“Small Nice Hotel”
Review of The Rookery Hotel

The Rookery Hotel
Ranked #247 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed January 24, 2013

This hotel is on cow cross street adjacent to farringdon tube station, i stayed there for 5 night in March 2012, It's a nice small and very well organized hotel. Hotel entrance look's like an apartment entrance, so i got confused but this is wat u get in business streets of London. There wont' be any big arrival lounge but room was fantastic.

Instead of room numbers, this hotel puts English names to each room. most of the rooms are small but decorated in royal style and i was having feeling of a king in my room. they serve breakfast in the rooms, which was very nice for me.

this hotel is very good for what you pay and you will not be disappointed incase you are not looking for other big facilities in the hotel, likes of swimming pool, clubs e.t.c...

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Mukesh81

Reviewed January 6, 2013

A beautiful hotel with fantastic rooms. We live in London and was taken here as a surprise by my fiancé - he actually proposed to me in our room! The staff were very friendly and welcoming. We were upgraded to Sir Walter De Manny on arrival and it couldn't have been more romantic.
I would highly recommend The Rookery and plan on returning soon.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank H_crawf0rd
Reviewed January 4, 2013

A friend recommended this hotel to me when I was looking for somewhere for myself and my husband to stay on our wedding night after getting married in Islington. I knew when we went to view the place it was perfect. I spent two nights there and my Mum did too - we had one double room and one single. My mother and I ate room service the night before the wedding (yummy) and the hotel accomodated me having my bouquet delivered there the morning of. Myself and my husband delivered ourselves back there in the evening for a drink in the honesty bar before bed and th4en breakfast.

It is utterly unique and excellently located - I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a stay in London away from the usual giant hotel / West End options.

Plus the free standing baths are extraordinary!

Thank you Rookery!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hayley_GLondon
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Expierience:
Stayed on 28th Dec 2013, sadly just for one night. I had made a couple of extra requests which they accomodated for me, plus we were upgraded free! Really friendly staff, and the accomodation was superb. Like something out of a Sherlock Homes movie. We loved the attention to detail including a brief history of the site and information on the people the rooms were named after.
Accomodation:
Really well maintained, very clean, so unlike anything I've stayed in before. Free WiFi. Our suite had 2 TV's and a quality audio player, great for plugging in an IPhone for my own music. Beautiful bath, lots of shiny old fasioned brass, old style loo with chain (we thought that was fun).
Location:
Excellent for exploring the West end, (Covent Garden 4 stops) from the tube line at (300 Meters/yards away) and only 10 minute walk from City of London museum, with Historic Smithfield Market, and the City of London including St Paul's very close by too. The property is very understated from the outside, and was quiet outside the night we stayed with no main traffic through route to cause concern.
Breakfast:
with no eating area there is an option for Breakfast in the room/bed with a selection of bacon roll, fruit, yogurt, and granola, or pastries. We had the latter 2, pricy but very delicious.
Would definately recomend it for a romantic treat.

Room Tip: We had the Dr Theophilus Garecieres Suite. Beautiful.
1  Thank BasingstokeAndy
Reviewed December 21, 2012

The Rookery is located in a beautiful historic building - which has been lovingly restored. However it lacks virtually all the facilities one expects from a hotel. It is really just a 'rooming house'. It should change its name and price point.
There is no car parking: the NCP is quite some way away.
The room we had was on the third floor - with no lift.
There is no proper bar: just an indifferently stocked 'honesty bar' where you serve yourself, - no cocktails, and no nice wine 'by the glass'.
There is nowhere to eat: they offer room service, but our room was quite small with no proper table and chairs. So, if you order breakfast, you may have to eat it in bed.
The decor looks lovely, but it's so uncomfortable: our bed was small double, and creaky, so we kept waking up. Our room was on the top floor and too hot, even though we turned off the radiators, and it was freezing weather outside. The bathroom was large - but there was no shower, the lighting over the mirror was inadequate, and the washbasin was cracked.
There was a wardrobe in the room, but no drawers for clothes.
And, even though you are staying in a business district very close to the City of London, the internet service doesn't work.... we had to keep going down the road to Starbucks to keep in touch with people. Would strongly recommend they get a better provider and more bandwidth.

Room Tip: Make sure you tell them you dont want a room on the third floor. There is no lift!!
7  Thank Sloth-Family
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Lovely, unique place. Amazing room, nice to be trusted with the honesty bar, staff unobtrusive but helpful when needed, set in a nice bit of London with plenty of choice for food, and a tube stop at the end of the road. Ideal really

Reviewed December 16, 2012

I'm late with this review (I stayed there in July 2012 just prior to the Olympics)

The hotel is wonderful. Unobtrusive yet excellent service; you are left alone which suits me perfectly, but there were staff readily available should you need them (I didn't).

The room was terrific, after dozens of stays in identikit corporate hotel rooms this was so refreshing. Very nicely furnished with a comfy bed. The bathroom was lovely, however if you are used to a quick shower, then factor in a few more minutes to have a bath with a shower attachment.

I ordered breakfast that arrived on time and while pricier than getting it locally, I had jet lag and didn't feel like getting up to get food (there's several good cafes and sandwich ships within 5 seconds of the front door)

The sitting room, terrace and honesty bar were lovely too. Sitting outside on a warm London summer evening was great and if you bump into a fellow guest, then it's nice to have a chat and swap stories.

I'd stay here again!

One comment - for those who have complained about noise after 11pm - this part of London is high-density and lively. That's why it's great. I think all rooms have double-glazing which should make it quiet

Room Tip: Although there may be street noise from the many pubs / clubs nearby, if you are jet lagged you won...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo