“Full of Character”
Review of The Rookery Hotel

The Rookery Hotel
Ranked #260 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I have admired The Rookery's handsome façade in passing many times and longed to discover what lay within. I satisfied this curiosity with a recent stay and wasn't disappointed. It is a charming, quaint and very individual boutique hotel brimming with character. Our room, Bridget Burke was a delight, richly decorated with antiques, period trimmings and Olde World portraits, a complete antithesis to the generic style of so many modern hotels. It was a little dark as others have mentioned but for me the charm of the place greatly outweighed this. The room was also a very reasonable size for London. The bathroom was more compact but still beautifully styled and with high quality fittings. The communal parts are also wonderful, rather like a smart townhouse bolthole of an ageing English aristocrat. There is an honesty bar and you can take drinks in one of the cosy lounges or in the small garden. Staff are exceptionally friendly and the whole experience is personal and warm, there is even a hotel cat, shy and a bit overweight. Breakfast can be taken in bed or in one of the lounges, there is no restaurant as such. There is no lift so this place wouldn't suit everybody but anyone seeking a little quirk and a change from corporate chains will likely fall in love with it. The sister hotel Hazlitts which I have stayed at in the past is also fabulous, probably even more kooky with its wonky corridors and bygone air. The location of The Rookery is great, Farringdon and Clerkenwell are lovely neighbourhoods, more edgy and raffish than the West End/Knightsbridge etc, yet still very close to all the action as Farringdon tube is literally a minutes walk away. Recommended.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mrstraveller1

Reviewed June 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for four nights. The hotel is beautifully furnished & decorated, the staff is lovely, and the rooms a good size for London. Be aware that not all rooms have a shower, ours had just a bathtub with a handheld shower head - which can get a bit annoying after a few days. But, don't let that stop you staying here. Would definitely recommend! The only thing I missed here were some decent breakfast options.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kender
Reviewed June 20, 2013

dont get me wrong this hotel is FANTASTIC -if you like boutique hotels- but it does kind of has that "shining" feeling, everything is old, theres a lovely cat wanderign around, there is a honesty bar (which I loved) and thats pretty much it, nothing to do IN the hotel but certainly a very nice experience. Ive been in London various times and this hotel has been the best one.

huge pro, rooms are HUGE!! for London they are enormous.

Cons:
- even though theres a lot of stuff around the hotel, tube stations and bus stations are far away so consider that a warning if you are traveling as a tourist
- several bars close, which represent noise at night
- squeaky floor, so if someone get to the hotel at late hours EVERYONE will hear it.
- SOME rooms DO NOT have a head shower, just a bathtub with a hand shower, this for me was interesting but after 3 days, was not fun anymore...

Room Tip: get a high floor WITH a head shower, you'll thank me.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 18, 2013

This was a wonderful hotel and I stayed for a Thursday and Friday night. Some may say it is not centrally located but to me anything close to the tube (Farringdon Tube less than100 metres away) is close. It is also only one stop from Kings Cross that has access National Rail and Piccaddily line which gets you to Knightsbridge, Covent Gardens etc.

The rooms are well appointed with antiques and although I had a few issues with navigating the shower I worked it out (my own fault). The bed was comfortable and the rooms although of medium size good for London. Some may find the ceiling a little low but to me there was no issue (and I am 6ft). I was also looking for a room with character not a sterile hotel environment which I spend a lot of my time in travelling for work.

It would be good for couple but I am not sure with kids (I have a 2 year and 6 year old and I probably wouldnt have them there.) It is close to good eating places although I didnt look for 5 star establishments which I am sure exist.

The honesty bar was great as was the lounge. The staff were helpful and overall I had a wonderful time and wished I could have stayed longer but they were fully booked out

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 9, 2013

My daughter and son-in-law stayed here on their wedding night and were delighted with the room, the cleanliness and above all how friendly the staff were. How lovely that a bottle of champagne was left for them in their room with the compliments of the hotel. Thank you all very much.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michael I
Reviewed June 8, 2013

This is a hotel with style and history. The owners have turned several old shops into a quirkily hotel. Our room under the eaves had a view of the street. Great bathroom complete with tub well lit from a skylight. Charming. Great location in a very interesting neighborhood.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We stayed at the Rookery for two nights following our wedding on our mini-honeymoon to London. It is the perfect hotel for a romantic get-away with character filled rooms and a great location close to some of London's best restaurants. We stayed in the Mary Lane room at the very top of the building. It was lovely, with a big wooden bed, luxurious bedding, and a lovely bathroom featuring a claw-foot tub. The staff were all wonderful and made our stay very special arranging with my husband to have fresh flowers and a bottle of champagne in the room upon our arrival. We were able to walk all over London from the hotel and had some great breakfasts/brunches just a couple streets away at the Modern Pantry (highly recommended!). All in all, a wonderful stay and we will definitely return next time we are in London.

Room Tip: We loved the Mary Lane room, but they all look lovely and full of character.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple