“Not quite as good as you would expect...”

Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park, London
Ranked #205 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Bayreuth
“Not quite as good as you would expect...”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Recently I spent one night in the Mandarin Oriental London. Unfortunately, there were some difficulties upon check-in. Having arrived quite early I was told that, unfortunately, my room was not yet ready. That in itself was nothing to complain about because, after all, check-in time was 2:00 p.m. and they were apparently fully booked. However, when I asked at about 1:30 when my room would be ready I was informed that the maids would need another 20 or 25 minutes - only to be given the same answer when I inquired again at 2:00. This clearly should not have happened. When I finally got into my room - a Park View room on the third floor - I found it to be quite spacious (it seems I was upgraded one category) and to have, as expected, a nice view. The bedroom was well appointed and the mattress was one of the best I ever slept on in any hotel. The bathroom, on the other hand, was a bit disappointing: there was no walk-in shower and only one washbasin and the traffic noise was quite loud. In the bedroom, due to its better sound insulation, the noise was not as bad but still audible. After all, there is a road between the hotel and Hyde Park (South Carriage Drive), although on the hotel's web page they make it look as if there weren't any. (Given the very heavy traffic on Knightsbridge Road I shudder to think how loud it must be in their Knightsbridge rooms.) Speaking of noise, it was not possible to leave the air conditioning on during the night because it was just too loud.
The big plus of this hotel is clearly its location: You just have to cross one road to get into Hyde Park (and, from there, on to Kensington Gardens) so that you can always easily stretch your legs or even take a long walk in (comparatively) fresh air. South of the hotel is Knightsbridge with its many shopping destinations (such as Harvey Nichols). The Royal Albert Hall with its adjacent museums is just a ten minute walk away and, last not least, the Knightsbridge subway station is literally around the corner so that you do not need a taxi even if you have some luggage with you.
I did not have lunch or dinner in the hotel so I cannot comment on their restaurants. I did try to have afternoon tea however, which was quite a disappointing experience. You can have tea or coffee only in their bar which does not have any natural light and, therefore, no view. They will tell you that they cannot serve any of the things you would expect to go with afternoon tea and only after I explicitly asked for scones and pointed out to them that they were on the room service menu could could I obtain some. Furthermore, the bar with its lounge chairs and tables is a very uncomfortable place to have anything except a drink in the evening. I really do not understand why, between lunch and dinner time, it is not possible to sit in the restaurant with its view of the park to have tea or coffee. This is clearly not what you expect from a five star hotel in, of all places, London.
Breakfast was served in the restaurant I just mentioned. There was a wide selection of cold and hot dishes to choose from and everything was (or, at least, seemed to be) of the highest quality. Service was friendly and overall very good - although for it to be called excellent that little, hard-to-define extra something was missing.
Maybe I am being a little too critical but, being a regular guest of the MO Munich and thus having been spoiled quite a bit, I had rather high expectations for this MO Hotel - expectations that clearly were not met. Not only are the rooms of the MO Munich better appointed, more spacious (within their respective categories) and quieter. And not only is the lobby and bar area much nicer and more comfortable. More importantly, service is far better in every way. This begins with the welcome by the porter and the bell boys, continues with the very friendly and competent service in the restaurants (both at breakfast and at lunch or dinner) and does not end with the maids (for example, in London I missed the sheet with next day's weather forecast you receive at turndown in Munich). If you walk the corridors of the MO Munich you will never ever come across a member of staff who does not greet you and give you a friendly smile (which happened to me once or twice in London). I am quite aware of the differences between the hotel markets of Munich and London but there definitely is a reason why on Tripadvisor the MO Munich is consistently ranked the number one hotel in Munich whereas the MO London occupies a place somewhere between 150th and 200th of the London hotels. Although they are both five stars and although they both belong to the same chain, the MO London is clearly in a different (lower, that is) league.
Don't get me wrong: this is still a very good hotel. But, at least for me, there was no compelling reason to revisit.
One thing else: Before you tip anybody, remember there will be a 5% "discretionary service charge" on your bill. I mean, you don't want to pay twice for tips... (This 5% charge will be removed from your bill if you insist but nobody will tell you that you do not really have to pay it - which I consider a rather inappropriate procedure).

