“Great location for visitors to the West End”
Review of My Bloomsbury

My Bloomsbury
Ranked #385 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Dublin, Ireland
“Great location for visitors to the West End”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I stayed here recently on a business trip. In terms of location, it cannot be faulted. While the rooms are a bit on the small side, they are extremely well appointed, Given the hotel's proximity to the West End, Soho, Bond St shopping and British Museum, there should be little or no reason to want to stay in the hotel room.

While staying, the front lobby was going through some renovations. While it doesn't lend itself to the most aesthetically pleasing welcome, it is a minor inconvenience. Again, given what is on the hotel's door step, there are plenty of other salubrious surroundings to hang out.

In terms of sleep quality, the bed was extremely comfortable and my street facing room had little or no sound leakage, blocking out the noise of Tottenham Court Road. I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
NYC
Reviewed October 18, 2012

A large group of us just stayed here for a couple days then checked out and moved to the much more expensive hotel down the block. They are in the midst of renovation (although the rooms are really the first place they should have started) so there is no room service and the elevator was unavailable on the ground floor some times ...really fun when you need to bring your bags down.

The beds were rock hard. The rooms were so hot at night (no air controls in my room) that you needed to open the windows so you heard street noises all night.

But the worst part is the bath. They've made it so the only way in was to shimmy past the toilet to climb in. Getting in was hard but getting out was downright dangerous. You have a very small space to get out as you hover over the toilet. If you slipped you'd land on the toilet and the only thing to hold onto is the raging hot towel bar. THIS IS NOT A ROOM FOR OLDER PEOPLE. Only the 40-under and flexible should use this bathroom.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
MadelenTobiasson, General Manager at My Bloomsbury, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Laura,

Thank you for your review and the feedback is much appreciated. I do apologise for any inconvenience caused regarding the elevator being out of service several times. As you noticed, the hotel is undergoing some transformation and in order to undertake some of the work, we needed to close off the elevator for Health & Safety reason. Due to the renovations currently taking place in the restaurant, our room service menu is limited although I can assure you when the new restaurant opens in mid-November it will provide some of the finest food offerings in London, both in the restaurant and room service.

I have passed on your comments regards the towel rail in the bathroom to my maintenance manager, who is currently assessing the heat elements and a way forward to ensure the temperature can be controlled easier.

Once again Laura, thank you for your time and feedback. If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly on frontdeskbloomsbury@myhotels.com

myRegards,
Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

Pro: Clean friendly rooms with acceptable space. Friendly staff, location in central london next to the british museum

Con: breakfast in tiny public coffee shop next to hotel. Very limited space, only a few small table you have to share with other coffee shop guests. Loud and crowded...
Only limited selection of coffee shop food is included. For All other pastries you have to pay extra.
Attention: Dangerous towel warmer in bathroom! Burnt myself by just touching the towel warmer for a second. The towel warmer got so extremly hot, I burnt myself severely.  This is dangerous and absolutely unacceptable! Staff was helpfull with first aid medical kit for burn relief but unable/ unwillig to fix that Towel warmer.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Flix61
Dear Flix61,

Thank you taking the time to share your review on myhotel Bloomsbury. Please do accept my apologies on the incident that occurred regarding the towel warmer and also be assured this is being currently assessed to prevent any further incidents.

As you probably noted, we are undergoing some changes in the hotel and the current breakfast solution is a temporary measure until our new bar and restaurant reopens in mid-November. I can assure you, the new restaurant will provide an exceptional breakfast and the bakery is just a taste of what is to come in terms of food quality and offerings.

I do appreciate your positive feedback regards the room and our friendly staff you encountered, they are here to make your stay as comfortable as possible and assist wherever they can.

Thank you once again for your time and I do hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back in the very near future.

Best regards,
West Sussex
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Where to start!
I checked into this hotel for two nights in Oct 12. The hotel charged me for a mini bar items and phone calls before I even saw the room! At £280 per night I was expecting a decent room not a room which the door would barly open due to the small size.
The Internet didn't work, the bare furniture was mdf cheap and nasty and not even functional. My in laws stayed in another room and this was even smaller! Seriously, I have stayed in bigger and nicer student halls of residence rooms. Unless you get a deal for under £80 per night his hotel is awful. The beds are cheap and they only give you a couple of pillows (you can ask for more)
The blinds in the room didnt actually stop and light coming through, they need black out blinds
or roman blinds so you can sleep past dawn.
The staff are not rude but have as much charm as the room. They didn't ask how my stay was on checking out as I am sure they avoid this question for fear of the answer!
On the second day I was getting ready in the bathroom and using the toilet when the bedroom door opened after one knock and the mini bar guy came in to check the fridge! In shock I told him he had burst in whilst I was in the bathroom and I hadn't used anything from the barely stocked fridge. About 45mins later he did exactly the same thing again, this time I was naked! Needless to say he didn't come back a third time after my outrage.
I have never written a review before but I felt so strongly that this hotel was so charmless, tatty and overpriced that i have taken the time give my honest feedback.

