“Love the location, hate the construction noise”
Review of My Bloomsbury

My Bloomsbury
Ranked #398 of 1,067 Hotels in London
somewhere on a lumpy mattress
“Love the location, hate the construction noise”
Reviewed August 31, 2007

This was my third or fourth stay at myhotel Bloomsbury. The room was smallish but comfortable, the staff friendly and accommodating, and the amenities acceptable. As a business traveler, I dislike being trapped in touristy areas, where everything is overpriced, selection is limited, and locals scarce. Fancy tourist hotels are also a tipping nightmare - I don’t need anyone to open my door or hail me a cab, thank you.

For me, the best part of myhotel Bloomsbury is its great location, just off Tottenham Court Road a few blocks from Oxford Street. From here, buses, tubes and cabs can get you anywhere in the city, pretty quickly, and if the weather is tolerable, you’re within walking distance of all of central London. It’s a great stroll neighborhood. There are funky little restaurants and shops on Goodge Street, two blocks away. Tescos and newsstands and electronics shops and conveniences abound. The British Museum is around the corner. There’s a little movie theater across the street. The hotel itself houses a popular little sushi restaurant, and has a hip young bar scene at night. There’s a friendly corner pub right next door.

All that said, here are my quibbles:

1. Construction noise - The stately old building that completely flanks the rear of the hotel is being renovated, with jackhammers and all. The work doesn’t begin until around 8 am and ends around 8 or 9pm, but if you’re expecting a nice afternoon nap or some quiet time for daytime business, you’d best bring heavy-duty earplugs. I don’t know when the work is scheduled for completion, but from the looks of things it won’t be any time soon.

2. The flat-screen TV receives something like 7 or 8 boring channels, plus a few music-only channels. If you need video entertainment in your room, bring a laptop and a pile of DVD’s.

3. No vending machines. Most neighborhood shops close at 10, the Tesco at midnight, so plan ahead. If you want a snack or a soda, you have to get it at the lobby bar, which is open 24 hours. A glass of Coke will set you back 2 pounds. Outrageous!

One more thing - try to avoid rooms facing Tottenham Court Road. Although the large double windows and heavy curtains muffle most of the sound, there is truck and bus traffic all night long. It’s impossible to open the windows and sleep with the fresh, cool night air.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank homesick_and_grumpy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Frankfurt
Reviewed August 13, 2007

I stood there for one week.
Reception was always friendly and helpful.
Room was quite small, but with everything equiped you will expect in a 5 star Hotel: coffee & tea facilities, flat TV, CD, Radio, shoe shine...
In the basement you can find access 24h to the so called library...real cool location with tea & coffee facilities, allways fresh fruits, relaxing area and 6 Internet Terminals with free use of printer and everything you need to do your admin.
The F&B was very good, always nice people at the bar / restaurant.
The location is perfect in London for Musical (Queen round the corner) shopping, clubbing...and for business.
I will def. go there again for my next London trip!

• Liked — Location & Service perfect!
  • Disliked — Room too small for a longer stay.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank SMaiss
England
Reviewed July 12, 2007

This hotel is a bit of a wierd one. I've stayed in so many hotels in Londona and all over the world that this one doesn't really stand out - except that it is more expensive than it should be for what you get and the service was very good.

1. No parking - you have to go to the NCP 5 minutes round the corner. Pain if it's raining.

2. Lovely reception area, friendly staff and very helpful.

3. Room was just about OK, getting a bit faded and bathroom was v average but with nice toiletaries.

4. V comfy beds. Everything else random and a bit small. Tiny tiny wardrobe, fiddly lamps that are meant to be feng shui I guess but are just annoying. Everything getting a bit tired, but I guess originally was very nice.

5. Man from reception phoned to say that we would we like a late check out as it was my birthday. Nice touch.

6. Man from reception walked us out in to the street under a brolly and called a taxi for us in pouring rain. 5* service in a 3* hotel.

7. Location is excellent, right on Tottenham Ct Road and all the big shops, plus near British Museum and Marylebone High St great for browsing shops and brekky.

8. Has a Yo! Suhsi next door - always a bonus.

Overall a good hotel experience, nothing too wow, nothing too bad, but I do think you can get better for less in London. Would I go back? Hmmmmm.....only if I needed to be in that exact area, otherwise I would probably try something else. If the rooms were improved then Yes, 100%.

