New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hotel 41

Hotel 41
Ranked #1 of 1,071 Hotels in London
Brighton, United Kingdom
“a week of royal indulgence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I wanted to stay somewhere close to Buckingham Palace where I would be attending a ceremony to receive my CBE. This hotel could not be closer, opposite the Royal Mews and only a few minutes walk to the Palace gates. I booked 3 nights in a Junior Suite taking advantage of the 3 nights for 2 suite offer. My Aunt came down from Scotland for the event and we arrived on the Monday afternoon to a warm welcome and a glass of champagne. Contrary to a recent review we found the staff to be very genuine, friendly and eager to make our stay the very best that it could be. The suite was great and being split level, felt like a little flat. We arrived to tropical fruit and bottle of champagne on ice. We felt immediately relaxed and enjoyed our beauty sleep in preparation of the big day. After the investiture we all enjoyed a few bottles of champagne in front of the open fire in the executive lounge which was perfect. As well as attending a number of shows we made sure that we had a few nights in so that we could really enjoy the Hotel 41 experience which included watching a film in the jacuzzi bath (not together!) and the 'plunder the pantry' (together!) which is the complimentary goodies served from 8.30pm - 1.am; smoked salmon, pate, individual shepherds pie's, bread, cheese etc and the honesty bar. On our last night we chatted until 1am in front of the fire before our last sleep in the mammoth uber king size bed. We were enjoying it so much that we stayed on for an extra night. Of course now it is hard to imagine staying anywhere else and i would rather go here once every 2 years than have 4 stays elsewhere in the same time period. The standards of service are extremely high and all the breakfasts and other meals we had in our rooms were delicious. We enjoyed meeting a number of the staff and learning about their backgrounds and how they had come to Hotel 41 and found them all friendly, sincere and conscientious, a credit to the team. The housekeeping staff were also lovely and the turndown service meant coming home to a lit fire, soft music, candles and little treats. They really did make it the trip of a lifetime for us. I might start saving now for my 50th! Hotel 41 was the best choice. I visited the Royals and then got treated like one!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank macgirl31

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Returning to our regular hotel - well, more of a return to our friends and the 41 family. We stay here about once a month on business in the city and occasionally include leisure. On this occasion, it was a sudden need to be in Town for an extra fitting for a mother-of-the-bride outfit. As always, the staff were welcoming, friendly and professional. Our visit happened to coincide with my birthday week, which we celebrated with dinner at a favourite restaurant. On our return, in addition to the card, there was a beautiful celebration turn down in our room, sincere felicitations from all the staff, including the housekeeper this morning. As usual, our every need was catered for and often anticipated. The raid the larder facility provided a late night cheese and port on the settee by the fireside. On a bitterly cold night, the warmth and care was hugely appreciated. Breakfast was excellent, and included a special tea which Lauren had sourced for us from a discussion during a previous visit. The lovely cold buffet was followed by omelette and crisp bacon, superb and rounded off a wonderful stay. Bless you, 41, you keep me sane.

Room Tip: One of several favourites, 4109
1 Thank Baggysmum
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

My fiancée and I were excited to stay here after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor but unfortunately the hotel did not live up to its reputation. The room was cramped and overfurnished with ageing furniture. We were woken at 5am every morning by staff walking in the corridor beside our room. The breakfast was mediocre and on occasions cold, as it was brought up from the kitchen at the hotel next door. The service was variable. The manager was delightful and helpful but some if her staff felt the need to patronise us and lacked authenticity. I think this hotel is trying to capture a private club environment but it just doesn't work. I have stayedvat private London clubs in the past and this felt like a Disney version. Would not stay again!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Cgri5
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at Hotel 41, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of 41 on Tripadvisor. Any kind of feedback is always gratefully received, as it assists me in monitoring the service we provide and helps me seek to find improvement wherever necessary.

I really am very sorry that there were elements of your stay with us in November last year that you did not enjoy and that you found the style of 41 and the experience it provides not to be to your liking. It is true that 41 by nature differs in some ways from many of the more established 5 star hotels in London. At 41 we and many of our regular guests feel this to be one of the charms of 41 and our ability to provide something very unique amongst London 5 star hotels has won us many fans and regular guests over the years that 41 has opened its doors as a hotel.

I am disappointed to know that you were dissatisfied with the quality of our breakfast and am sorry that we did not have the opportunity to discuss this during your time at the hotel. We receive so many positive comments about our breakfast, which is actually prepared in kitchens unique to 41, albeit on the floor below the level of the Executive Lounge, where breakfast is served. This is not uncommon in many boutique hotels located in older buildings, as it allows us to provide a greater dining experience and menu choice than perhaps would be the case from a smaller kitchen

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused and be assured that I have taken on board your service comments and preferences and have reviewed each point with my team, looking to find any experience improvements wherever possible. I have also reiterated to them the importance of going about their duties with care and consideration for our in-house guests, which is a point I have highlighted particularly to my early housekeeping team, who start at 7am.

I am very sorry that your experience was not as positive as that of others on this site but thank you for sharing this with us and highlighting areas where improvement may be found.

Yours sincerely,

Malcolm Hendry
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

This place is simply amazing!
The entrance is tucked away beside the Ruben's hotel and is essentially one of the floors of this establishment run separately.
The room we stayed in was the opulent Master Conservatory Suite which extends over two levels and boasts a massive skylight in the upstairs bedroom. A little noisy at night, but I suspect most places in central London are...

What sets this place apart though, are the people.
There is a lounge room constantly staffed by the most knowledgeable, helpful and friendly people of any place we've stayed.Bar none. Period.
They just welcomed us in, and made us feel at home right from the very start. Unobtrusive, but always immediately available.
The lounge and all of its amenities felt like a spacious extension of our room, and the staff made us feel just like we were staying with (ridiculously wealthy) dear friends.
Most certainly the best place to stay in London.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
7 Thank BradHockey
Cork
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

A return visitor to Hotel 41. I think what makes this hotel stand out from the crowd is the focus on a high quality service. Of course the prime location is also a key factor. If your looking for cheap - go somewhere else. But if your looking for a world class hotel with high guest service levels this hotel will not disappoint. Treat yourself.

Congrats to management and staff. Keep it up.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank spacestar5
Colchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

You will struggle to find better service and attention to detail than at Hotel.

I'm not going to spoilt it for you by telling you all the lovely things they do to delight you but you will not be dissapointed. Really personal memorable touches that we have not experienced anywhere. Are well travelled, always 5 star hotels - few can compare.

There the many nice things Lauren and the team did to make our anniversary special but the 2 stand out items were....
1. The special turndown, soooo romantic. I'm not saying anything as the surprise was everything.
2. Lauren knew that we had left our son at home for our special night. When we checked out, she gave us a beautiful bag of sweeties and chocolates all tied with red ribbons.

Thank you Hotel 41, we hope to see you again soon

Room Tip: We had an executive deluxe. The room was not massive but was a good size and to such a high standard...
2 Thank Ksw72Colchester
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Hotel 41. The service was exceptional, and the staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome. Nicole in particular was very helpful with recommendations and advise, and was even able to locate tickets to a sold out show. I will recommend this hotel to all of my family and friends.

1 Thank Andrew T