3,088 results
All reviewsthe executive loungebuckingham palaceprivate clubconservatory suiteromantic turndowna hot water bottlechampagne on arrivalrose petalscomplimentary snackshonesty barvictoria stationturn down servicemoment you arrivelittle toucheslounge areathe entire stafffifth floor
Reviewed June 17, 2012

I chose this hotel for a trip to London to celebrate my wife's 50th birthday having done a fair amount of research on the internet. From the moment we arrived we were very well treated by the team, in particular Magdalena, who ensured we had all the necessary information for our stay. When we arrived we were handed a glass of Champagne as we registered. The room itself was very comfortable and had real character. Nothing was too much trouble and for us the level of service struck just the right balance. We are now looking forward to booking a return visit later in the year !

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Kevin W
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I booked this hotel on Costco Travel. It sounded too good to be true. This is NOT a five star hotel by any stretch of the imagination. It is a wanna-be. The restaurant part of the package is horrid in the library at Ruebens. Hotel 41 is only the 5th floor next to the Reuben's and the floor above us was very noisy with kids and lots of creaks and cracks. Save your money for a real five star. I would give this 3 star at best. The wifi is intermittent and the free drinks and appetizers at cocktail hour does not include any alcohol. This package is fine for the non experienced traveler, but all others find somewhere else as you will be happier. The staff here was friendly but too intrusive. Read the fine print. Sorry for the lousy review but let others be forewarned. As my husband said, that is why Costco is getting a deal on these bookings.

• Stayed: June 2012
11  Thank Krischad
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at Hotel 41, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of 41 on Tripadvisor. I would also like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us during your stay.

I am sorry that your stay with us was not received as positively as we would have liked and that the boutique style of 41 was not to your liking. Being a smaller property, we do like to offer as many different dining options as possible, hence the offering of the more traditional British cuisine of our sister property’s Rubens Library Restaurant. I was pleased to hear during your stay that you were happy with the quality and choice of the menu there, but disappointed in the timing of our delivery. I would like to reiterate our apologies to you for this disappointment.

I have also taken your comments with regards alcohol inclusions back to Costco, as there are no packages that we offer on an alcohol inclusive basis, and I am disappointed that you feel that this was something that was sold to you. We are very proud of our complimentary cocktail hour snack and appetiser offering, and this is something that is enjoyed during early evening, as well as throughout the day and later on into the night by the many guests who tell us of the wonderful value that this adds to their stay.

I was also sorry that you had login issues during your stay and that you were disappointed by a small number of children that we did have staying with us at the time.

On a more positive note, I was pleased to hear and read that you did appreciate the high level of service provided by my team here. They have such passion for what they do and always try to exceed guests’ expectations. They enjoy providing our guests with the unobtrusive but highly personalised service, which is a big part of what makes staying at 41 such a memorable experience.

I am sorry that you did not find your experience at 41 as enjoyable as others on this site did but would like to thank you for your feedback.

Yours sincerely,

Malcolm Hendry

Reviewed June 14, 2012

My wife and I staed at 41 in March 2012 and had a wonderful time. It was our second stay at 41 and at the end of our first stay we said that the service was amazing, the food great but our room was a bit small. Well, on check in at the start of our second stay we were absolutely delighted to find that they had given us a bigger room (with no complaining just a reference in our check out review). We were treated to the usual amazing service during the stay but I must confess the topper was on my birthday when without requesting it, the staff gave us the romantic turndown (look it up) without notice and without charge!! I have never stayed at a hotel that has read my mind on what I wanted and did it before I could ask like 41. Iwish all hotels were this amazing. Please stay here when you are in London, everything else pales in comparison.

Room Tip: Just ask and they will deliver anything within the possible and sometimes more.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Andy R
Reviewed June 13, 2012

We stayed at Hotel 41 for 2 nights during the Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations and picked it specifically because of its great location (right next to Buckingham Palace) and the excellent reviews we’d read on Trip advisor. We'd stayed at another Red Carnation Hotel previously (The Milestone) and enjoyed the experience so much we thought it couldn’t get any better but we were wrong! The team at 41 really do make this hotel rank as the best we’ve ever stayed in.

