“One of the best art galleries I've been to”
Review of National Gallery

National Gallery
Ranked #1 of 1,892 things to do in London
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The National Gallery houses the national collection of paintings in the Western European tradition from the 13th to the 19th centuries. It is on show 361 days a year, free of charge.
Reviewed November 15, 2013

This is a must see if you're visiting London, and you could spend hours wandering around either trying to visit the whole this or just sitting admiring certain paintings. There is such a wide choice though you'll never see everything in one go.

There are some really famouse paintings here all of it is completely free. During my visit there was also a temporary exhibition on by Landy. This I really enjoyed and was something very different from what I expected from the National Gallery.

Though there are no photographs allowed they are very happy for people to sketch in the gallery (I even saw someone who'd brought their own chair to sit in and sketch - and why not!). The gallery has a number of different activities going on throughout the day including tours, and childrens story times.

The cafe is also very good here, as are the gift shops which have a good choice of art prints, gifts, books...

Write a ReviewReviews (34,209)
All reviews
in 270 reviews
"couple of hours"
in 278 reviews

Reviewed November 14, 2013

I still can't believe it's free.
I was introduced to pointillism there and I first saw so many new names like Seurat, Signac and Pissaro. I couldn't contain my excitement when I saw so many beautiful paintings there for me to enjoy and learn. It was the very first time I went to a world class art museum, ever. So I spent time there until there was an announcement that the museum needed to close. :D

Reviewed November 14, 2013

If you miss the National Gallery, you miss the chance to see some remarkable artwork. I was moved to tears at seeing some of the religious paintings and artifacts. Love all the impressionist works, too. We were there on a Friday, loved that it was open until 9, we were among the last to leave!

Reviewed November 14, 2013

If you want to stand a foot away from the Sunflowers by Van Gogh, or the Haywain by Constable, or a thousand other world famous paintings, pop in. And it's FREE!
Mindblowing.