Room Tip: If you go there, book a Park View room. It's definitely worth it because these rooms are much qu...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Soellner
MO_HYDEPARK, Manager at Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park, London, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Soellner, first let me say how much of a pleasure it was to have you stay with us at Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park recently and thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor. I was sorry to learn that your stay was not entirely to your satisfaction, primarily as a result of our room product. Service excellence is the pillar on which we build upon, and our aim is to consistently provide this to all our guests so I am disappointed the product let us down this time.

Your feedback on the accommodation has been noted and I would like to share that the hotel is planning for a total renovation of all our rooms and suites to include our bathrooms. Lighting and air-conditioning will also be addressed as will new triple glazing, ensuring that all rooms are fully isolated from noise. I am, therefore, confident that all issues raised will be rated higher once completed. The project will take several years to complete; however, we have already produced a few sample rooms as part of our planning and expect to commence full refurbishment in 2015.

In addition I am delighted to confirm that a new Lounge area is being planned and will be completed by April 2014 for guests to enjoy. The Lounge is next to our reception and will offer a relaxing area for our guests to meet and enjoy refreshments.

I would welcome the opportunity to have you stay with us once again to demonstrate that this was an isolated incident and highlight that not all of our accommodation is of the standard you experienced. If you would allow us to, I would be delighted to personally take care of your next reservation and ensure you are very well looked after and that we can restore your faith in Mandarin Oriental.

The Management Team at Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park, London

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed October 20, 2013

CAREFUL OF THE 5% Discretionary Accommodations Charge (they will neglect to tell you about it on check-in but will remove from your bill if you ask).

We checked in with 3 other couples at 1am after traveling all day to find that they had played the old hotel trick on us.....they upgraded us to an even better room because they were full. Mind you, we had booked our rooms 3 months ago. They put us in the TOWER which is a beautiful stage set done by someone who never saw the room and who didn't think people had clothing. We are here for a week.

Between 1am and 2am I spent my time working with one of the porters removing tables from the room so we could get around without tripping over things. There is no place to leave an empty suitcase. They had to bring a hanging rack and put it in the bathroom so we could hang up our clothing.

Breakfast in the room was fine but only 1 chair and the 2nd person had to sit on the sofa about a mile below the table.......of course, this will not be a problem tomorrow as they sent up a 2nd chair.

Last week we had been at the Royal Gardens and loved the rooms.........we will be back there next time.......not here.............they don't play the 5% hide the fee game there (or any games at all).

By the way, part of the upgrade is a "city view" of the rather ugly rooftops of London as opposed to the view we'd requested of Hyde Park.

Spoke with the Manager on Duty and he was quite pleasant and fully aware of these problems........so why don't they fix them.......so why would they put a couple staying a week in such a room rather someone more appropriate to the facilities?

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank doug100worth
MO_HYDEPARK, Manager at Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park, London, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Doug100worth, thank you for your posting a review of your recent stay on Tripadvisor. It was a pleasure to speak with you in person while you were with us at the hotel and for the various comments and feedback on our rooms and on your stay. The 5% service charge is quoted on all correspondence, reservation confirmations and marketing materials as discretionary so guests may absolutely request for it to be taken off their bill. This discretionary service charge is customary amongst many of London’s top hotels.

We are so sorry that the courtesy upgrade to a Turret Suite was not ideal in terms of comfort as well. As I commented on the phone, the upgrade to a Turret Suite was in goodwill and it is a shame that it turned out to not be ideal in terms of comfort. You are correct that these suites do not have large wardrobes, so with hindsight, perhaps a slightly smaller room but with the largest storage space afforded would have been the better option. If you would like to discuss any of these points further we would be delighted to hear from you and invite you to contact the hotel on +44 (0)20 7235 2000. We hope to be able to restore your confidence in us and if you are planning a trip to London in the future we very much hope you will consider staying with us again.

London, Uk
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Had an amazing stay here. The staff were really attentive and made you feel very welcome and special. This beautiful property was once an old Gentlemans Club and in many ways takes you back in time to Victorian England. We had a drink in the bar whilst our room was prepared and i could have stayed there for a few more!! The rooms are classic all exceptionally well presented with all the facilities you would expect from a 5 star property. The air con is great too without you feeling stuffy. The bathrooms are good and in my opinion could do with a little modernisation, however no complaints... Lunch at Bar Bouloud was well worth the visit with my first ever starter or escargo's... ill be back! T Bone steak was a beautifully tasty cut of meat and reasonably priced. My only gripe is the cost of the internet...£35 per day... didnt need it but wouldn't pay for it if I did. Not the norm in other London 5 star properties. Will be back again and the location is truly perfect. 10 seconds walk from the tube and right opposite Harvey Nichols.