Room Tip: Do not stay here, choose another hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mrsfrizz
Dear Mrsfrizz,

Thank you for your review of myhotel Bloomsbury and for taking the time to share your experience. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay and please accept my apologies regarding the intrusion from our minibars team. We have currently addressed this issue with the team and provided the necessary additional training to ensure this does not happen again.

Being a grade listed building in central London, our room sizes all vary in size and are furnished to meet the needs of most travellers. The hotel was designed by Conran & Partners both in style and furniture, although aged a little still maintains the ambience of the room.

I am sorry to hear you did not feel the team you encountered had any charm. I do hope this was a one off. Your comments have been shared with the team to ensure they boost their customer care skills.

Once again Mrsfrizz, thank you for your feedback and I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Regards,
Los Angeles
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Sept. 2012...What a nightmare. This hotel has a good location, and the rooms are OK. The negatives:

* Staff aren't rude, but have zero customer service orientation. They are always busy on their computers and talking to each other, not their customers.

* They made numerous billing errors - CHECK YOUR BILL CAREFULLY! It took me 1/2 hour at the desk to check out by the time all the errors were fixed (# of days, minibar charges, etc.).

* Hotel is under contruction right now, and rooms had strong smell of construction glue. At least they could have informed us!

* Lots of little stuff was missing...laundry bags, minibar never refreshed, no coffeemaker in room, no phone dialing instructions in room

* Many overcharges...e.g., $28 for a normal breakfast with eggs and meat, $4 for a carton of oatmeal that goes for 15 cents at the store, on and on

The only reason to stay here is if you get a great rate. I didn't. What a rip off.

Room Tip: All face the street at can be noisy because of the tavern below (e.g., loading barrels of beer at 5a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank beicholz
Dear beicholz,

Thank you for your recent review on myhotel Bloomsbury. I am sorry to hear you did not have an enjoyable stay and that you encountered all the issues experienced. Unfortunately some of the issues we could not control due to the construction works taking place for the new Gails bakery which opened late September, and due to the flooring adhesive used, the smell could not be controlled as good as we hoped.

I have passed on your feedback regarding the team and billing with my Guest Services Manager. We have recently had some new colleagues joining the team and were also training over the past few weeks. I am happy to say, this is almost complete and with the new reception underway, I believe you will see a change in service.

I sincerely do hope you will give us another try in the future and if i can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly on frontdeskbloomsbury@myhotels.com.

myregards,
Cookstown, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I stayed at myhotel Bloomsbury with my daughter on the weekend of 14-16 Sept 2012. The hotel is in an excellent location with underground just minutes away, lots of cafes and restaurants in Charlotte street just around the corner from the hotel. We were upgraded to superior room which had bathrobes, slippers, bottled water, chocolates left out for us each day. Tea/coffee making facilities were provided with variety of teas. coffees, etc. The room was comfortable and inviting and immaculate. We had current magazines for our use. We did not take breakfast in the hotel so cannot comment on the food. Definitely a beautiful hotel to return to at the end of a busy day shopping!

Room Tip: Our room was facing the busy street but we heard no noise
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank tyronekathleen
Dear tyronekathleen,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review myhotel Bloomsbury. I am delighted to read your comments and that you and your daughter had a delightful stay.

Your feedback has been shared with teams at the hotel and we would like to say Thank You again.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to London soon in the near future.

Best regards
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Stayed at MyHotel Bloomsbury at the beginning of September for a hen-do with 12 other girls. The staff couldn't have been more helpful, allowing us to arrive early to drop things off, pop some things in the fridge and check into one room that was ready at 11am. Our suite wasn't ready when we came back with the group at 3pm but we were immediately offered the other suite so that we could carry on with our afternoon which was much appreciated.

The rooms weren't spacious, but perfectly decent size if you're just using them as a base to head out into town. There was enough room for two girls getting dressed up for a night out which is enough room for most! All rooms were very clean and the decor was great and individual. I didn't have any problem with noise from the street overnight so slept well.

The hotel was obviously undergoing some renovation work which I'm sure will improve what I thought was already a very slick and welcoming reception area.

Didn't have breakfast so can't comment on the food.

Overall a really great hotel that I would recommend to others for a centrally located, friendly place to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends