“The world under one roof”
Review of Harrods

Ranked #81 of 1,631 things to do in London
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Harrods remains at the height of British luxury retail, attracting millions of loyal customers from across the globe with its unrivalled product selection, world-class service, innovative retail theatre and historic setting. The store was opened in 1849 by Charles Henry Harrod as an expansion of his humble East End grocery and tea business. Today, it is one of the most distinguished names in the world. Seven floors and 330 departments showcase the best of luxury merchandise, from high-end fashion and accessories to the finest homewares and the latest technology. There are 28 restaurants in-store; we continue to enhance our portfolio with Galvin Demoiselle, Bentley's Sea Grill, and the institution that is The Georgian. Customers enjoy a wealth of exclusive services, such as By Appointment Personal Shopping and The Penthouse, a private suite dedicated to unsurpassed bespoke service in a beautiful environment. Other departments include the Urban Retreat at Harrods spa, a theatre ticket bureau, and The Studio, the store's interior-design service. Qatar Holding acquired the business in 2010, and it continues to guide - and invest strongly in - the store according to its philosophy: Anything is possible. Harrods continuously seeks to surpass the desires and expectations of its customers, staying true to its original motto: Omnia omnibus ubique (everything for everyone, everywhere). Harrods is located on Brompton Road, near the Knightsbridge London Underground station.
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“The world under one roof”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Harrods has changed over the years, but it is still a remarkable store to go browsing, if not buying. It's difficult to be disappointed by the variety and quality of items, be it food, clothes, glass, ceramic, wine or cigars. And if you like the bizarre, don't miss the pet department - amazing! The food hall has some truly magnificent products and the staff are very knowledgeable and helpful. You will probably need to visit two or three times just to get an idea of what's in the store - don't expect to see much in under an hour.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank longbarrow
Debbie_Ratcliffe, Guest Relations Manager at Harrods, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
I was very pleased to learn that you were happy with our product variety, and the service you received from our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back shortly.

• Arabic first
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“its Harrods after all!”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

now owned by qatar and no longer a brit though it doesnt change anything about Harrods aside from the perfume store you'll find the arabian oud in every addition of any brand that i never imagined would sell the arabian oud ! we obviosuly made lots of purchases from Harrods after all you wont be coming to Harrods every day.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank M738
Norwich, United Kingdom
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“"Lost its Sparkle"”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I may be alone in my opinion. I have visited Harrods many times over the last 40 years. This time, whilst staying in Knightsbridge I popped in, as I always love to see the Foodhall and Chocolates. I felt disappointed, a lot of staff were standing around, the store didn't seem as busy or as buzzing as it has appeared to me on past visits. It just seemed to have lost its sparkle. I saw an area in the Foodhall where they were making takeaway chicken and shnitzel rolls, it just didn't seem right, i'm sure there is a branch of Subway not too far away!

Visited March 2013
1 Thank H7FJH
Colchester, United Kingdom
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 94 helpful votes
“I want to win the lottery”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

My first trip to Harrods was three years ago when my then new "boyfriend" ( we are in our late 50's) insisted it was somewhere I had to experience at least once in my life. As part of the treat he took me to the Vueve Cliqueot Champagne bar - an an occasion I won't ever forget. So it was only fitting that while celebrating our second wedding anniversary we went back. I just love the atmosphere in Harrods - I just wish I could afford some of their glorious furniture! I would just kill for one of their beautiful writing desks and it is painfully (and dangerous on hubby's pocket) cruel allow me anywhere near the pen department. Forget handbags, shoes or the food court - all amazing - let me loose in the furniture, pens and stationery with an unlimited credit card! I wish.

Doesn't matter where you are in Harrods any member of staff will be able to tell you how to find what you are looking for.

With a new Gt Nephew to buy for the toy department was a must. I would say it is better than Hamley's. Chosing a Teddy bear was a nightmare of choice but I settled on a modest Stieff in a suitcase. Charming and a gift I hope that will stay with young Thomas all his life.

Harrods has something for everyone - for me it even gave me a romantic moment to smile about on gloomy days a and I just love to go back there when I can .

Visited February 2013
2 Thank reddragonlady
It was a delight to read your comments about your recent visit to Harrods. We hope to welcome you back to the store soon.
Boston, Massachusetts
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Never go to London without a trip to Harrods!”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Whether at Christmas, during Fashion Week or even drippy, rainy fall; this is the iconic store of London. They have everything but they package it in an amazingly enticing way! The Harrods shop inside has all of their signature goods and is especially fun at Christmas. Every floor has some treat and the restaurants and eateries inside are destinations in themselves. There is a beautiful Tea room, an Icecream parlor and even a sushi bar! Probably the most fascinating is the Food level with room after room of food groups! The candy & sweets room is like Hansel & Gretel cottage full of every kind of candy and treats! The Fish room produces a spectacular fish display daily using all kinds of fish in a fantastic creation. The floor woth lacy unmentionables serves champagne. Even the escalators are amazing with stars on the very top that twinkle. At one point we "splashed" through a floor that had liquid light! If you go to London and miss Harrods, you missed London!

Visited April 2012