Room Tip: Either a Hyde Park view room or any...go for one up from a lead in category...worth it!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
MO_HYDEPARK, Manager at Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park, London, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear JetsetJR, thank you for the review of your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park, London. We were thrilled to hear that you had such a wonderful experience and enjoyed our attentive, personal service, the drinks in Mandarin Bar and a delicious lunch in Bar Boulud, London – the perfect place to try Escargot for the first time. We were also very happy to read that you liked the delicate balance of Edwardian charm and modern amenities in all the guest rooms too. In regards to the Internet charges, thank you for this valuable feedback. Mandarin Oriental Hotel group is constantly reviewing existing policies and procedures in accordance with valued comments and suggestions received from our guests and this remains a matter under consideration. We very much hope you will consider staying with us on your next visit to London and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Staffordshire
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

We recently visited the hotel to attend a wedding.
Excellent service, the staff were very good.
Food was superb which isn't always the case when catering for 100 + guests, exceptionally tasty.
Lovely old style building with lots of high ceilings, period detail and grand rooms.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Helen C, thank you for the kind comments about your recent stay with us. We were thrilled to hear you had such a wonderful time and look forward to welcoming you back to the Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park, London some day in the future.

Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Fantastic location directly oposite Harvey Nicholls, 5 mins walk to Harrods and next to the Knightsbridge tube station. Superb service from every single employee from the moment you arrive, excellent choice of first class restaurants, loveyl breakfasts, luxurious spa - what more does anyone want / need?... Not cheap but worth it for a special treat.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear TopTable1, firstly let us say how thrilled we were that you decided to spend such a special occasion here at Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park, London. The team were delighted to learn that you had such a wonderful time and enjoyed our world class restaurants, famous Mandarin Oriental service, lovely breakfasts and luxurious spa so much during your stay. We do hope you will think of us when planning future special occasions and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

hong kong
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Excellent service, great restaurants, best Knightsbridge / hyde park location, one of the best run hotels in town. The guest rooms, however, are in need of a refurbishment. Carpets, headboards and wallpaper all look tired, even though they are clean and very well maintained.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms facing Knightsbridge. The courtyard rooms are quiet, but a little dark.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank wkcity
Dear wkcity, thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park, London. We were thrilled to learn that you enjoyed our famous Mandarin Oriental service and world class restaurants so much. We agree that the hotel enjoys a very fortunate location too, where town meets country in one address. Thank you also for the comments regarding the condition of the “tired” furnishing in your room. Your honest feedback is invaluable and much appreciated; let us reassure you that the matter is now being looked into. We would like to invite you to contact the hotel directly to further discuss the points raised with the Hotel Manager (via email at molon-info@mohg or on +44 (0)20 7235 2000). We very much hope you will consider staying with us on your next visit to London and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

New Delhi, India
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I stayed in the Park View room and must say that it was definitely excellent. The size of the room was good enough keeping mind the sizes of rooms in other similar hotels in the area.

The location of the hotel is also good. It is not on the Park Lane but is less than a mile away. I had some work in the Knightsbridge area so Mandarin was a good choice in that respect as well due to its close proximity. And, the metro station is not far away either which I found out when I decided to explore London on foot.

The Customer service is excellent and you just need to inform the staff what you want and they definitely try their best. I was yearning for some proper Indian food and I expressed my interest in the same and they managed to arrange for some good Vegetarian food that I had requested.

Room Tip: Park view is the best view without any doubt. The back of the hotel opens up directly into the park...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
MO_HYDEPARK, Manager at Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park, London, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear RajShar10, thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park, London. We were thrilled to read that you had such a wonderful experience and that you enjoyed our world famous Mandarin Oriental service so much. We are very fortunate with our location, with fashionable Knightsbridge on one side of the hotel and tranquil Hyde Park on the other, and greatly benefit from having an underground station right next to us, whilst sitting in easy walking distance of so much that London has to offer too. We very much hope you will consider staying with us on your next visit to London and look forward to welcoming you back soon.