“A Favourite Place for Contemplation...and it's Free”
Review of National Gallery

Ranked #2 of 1,656 things to do in London
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The National Gallery houses the national collection of paintings in the Western European tradition from the 13th to the 19th centuries. It is on show 361 days a year, free of charge.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“A Favourite Place for Contemplation...and it's Free”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I lived in London many years ago and used to take my daughter to feed the pigeons in Trafalgar Square and once she was asleep indulged myself with a quiet hour in the gallery before catching the tube home. On a recent trip to London with my husband I revisited the memory without the child (now 29) and sat as I used to appreciating the reality of looking at amazing paintings by some of the most famous artists you would otherwise (without this being available to everyone) never have an opportunity to see. Even if you don't like art you need to go.

• Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Bedlington, United Kingdom
87 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 120 helpful votes
“Can we have a few more cherubs, can never have enough”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Thats ironically meant.... After a while you do become completely overwhelmed by the sumptuous range on offer. Cannot do proper justice in one visit, but the Pointillists, Turners and the Uchellos were my highlights.

Durham, United Kingdom
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Outstanding”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

My Daughter who is 14 and doing GCSE Art wanted to visit the National Gallery so I went along with her, she wanted to see the Impressionists paintings. She was enthralled and manged to get lots of information for her course. I particularly enjoyed seeing Van Goghs Sunflowers and the Monet paintings. Located in an amazing building overlooking Trafalgar Square, what more could you ask!

London, United Kingdom
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“One of the world's finest art collections”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

From the mediaeval almost right up to the modern day, this national collection is certainly one of the world's finest. With Da Vincis, Van Goghs and Caravaggios, this is an absolute must-see for anyone planning a trip to London. Free entry with a suggested donation paid voluntarily means that there is no excuse not to at least pop by on your way around Trafalgar Square to soak up a little culture. Fantastic, I could spend days on end in here and not get bored.

Visited January 2013
Ipswich, United Kingdom
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“GO! Even if you aren't an art enthusiast!”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I have to say we were popping in here to check out some paintings that my daughter had been learning about at school...only because we were in london for a few days and knew we would pass it. IT IS AMAZING! We are not art obsessed in any way shape or form but it is hard not to be amazed at the most truly magnificent paintings on display. The building itself is jaw dropping lay stunning with gorgeous windows and delicate architecture. Even our toddler enjoyed looking at the paintings. We went straight to the room we needed and looked at the paintings. I was smitten with looking at brush strokes and scenery detail. The two eldest were surprised at the sizes of the paintings and the variety and had fun guessing which paintings belonged to our project artist! They loved the historical factor of recognising scenes from history too. We only spent 45 minutes there as we had plans/booking for straight afterwards but think we could easily have spent a good couple of hours there. I can't wait to go back with and without the children. As its free its a fabulous way of helping your kids with any projects and widening the horizons!