• Liked — Great service
  • Disliked — Room was only 'ok'
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank emma580
San Francisco
Reviewed July 7, 2007

I'm surprised by all the reviews saying how wonderful this hotel is. I guess it all comes down to expectations. My experience here was a disaster. I travel alot for work so maybe my experience makes me a bit more discerning but here were the problems. You judge for yourself whether you want to deal with this place or not.

1. Price: Extremely overpriced compared to what you are getting and what you can get for the money. The room is too small with too few amenities to be worth the £150-£200 per night going rate for a double. Plus it seems like it has seen better days. The rooms carpets are dirty and stained and the bathrooms are worn and tired.

2. Loud: I was first placed in a 1st floor room above the sushi restaurant (which was actually pretty decent). The music drifting through the floor, heavy base beat, made it all but impossible to sleep. I had to change rooms.

3. TVs: In my first room it was placed against a wall parallel to bed. You couldn't see it (I thought this place was supposed to be about feng shui and smart design...no so smart.) My second room it didn't work at all. Someone came up and fiddled with it and got it to work if the wire to one of the boxes was held just so and left. I didn't have the patience to fix the thing every time i wanted to watch it (which involved crawling on hands and knees under a desk etc) So if you want a TV chances are you're gonna be out of luck here.

4. Temperature: The heat was blasting in my room and the AC could barely counter it. This was the middle of summer. It was horrible. No one could figure out how to fix it!!! And the hotel's response was simply to pretend it wasn't an issue...weird.

5. Towels: 1 per room even though it's a double? That's just plain dumb. I had to beg for an extra towel and the maid took it away the enxt day even though I left it hung on the rack indicating I'd use it again. She did this every day. She also took my shampoo each day and didn't replace. So I had to go to the front desk twice to get towels and shampoo.

6. Breakfast: What a waste of time. It was pretty lame. The continental had no fresh fruit or anything beyond some pastries. Just some old breads and danish you'd see in a conference room setting and some croissants. This was pretty pitiful.

7. Service: Pretty non-existent. And given all the problems I had, no interest in fixing them. This was the biggest issue to me. If you're gonna personalize the experience and call it 'my' hotel you really need to follow through and fix problems and meet requests as they arise. There was absolutely none of this...

Overall I'd avoid this place. Not worth the money and really nothing special to recommend it. At one time it was probably pretty nice and cool but judging on the wear and tear that time was about 5-7 years ago...

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Small, worn out tired rooms and poor service.
  • Stayed July 2007
4 Thank mgsfandla
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 29, 2007

Spent 6 nights at myhotel Bloomsbury at the end of March 2007. We booked through a hotel web site for just over $250 US. The room offered at this price was very small so we chose to upgrade to a superior room (#201) which was double the size. It was about $50 US per day for the upgrade. Our room had 2 large arched large windows in the front of the hotel, a flat screen tv, cd player, safe, desk and sitting area with sofa and chair. Very pleasant and the linens (hotel frette) were great. At the rate we paid--and considering it was London--we felt we got a good value. There is comfortable library in the basement with internet and a workout room. A nice breakfast was included with the room. The staff was friendly and attentive as well. The location is a couple blocks from the British Museum. myhotel's web site was a video tour of the hotel that it a good representation except that some spots are getting worn.

• Liked — staff and linens--big windows/great light in our room
  • Disliked — the standard room was too small
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank portiab
Edinburgh
Reviewed March 27, 2007

Had a lovely weekend staying at myhotel - good location in Bloomsbury, near shops/bars/musuems/cinema. Hotel is very stylish - lovely bedding and aveda toilettries. Staff were all very helpful and
the breakfast and bar area are lovely. Our only problem was not being
able to work the heating during a cold spell but can't really fault them on that.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank Kirsty33
tokyo
Reviewed March 14, 2007

nice modern hotel in a good location, however the quality did not match the price. room was nice inside but lacked some details, too much noise from the corridor and the floor above my room, you could hear steps and squeaking.

staff was decent, in all honesty I had trouble understanding the receptionist, he spoke in an indian type accent at 150mph.

I have no major complaints but next time I will stay at another hotel, there are many that are equally nice for a more reasonable price.

• Stayed October 2006