We stayed at The Colonnade in early December, after booking through a third party website. I know that London is expensive and we decided to spend a little more for this "four star hotel." The location is good - right across the street from the tube station. The hotel marketers say that it is "5 minutes from Paddington", but please know that this is by car, not on foot. We did walk to Paddington during our stay and it took us about 20 minutes from the hotel doorstop to being inside the Paddington station. The hotel front desk staff were extremely indifferent and unhelpful and there always seemed to be people hanging around in the little lobby area. As an example, when we checked in, there was a financial advisor in the lobby counseling clients, and this type of visitor was very typical during our stay there. During our stay some young ladies had their room broken into and things were stolen, so it made us uneasy about the overall security of the hotel, with non-guests coming and going. Our room was on the top floor and it was an extremely long stair climb up some precarious staircases. My husband has sore knees and found it difficult. I am in good shape and after a few days I grew veryweary of the climb myself. If you have physical limitations, please make sure that you are not on one of the upper floors, although we ran into some folks at breakfast who had rooms on the ground floor and they said that there was a lot of tube noise in their rooms. Our room itself was small (typical of London) and in ill-repair. The bathroom window did not close or lock, so the wind was whistling in, the A/C unit seemed to be on all the time, despite our attempts to turn it off, the tiles were falling off the tub surround, the toilet flushed tempermentally and the sheets had cigarette burns in them. On the plus side, there was a mini-bar with some drink and snack options and a kettle and teapot. We were promised a newspaper delivery which never materialized and a bottle of water to our room which never showed up. I am guessing that the delivery people did not want to climb the long flight of stairs to the top floor any more than we did. Overall, negative points for security and tiredness of hotel, and positive points for proximity to the tube stop and the original charm of the old building. London is a big beautiful city and there are better options out there. We will not return to The Colonnade.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- From the sweetest smelling flowers in the lobby to the temptingly plumped sofas in the lounge, it's the attention to detail that makes The Colonnade London distinctively different. For each of our guests, there's something that especially appeals. The prospect of stretching out in a bath of bubbles at the end of the day. For business facilities - wifi, dual phone lines. But one thing is for sure: at The Colonnade London we've got the mix just right. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, Odigeo, Cheap Tickets, HotelTravel.com and Agoda so you can book your The Colonnade London reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Colonnade London Hotel London
- The Colonnade Hotel London
- The Colonnade London England