“magical weekend away” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #107 of 1,071 Hotels in London
East Preston, null, United Kingdom
“magical weekend away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Booked this hotel purely based on trip advisor reviews! I was not disappointed!! wonderful hotel, fantastic room and lovely lovely staff. They could not do enough for us. It was my husband's 60th birthday surprise and it was a perfect choice. Although the mattress was a little firm , oak beds don't have much spring!!! everything was wonderful. The staff are so friendly and helpful making us feel very special, thank you to them all, and much love to the resident kitty cat Lady grey, a very special girl. If you want a magical weekend in a romantic setting then the Rookery is for you!

1 Thank Helen J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Korean first
Milan, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I've stayed at The Rookery for one night (business trip). The place is really characteristic if you like to step back to the georgian period but with modern facilities. The hotel staff is very caring and kind and they are at your disposal all time. The room are very quiet and bed are comfortable; some of the rooms have very particular ensuite, no door but with velvet draping with a cast iron bath tube in the middle (pity there is nowhere to hung the hand shower, not very practical). Is definitely a nice place to stay if you are on a romantic break or on holiday not really the best if you are in a business trip.

1 Thank AlexUga
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

First off, let me be clear. I'm a business user. If I was looking for a quirky hotel/B&B in a hip area for a weekend away with my wife, it might have worked. But I wasn't. As a business user my wants are pretty simple:

1. Pleasant staff that check me in quickly? Check.
2. An ironing board so I can iron my shirt for the next day? Check.
3. A nice shower to get me going in the morning... er, no. A cast iron bath tub in fact. And a hand shower. But no curtain around the bath and nowhere to hang the hand shower. Sorry. I don't have time for a bath in the morning. I want to get up, shower, read my emails over breakfast and go. Fail.
4. A breakfast buffet with a reasonable choice (I try to keep my carb intake very low so scrambled egg and fish are my preference)? Er, no. a choice of cereal, granola or a bacon sandwich which you have to order by midnight and is delivered to your room in the morning. Fail.
5. A light breakfast room so I can read my emails while I have coffee before I take off for the day's madness. Er, no. There is no restaurant. Fail.

So given the above, I'm afraid it was overall a fail from me.

In the interest of a balanced report though... If you are on holiday/vacation, have the time to relax in a bath, and like the 'quaint' victorian feel, small windows and dim lighting, it might be for you. The staff were both pleasant and efficient. The place was clean. The bed was relatively comfortable. It was just the wrong place for me. And as it wasn't cheap it left me feeling a bit disappointed.

Room Tip: Unless you want the exercise note that there is no elevator and ask for a room on a lower floor.
4 Thank Trev550
Hampton-in-Arden, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

I was treated to a night as a birthday pressy this is truly the most special hotel I've stayed in wiyhin London.

Staff are amazing, the hotel cat is laid back, I love the concept of the honesty bar but the night we were there the seating was already tsken by other guests so we headed back to ohr room. But what a room. We were in the mist basic room yet it was filled with antique furniture and art. I loved the rolltop bath.

Unusual concept for breakfast as it was only room service so we didn't bother and went to the reasonably near by breakfast club instead.

For the first time in years we left london feeling relaxed.

I cant wait to go back

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank firefairie
Waltham Abbey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I have to agree with other reviewers. The welcome from the staff is excellent and you are made relaxed from the moment you enter. Our room was big with a very large double bed and we had a lovely bathroom with a roll top bath. The room and the hotel itself are spotless.

There is an honesty bar in the lounge which works really well and has a large selection of drinks.

The location of The Rookery is great. It is a 2 minute walk from Farringdon station. There are many restaurants nearby and plenty of pubs to drink in.

I would highly recommend staying here, either for shopping in town or as a romantic break.

1 Thank marvic140908
Berkshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

A stunning hotel full of character and characters, the staff are the icing on the cake to this beautiful hotel. The welcome and helpfulness of all the team are to be commended, everyone was smiling and you could see they truly loved their jobs. The rooms are beautifully decorated and have the most comfortable of beds which is very much welcomed after a hard days work. A relaxing atmosphere where nothing is too much trouble, I would whole heartedly recommend this hotel to anyone for any occasion.

1 Thank SJB1108
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

My fiancee booked us a night at the Rookery the evening before we got engaged and it was the perfect romantic location! Gorgeous rooms and possibly the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in! The staff were very helpful and friendly. I was surprised there weren't tea and coffee making facilities in the room, but when I phoned reception they very kindly brought me up some tea and didn't charge us for this.