“Sadly it was 'closed'”
Review of Hayward Gallery

Hayward Gallery
Ranked #658 of 1,695 things to do in London
More attraction details
Owner description: This London gallery offers a changing program of national and international exhibits along with educational activities, tours, lectures and workshops related to each showing.
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I was so excited to visit the Hayward Gallery after my visit 4 years ago so when I stopped by and was told it was 'closed' I was rather annoyed. Their website didn't say they were closed... in fact, they said one of their exhibits was closing soon but was open. When I prompted the lady at the front desk about this, she said 'its the free thing upstairs.' I left since why would I be excited if their own employees aren't? :(

Reviewed May 6, 2013

It was a wonderful exhibition with scintillating light sculptures. Some beautiful pieces - I especially loved the water features with strobe lighting. Then there was the phone box of infinity, the shadows in the lights and the beautiful colours achieved in many of the other pieces. I hope there will be other shows like this one.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

We went to the Light exhibit at the Hayward - it's been extended - and it is well worth it. Fascinating use of light as a medium for sculptures in darkness and environment creating. If it is still open - don't miss it.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

The current exhibition is LIGHT and it features a number of mind blowing works . However I do not think it is as good as the Dan Flavin show held a few years ago. The gallery is in the depressing, brutalist concrete part of the South bank and so this visitor is relieved that it is all due for re - development.The current exhibition has been extended until early May but I was told it is sold out.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

The "Light Show" exhibition is wonderful, with a great range of installations from the past few decades which all explore light in some way. I don't pretend to be any sort of art buff, yet thoroughly enjoyed wandering through the gallery and either getting somewhat hands on (several installations involve walking into dedicated rooms, some with smoke, strobes, film etc) or just appreciating that I was looking at something beautiful, clever or captivating.

As noted by previous reviewers, the Hayward Gallery building itself is far from pretty, but it's worth braving the bland concrete structure to check out this exhibition.