The service was truly exceptional and is what we’ve talked about most to anyone who’d listen since we got back home! From the minute we arrived until we left, everyone we met treated you like a member of the family rather than a hotel guest. A special mention goes out to Frederic, Monika and Malcolm, all of whom went out of their way to ensure we had a really special stay, the highlight of which was watching the jubilee flypast with them all on the hotel roof followed by overindulging a little on champagne and snacks in the lounge afterwards!

The lounge area is spacious and comfortable to spend time in, it felt a bit like visiting a friend’s house. The breakfast was delicious. The ‘plunder the pantry’ is a lovely touch too. Our room was larger than we expected for London standards and was really quiet with a huge bed.

We had the pleasure of meeting and chatting to Terry Holmes and his family during our stay and it’s clear that everyone at RCH shares the same passion for delivering the best customer experience possible. We’ll definitely be back at 41 again!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank HighMaintenance69
Reviewed June 12, 2012

I am surprised that this hotel gets such great reviews on tripadvisor. The service is exceptional, but the rooms are very small and claustrophobic. The window from the room we had looked right out at another building. The room was quite small, and we felt as if we had no space to move around much. The air conditioner made the room freezing when it was on, but it soon got hot when it was off. There seemed to be no way to control it, so we had to operate it manually by turning it on and off. We could also hear the people talking in the narrow hallway leading to the rooms and in the room next to us. The hotel is really one exclusive floor of rooms in the Rubens Hotel. It has a very nice executive lounge where you can go to have drinks and snacks in the evening. The snacks are complementary. This was a very nice touch, but to me it didn't make up for the small room, the noise from the hall and from next door, and the other issues. The hotel is conveniently located near the Victoria tube station, so it was good for getting around London. It isn't exactly the most attractive area, though, or the best for restaurants. It advertises that it is right across from Buckingham Palace. Well, this is true, but it is the back wall of Buckingham Palace, which isn't at all the attractive part. Overall, it is a good hotel, but not the exceptional one that the ratings on tripadvisor seem to suggest it is.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
11  Thank kwh
Management response:Responded July 4, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of 41 on Tripadvisor. I am most grateful for your feedback, which is such a valuable source of information for me, regardless of whether it is good or bad, and helps me monitor the service we provide.

I was sorry to read that your recent stay at 41 did not live up to your expectations. Due to the historical age of the building, we do have a variety of rooms in different shapes and sizes, and I am sorry that you were dissatisfied with the size of the room you were allocated. I would be more than happy to show alternative rooms and find the perfect room to suit your needs. Please let me know on your next stay if this is possible. We also update guests’ profiles with their preferences and any information that can contribute towards making future stays even more enjoyable and tailoring the experience to the individual’s needs. As another way of ensuring all our guests’ preferences are anticipated, we offer our guest preference form as part of our reservations process. This gives the option of requesting anything you think might help enhance your experience, from a larger room, over favourite drinks and breakfast preferences, to music preferences that are played on turndown.

It is also disappointing to learn that your stay was disrupted by noise from the corridors and that you were unable to find a comfortable temperature setting on the air-conditioning in your room. I have reminded my team to ensure that they point the use of all appliances out to all guests when rooming them, but please do not hesitate to ask a member of staff for help with operating any items. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

With regards to our location, it is true that 41 occupies part of the same building as The Rubens at the Palace Hotel, as with some other properties too. We are very proud of our links with The Rubens but equally proud of our individuality as a stand alone 5 Red Star Boutique Hotel. The Rubens is a more traditional 4 Star Deluxe English Hotel, and both hotels are part of a larger complex that runs the length of Buckingham Palace Road alongside Buckingham Palace.

Yours sincerely,