also used the spa service a few times. I was really jetlagged the first night I was there and I had been up since 4am. When the spa opened at 7am, I immediately called down and was able to make an appointment for a deep tissue massage for 7:30. The massage was excellent and the spa was pretty nice. I wouldn't get the foot massage there though as the person who did it wasn't very good.

All in all, the stay was excellent. It always feels good to walk around the hotel being greeted with staff members that somehow magically have your name memorized. I have stayed at the Hong Kong Mandarin Oriental before, and while the rooms were much nicer and bigger in HK, the service there don't nearly compare to the service you will get in London.

My wife and I will definitely stay there again when we visit London in the future.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gxb2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Ipswich, UK
Reviewed May 21, 2009

Stayed on business and black tie dinner in evening provided fantastic food. Staff friendly and always said hello as you went past. Room was spacious, clean and the turning-down service is a nice touch. Bathroom was excellent with powerful shower and expensive glasses. The bar attached to the hotel also does excellent cocktails and the hotel is a short ride from Mahiki. Super choice at breakfast and they are also very accomodating if you have a massive hangover...

Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank johnson_bear
New Jersey
Reviewed April 23, 2009

My husband and I just returned from a 4 night stay at the Mandarin Oriental. It was wonderful! We had a corner room (A Knightsbridge King) with a bit of view of the London Eye. It was quiet and well-appointed. (Well, except for the fact that European Hotels still refuse to have more than 1 or 2 electrical outlets in a room). The bathroom was pretty-albeit a little small. There were small snacks delivered to us and the manager wrote or phoned daily to see if we needed anything. The concierge was very helpful as well. The spa is fabulous and the gym has new equipment and was never very busy. The neighborhood is perfect if shopping or walking in the lovely London parks is in your plans. However, it is a bit out of the way for some of the other sites in town or if you have business in the City. We enjoyed several terrific dinners including one at Zuma which is walking distance from the hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank pmoed
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed April 17, 2009

Stayed in the Mandarin Oriental, Knightsbridge on the way the to Italy and what can I say but wow! Had an utterly fantastic stay here. Staff were attentive, informative and charming. There was a significant mistake made in our room rate (in our favour!), and after bringing it to our attention later that evening after we checked in, the manager then said that they would of course be honouring the rate offered to us. For the rest of our trip, the staff and management couldn't have been any more gracious.
As for our room, well we stayed in a courtyard suite and found it to be roomy, very well decorated and equipped and very very comfortable. Although we were on the first floor, we didn't hear any noise coming from the bar or other areas of the hotel. The bar by the way seems to have music most nights, and excellent jazz at that.
In terms of location, Harrods is only a small jaunt down the road and the Knightsbridge Tube station is just across the road. The views of the park from the breakfast dining room are a welcome diversion and are quite calming at that time of the day. We ate in a cozy Thai restaurant, Patara, a short walk from the hotel and it was excellent.
The spa at the hotel came highly recommended from other guests we spoke to, although we didn't get a chance to use it ourselves.
All in all a thouroughly enjoyable and relaxing stay in the sumptuos surroundings of the Mandarin Oriental. I am fully looking forward to our next visit!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CelticTigerII
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 9, 2009

Hotels can be like people, in that their beauty is sometimes only skin-deep.

Yes, this is a beautiful classic hotel in an incredible location. However, when a hotel is one of the most expensive in London, and by extension, the world, you expect them to provide hospitality, not just the appearance of such. The staff and management at this hotel were adeptly trained at going through the motions of a 5 star hotel. They were incredibly good of putting on the appearance of the staff from "Upstairs/Downstairs" or some other classic period piece with constant greeting of "Good evening, sir. How are you sir? Are you enjoying your stay, sir?"

They made the effort so often, I actually got tired of it by the 2nd day and started doing my best to avoid them.

However, when we actually engaged them in any request that was not exactly to the script, they could not respond, or did so with a smugness that bordered on contempt. We were so bristled by the repsonses of the hotel staff that we moved out halfway through our stay.

When we asked the concierge to make a reservation at a new restaurant recommended by a friend, he responded with a haughty tone that implied that as he was not aware of it, it must not be that good. (Yes, it was.)

The next morning, at breakfast, my wife ordered for herself and my son, but I asked the server to return in a minute, as I had not had a chance to look at the menu. The server not only did not return, but brought my wife and son their food and left again with my plate completely empty and my order not taken. When I called the manager over to inform him that no one took my order, he said he would have eggs brought for me right away. The only problem was that I don't eat eggs and never ordered any. The manager just assumed I did rather than asking me.

When my wife requested the cleaning staff to make up our beds in the late afternoon after my son had a nap, the woman who came did so with a thinly veiled comment that implied that it was an inconvenience for her to do so.

There are more examples I can tell to illustrate that these were symptomatic of a greater problem, not just isolated incidents. We finally felt the need to check out and move to the Halkin, a gem of a hotel with a Michelin-starred restaurant and staff that truly understands service and attention. The Mandarin's staff only understood putting on airs rather than following through with real care.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank SteveP712
Palo Alto, CA
Reviewed February 16, 2009

I stayed at the MO in Knightsbridge for 4 nights and was pleased with the hotel. Upon arrival, I was upgraded to a junior suite -- a nice touch, this behavior is becoming a pattern with MO to tempt travelers for the next stay. The junior suite on the 4th or 5th floor was clean and furniture in good condition. There was no view to speak of, unless you like looking down into a small alley and the rooftops of an adjacent apartment building!

Room service and food at the bar (I recommend dim sum and martini's) was excellent. The MO's location is unbeatable for shopping in Knightsbridge. Getting around is easy via cab or the tube.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank JonnyHei
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed January 25, 2009

Location: 5/5
The best location you can ask for in london has to be the Mandarin Oriental,,,,behind the hotel is the Hyde Park, infront is Harvey Nichols and Sloane Street and 1 block away is Harrods and all the shops and restaurants of knightsbridge are within an easy walking distance to the hotel.....also oxford and buckingham palace within 10 miutes walking distance.....
Service: 5/5
The service is great as every mandarin oriental is known for their quality of service....
Room: 4/5
The rooms are great for london, each room has a Bang & Olufsen T.V. and an excellent WI FI connection for 15pounds a day, complimentary evian water and fruit plate provided daily....
Overall: 4.5/5
Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park is the best choice in London....

• Liked — Service, location and quality of the hotel
  • Disliked — .....
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank dubai976