“Loved this hotel!”
Review of Hotel 41

Hotel 41
Ranked #1 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 18, 2006

I hate london! but when you have this kind of place to stay - where you can hide in the bar where you could be anywhere in the world, then I don't mind going occasionally!

There's an honesty bar - wow! and free food every night in plunder in the pantry. Calling direct can get you a great deal. Recommended if you travel alone or for a romantic weekend.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
15  Thank k8jns
Write a ReviewReviews (2,941)

Reviewed September 26, 2006

September 15-18, 2006. Small group of 4 couples spent three nights at 41. My experience there was fantastic! All rooms are similar but different. Great linens, toiletries, wonderful atmosphere! It was so awesome to return to the hotel each day after touring busy London and feel that we'd entered a private home and were visiting friends for cocktails and catching up on the day's activities. The individual Butler Service was a special treat (my husband returned to the room after leaving to grab a soda and was followed by our Butler carrying a silver tray with two sodas and glasses with ice). I would reccommend 41 to anyone wanting a big city experience but needing down time to recover each day.

The entrance to the Royal Mews (Buckingham Palace) is directly across the street. A short 2 city-block walk and you are at the front facade of the palace and are ready to see the Changing of the Guard. Victoria Station is 3 blocks away and makes it easy to access Gatwick Airport via the Gatwick Express or the rest of the city via the Tube.

Stayed: September 2006
17  Thank McBizzle1
Reviewed September 23, 2006

Stayed at this wonderful property 11 days in July. The staff was the most courteous I have ever encountered. Every day, morning, end of work day, and night, this exemplerary staff met any and all of my needs. They had my coffee waiting just the way I liked it, each day as I left in the morning, I only had to tell them once how I liked my coffee. Every morning, it was ready for me. Every night, I had a bucket of ice at 9pm, (I asked once) and never had to ask again. The turn down service, and daily snacks were very nice touches. The bathroom amenities Penhaligan's were exclusive. The location is great. Close to Victoria station, and the Palace. Walked to different resturants each night. Around the corner from Victoria Palace Theatre. Excellent shopping nearby. Chantal and her staff will take care of the smallest details to ensure that you have a pleasant stay. I would definitely stay at this property again.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
15  Thank traveljo
Reviewed July 2, 2006

We stayed at the 41 for the third time in May of 2006. I cannot say enough good things about the hotel. First and foremost, the personal service that you receive at the 41 is incredible. The staff all remembered our names and were always willing to go that extra mile to help us during our stay. From teaching me how to make a Pimm's cocktail to sprinkling rose petals in our room on our anniversary. They also obtained excellent seats for two shows and made reservations for dinner as needed.

The hotel itself is beautiful. More like staying at a private club than a hotel. The lounge is a great place to relax after a busy day (or evening). The rooms are beautiful with their black and white decor.

We will definitely be back. As soon as we can.

• Stayed: May 2006
18  Thank SarahInSoCal
Reviewed June 30, 2006

We spent 3 nights at this hotel and loved it! Right across from the Royal Mews and a short walk to the underground at Victoria Station. Had a few blips getting our luggage delivered as the elevator was out of order, but Rubens elevator was available to us. No wi-fi, but there was a computer in the lounge to use. Loved the snacks and drink availablity especially after theatre. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2006
15  Thank dchof
A TripAdvisor Member
London
Reviewed June 18, 2006

My wife and I have just spent the weekend in this hotel and I am afraid that it did not impress us too much and I sincerely hope it is not the 5th best hotel in London, which is its rating on Tripadvisor at time of writing.

Hotel 41 claims to offer a 'small hotel' service where everything is tip-top and well-run. This is not true:

The rooms are lovely - quite big and well appointed - but started to lose a bit of contemporary quality feel (and we have stayed in the VERY expensive master suite too so this is not a one-trip review). Some examples: old model TV's, the grout starting to lift from between the tiles, the electrical blinds not working.

The service is always delivered with a smile but there is really no care behind the smile - we thought that as 41 is adjoined to the Reubens they must share staff etc. and therefore they have lost that small hotel feel, which we wanted.

The room service food is adequate. Nothing else to say on this.

The breakfast that is served in the library is no more than you would expect to get in any other 5 star hotel. In fact, you may even say it would be less.

Other small criticisms that are speicific to our stay:

We had an 8am alarm call on Sunday morning that we never asked for.

Our pass key expired after one day for no apparent reason

we did not recieve our newspaper on Sunday morning - not a crime but if you are asked if you want one, why not deliver it?

The electirc blinds in our room did not work. No great problem in itself but in the 'making the room dark' scheme of things, quite important. Reported the problem to an unconcerned reception and then have 3 different people fail to make them work whilst we are eating our adequate room service meal. Had to ask the 3rd person to leave as repeating the actions of previous 2 people was probably not going to make it work...

When I came to pay the bill, not only had they got it wrong but also I realised that the rate I had been quoted was exclusive of VAT - thank you for another £100 on the bill, which by this time was looking quite large in relation to what we had received. I would like to count myself as someone that would make the connection between 'exclusive of VAT' and another £50 per night and am 100% sure that it was not mentioned to me at time of booking.

Anyway, I think that my wife and I are pretty easy going people and I would not have bothered to write this review if it weren't for the fact that this hotel is so expensive and I would not want people to think that this is the best that London has to offer. I got the impression that the place was set-up for overseas visitors, especially Americans, to get some idea of a throwback to the empire and upper-class living. What I found was a place that is not representative of modern London and surely there are better ways to blow your money in London?

The long and short of it is that you will always have a pleasant stay here but I wonder if there are better places to go?

• Stayed: June 2006
33  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 28, 2006

41 is an excellent hotel, offering something different than the larger london hotels. The hotel is entirely set on the 5th Floor of 41 Buckingham Palace Road ( it used to be the grand ballroom for the Ruebens next door).

Everthing is based around the Excecutive Lounge which has the feeling of and Gentlemans Club. Breakfast is served, as well as evening drinks, and if you are feeling peckish at any time you can 'raid the pantry'.

We had a split level suite, which had a small seeting area downstairs with a desk, chairs and a flat screen TV. This area was overlooked by a small gallery which was the bedroom. The bed was hugely comfortable. There was another flat screen TV in the bedroom.

The bathroom was very large. A very good size walk in shower with very good pressure. The jacuzzi bath was wonderfull. Very long, wide, deep and another flat screen TV to watch while you soaked.

Staff are attentive, but not intrusive, making the effort to remember names. We had a 'Romantic' Turn Down Service which consisted of a heart made from rose petals on the bed, as well as two roses, bottled water and the next days weather forecast. Also canpes are offered in your room early evening which was a very nice touch.

The only fault we had was at breakfast. I had to ask for an English breakfast (rather than being asked for an order) and when it arrived it was pretty much stone cold. They staff were of course extremely apologetic and immediately offered a fresh replacement.

Overall this is a superb choice if you want that personal touch, in intermit surroundings.

• Stayed: May 2006